• Parrot
    • Monkey
    • Other (please specify)
    • None

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have a perching pet, but if I did, it would be a monkey. From a pirate point of view, a monkey could be trained to pilfer an' plunder quite nicely. Much more practical.

barbadossambanner0zj.jpg

"There be the chest, inside be the gold, we took them all. Spent them and traded them. We frittered them away on drink and food and pleasurable company. The more we gave them away, the more we came to realize... the drink would not satisfy, food turned to ash in our mouths, and all the pleasurable company in the world could not slake our lust. We are cursed men....Compelled by greed we were, and now we are consumed by it."

I've always envisioned a combination of the two as the perfect home defense. Imagine being a burglar sneaking into my home. You approach the mantle to steal my Blackbeard's Skull Chalice when suddenly you hear "Flight of the Valkyries" booming throughout the mansion. You turn to see what's going on when you're barn-stormed by three parrot-riding monkeys! Tolkein's Nazgul have nothing on the terror you would feel upon facing these multi-colored, poo-flinging aviators ;)

I AM BILGEMUNKY

I've always envisioned a combination of the two as the perfect home defense.

;) This line alone made me laugh out loud at work, damn ye bilgemunky! I am going to use the "multi-colored poo-flinging aviator" line in the future as well! And somehow I thought you would be partial to monkeys!

Barbados Sam, I never thought of that, youare absolutley right, a monkey would be much better at pilferin'!

Captain Jim, I can only say that you are a man of discriminating tastes!

I'm still a parrot perch me-self. By the way Rumba, how hard is it to take care of yer parrot?

Sea Captain: Yar, that be handsome pete, he dances on the pier for nickels!

Sea Captain: Arrr... you gave him a quarter, he'll be dancin all day.

I have to cast my lot with the avian. Sorry primate...Foul tempered creatures, that they can be. Not that I carry any disrespect for minkies...It's just I have issues with poo-flingers. Granted, a parrot is not the best in its' habit of messiness...But, you have to love the colorful plumage and the ability to speak.

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

I've always envisioned a combination of the two as the perfect home defense. Imagine being a burglar sneaking into my home. You approach the mantle to steal my Blackbeard's Skull Chalice when suddenly you hear "Flight of the Valkyries" booming throughout the mansion. You turn to see what's going on when you're barn-stormed by three parrot-riding monkeys! Tolkein's Nazgul have nothing on the terror you would feel upon facing these multi-colored, poo-flinging aviators :huh:

Yes, I will train an army of them, WaHAHAHAHAHAHA :huh:

Petee-2.jpg

I'd have to agree with Tish (and Badger by his pics). It's a ship's cat (or two) for me.

One of my guys is a real hunter. He keeps my father's place in the country clear of mice, and the neighbors on either side. He's a black Norwegian Forest cat that loves the outdoors, hunting and climbing trees.

A cat would be a member of the crew, protecting the food from rats. And don’t piss them off. But once you have earned a cats trust, they are loyal for life.

I remember the old Navy story of the Captain who had two cats. Named them Port and Starboard. They went out on divisions with the crew.

Many years ago, when I was training in Halifax I saw an old Petty Officer cook come down the gangway of one of the Destroyers. In his arms what a large bowl of mike. From around the jetty, all the wharf cats started appearing. These cats were huge feral animals with missing ears and eyes and other various injuries. Cats that never come within 50ft of a person started jumping around like kittens. The old PO placed the bowl down and stood back to let the cats dig in. I asked him what he was doing. With a proud look at the cats, but a frown at me (I was a young Middy at the time) he said something about these Cats were as much Navy as he was. They work to keep the vermin away. He wouldn’t make them soft, but help keep them strong.

William Blydes

I don't get lost, I EXPLORE!

CaptRob.jpg

Adventures on the High Seas

(refitted and back on station!)

I have to say Parrot....monkeys fling poo. My bird bites my hat and ears but that is it other than screaming loudly.

"If you would have fought like men you would not die like dogs!" Anne Bonney

Women who behave rarely make history! - unknown

"SAFETY MEETING!!!!" Capt. Mason

There is no problem that cannot be solved with the use of black powder!!!!!

I'd have to agree with Tish (and Badger by his pics).  It's a ship's cat (or two) for me.

One of my guys is a real hunter. He keeps my father's place in the country clear of mice, and the neighbors on either side. He's a black Norwegian Forest cat that loves the outdoors, hunting and climbing trees.

A cat would be a member of the crew, protecting the food from rats. And don’t piss them off. But once you have earned a cats trust, they are loyal for life.

I remember the old Navy story of the Captain who had two cats. Named them Port and Starboard. They went out on divisions with the crew.

Many years ago, when I was training in Halifax I saw an old Petty Officer cook come down the gangway of one of the Destroyers. In his arms what a large bowl of mike. From around the jetty, all the wharf cats started appearing. These cats were huge feral animals with missing ears and eyes and other various injuries. Cats that never come within 50ft of a person started jumping around like kittens. The old PO placed the bowl down and stood back to let the cats dig in. I asked him what he was doing. With a proud look at the cats, but a frown at me (I was a young Middy at the time) he said something about these Cats were as much Navy as he was. They work to keep the vermin away. He wouldn’t make them soft, but help keep them strong.

I be liken yer old cook and change me "other vote" from cabin boy to wharf cats!

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

• 3 weeks later...

Fer a true shoulder percher.... I'll take a Crow or Raven... much smarter than a Parrot... better talkers too..........

Fer something else, a cat... ships cats are a must!

Mainecoones are supposed to be excellent... I can't remember wot other breeds are up there too....

Oh, and I have been able to get most of my cats to perch, but the ones that are over 15 lbs, tend to get heavy after a while...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Iguanas.

Big Iguanas.

A good 5 footer will perch on your shoulder just fine, and since three feet of that is a really nasty tail, nobody'll mess with ye.

:ph34r:

Monterey Jack

"yes I am a pirate 200 years too late,

the cannons don't thunder, there's nothin to plunder,

I'm an over-40 victim of fate,

arrivin too late.........."

Fer something else, a cat... ships cats are a must!

Mainecoones are supposed to be excellent... I can't remember wot other breeds are up there too....

Oh, and I have been able to get most of my cats to perch, but the ones that are over 15 lbs, tend to get heavy after a while...

"Black Wiskers" is my black Norwegian Forest cat. Much like the Mainecoone, they are fluffy. NF cats are major hunters, love the snow and are excellent climbers. He doesn't do the purch thing though.. good thing for me actually. His claws are little razors. He just brings back a couple of mice a day. He is at my Dad's place in the country. The neibours love him since he keeps the area clear of mice. At 16 seasons, he still has the nack.

The boys I have at my place are a pair of Tabbies. The big orange one (Magnum) likes to ride on my shoulder. But he is getting big and heavy. He more so flows around my neck.... The gray one (Higgins) is a true RN cat. He loves curry, hotter the better and is partial to a Dark and Dirty (Rum and Coke) caught him nose deep in my flaggon on a few occations. He is also a freek who runs around like a top and climbs what ever he can find.

William Blydes

I don't get lost, I EXPLORE!

CaptRob.jpg

Adventures on the High Seas

(refitted and back on station!)

William!

That is most excellent...

One of our rescues (all of the cats we have were rescued from one place/person or another) named Willow, was thought to be a NF cat... until he was 2 yrs, then we finally, I think, figured him to be a persian... short stocky build, will not jump, only climb... all black... mean lil devil...

LOL, So Higgens loves curry, eh? Most of my pusscats will eat whatever I'm eating... I do enjoy curry and other hot, spicy food... tho, th' poor kitties have a bad time afterwards... especially after the time the had to have some of my Atomic Hot Wings....

I have yet to get any of them three sheets ta th' wind.... not that I try, but I have caught them with their noses in me drink on enough occasions...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org