"Ren" Faires

JoshuaRed

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The strangest thing ive ever seen at ren fair was me and my friends sword fighting in a dumpster. :huh:

Also my friend steve wielding a large very sharp double bladed axe. We were throwing various things at him and he was slicing them out of the air. Someone threw his leather jacket at him and before he realized what it was he sliced a nice cut thru his own jacket. :huh:

Clearly the lad needs to work on his swing if he is slicing all the time <_<

barbadossambanner0zj.jpg

"There be the chest, inside be the gold, we took them all. Spent them and traded them. We frittered them away on drink and food and pleasurable company. The more we gave them away, the more we came to realize... the drink would not satisfy, food turned to ash in our mouths, and all the pleasurable company in the world could not slake our lust. We are cursed men....Compelled by greed we were, and now we are consumed by it."

Aye...the best balls he hit all day were when he stepped on a rake......

barbadossambanner0zj.jpg

"There be the chest, inside be the gold, we took them all. Spent them and traded them. We frittered them away on drink and food and pleasurable company. The more we gave them away, the more we came to realize... the drink would not satisfy, food turned to ash in our mouths, and all the pleasurable company in the world could not slake our lust. We are cursed men....Compelled by greed we were, and now we are consumed by it."

This is all most amusing to me. Over here we don't have anything that compares with Ren Faire - my mind is all a-boggle. ;)

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

As far as I know the only faires that still insist on strict clothing requirements are Southern Faire/Northern Faire, and the Arizona Ren faire in the spring.

Crimeny, you still have to take 'classes' to be in S. and N. Faires!

Having worked in the costume department of S. Faire, I can tell you it really sucks having to tell someone their outfit isn't appropriete because they used the wrong kind of material, it's too bright, the color wasn't around at the time, and on and on. I'll never forget the couple that had their outfits professionally made, they were beautiful, except they used this horrible bright blue material. I would have let them go because of the work involved, but my supervisor said no to them. I was thoroughly disgusted with the behind the scenes garbage. Never did it again. ;)

hhmmmmmmm the wierdest thing seen at a ren faire???

how about a xena weekend where the costume winner was a 68 year old woman with outlandishly huge silicone breasts and more wrinkles than a truckload of old bedsheets!!! :)

what xena had to do with the renaissance i don't know other than the show traveled through time faster than the speed of light

the weirdest thing...

the middle aged (not dressed in ren clothes) woman with the dragon on her shoulder being carried away by a very large and hairy viking paid to steal her by her niece.

that woman was my great aunt...

and the niece was my mom...

and the hysterically laughing pirate was me...

I guess I have something of an "outsider view" cause Escondito was my second faire I have been too ssssssssoooooooo.....

to me It all looks like a swapmeet / costuming optional.. :)

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

Swap meet 'eh? Ye must have been by ta' Gypsy's camp lad.......

barbadossambanner0zj.jpg

I guess I have something of an "outsider view" cause Escondito was my second faire I have been too ssssssssoooooooo.....

to me It all looks like a swapmeet / costuming optional.. :)

aye, the pa ren faire has many many shows to watch comedic, talent, and sword play fights. human chess. etc. Although a large majority of booths are dealers, but thats half the fun is shopping :)its a great way to spend the day! gotta get my season pass before end of december when they are only 65$!!! lol :)

"A merry life and a short one be my motto"

Avid the PA ren faire, or live nearby? We're trying to start a club/group to do some fun things outside of the faire! www.countyerdoubloons.com/tavern

i went to the old southern faire out here in agoura years ago and saw numerous couplings occur but I were on the lookout fer said needs to pilfer looks upon others needs of frolic and passion. Then I went to Southern at Devore the friend of mine I went with was a regular goer but not a participant and walked even run ahead of me telling every woman and post pubescent girl pairs walking threes and more but always women and never men. He tell them that I was a lepper and in need of seeing as many breast as I could in order to live through out the day and I was treated to a wondrous most world reknowned breast filled day to which I have never seen the likes of since. :blink:

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

Aye Diego, I sez we try that at Escondido in April :blink:

barbadossambanner0zj.jpg

Pyrate bit at Northen California Faire........

OK Pyrates (GAoP) are not period..... but we did "play" the crowd............

I played at checking to see it any of the kids had a map tattooed on thier heads as my lover gave out chocolate "pyrate" kisses..... had fun......

and isn't that kinda the idea...........

Note: at a Rendezvouse... or Historical reaneactment that would not have beeen "right"...... but Renn Faires...... well............................. hey it works.. fun......

I always saw RenFaires as a place to wear garb loosely based on period designs. A place of free expression. If there were rules and restrictions it would be... well... ummm... an SCA event (just kidding)

The SCA events around here are patrolled by some real garb nazis.

My friends and I will wear our RenGarb at times and piss them off... you can see the steam rising from some of them.

One time I had one of these GNs walk up to me. She started to poking at a 1650's doublet I made. It was sateen, so the material was natural, but she shook her head, tisked and said "machine stitching... too bad". I snapped back... "Those Birkenstocks you are wearing... are they hand stitched?"

She departed in a huff....

William Blydes

I don't get lost, I EXPLORE!

CaptRob.jpg

Adventures on the High Seas

(refitted and back on station!)

There most definately ARE garb nazis out there in the Rennie world... a few faires that do "jury" participant garb etc.

The bottom line always seems to be more about fun than education, and faires want to make a profit at the end of the day. Pirates are immensely popular these days (there are more and more pirate performing groups popping up everywhere, it seems... not a bad thing) and some of those pirate acts are the most popular shows at particular faires. In our area, The Jolly Rodgers out of Kansas City are probably the main reason many people go to the KC faire, and on the tent circuit out here The Pirate Comedy show headlining lots of small events...

pirates are hot.

Problem is, if you garbed as a pirate of the renaissance, I don't think many patrons would recognize you as a pirate. They'd probably think you were a peasant. Sometimes you have to give the patron something they're going to recognize... they recognize the GAoP style. (Or should I say the Hollywood version of the GAoP style?) I say give the paying customer what they want!

And then steal it from them. B)

NOAH: Wow... the whole world flooded in just less than a month, and us the only survivors! Hey... is that another... do you see another boat out there? Wait a minute... is that a... that's... are you seeing a skull and crossbones on that flag?

Ministry of Petty Offenses

Patrick Hand and Sir Eric hit it on the head. (ouch) It should be all about having a good time. Like I said in my previous post, the mundanes in attendance aren't there for a history lesson, they are there to be entertained. My group (Stranglehold) spends all day interacting with the public.....doing skits and having fun with them. We feel like we are there to entertain, and we have fun doing it. Escondido was only my second faire (as a guild participant), and I can't wait for the next one!!! :D

barbadossambanner0zj.jpg

When I split this out of... shoot, some thread under Plunder, I forget which... I didn't really intend for it to turn into an "Us versus Them" thread. Remember, if you don't call me a nazi I won't call you a farb. :D

(Don't mind me, I'm just kind of touchy about that comparison.)

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Blackjohn.... never meeting you.................. I don"t think you are an Authenticy Nazi........you just try to do thing right and "period"

I turned my girlfriend onto Pyrates..... OK she is not Period... but she is havin fun...............

The authentics do not hate the fun pyrates....... we are playing the same game....

dang ... wish I could explaine it beter..............................authentic is fun.... play is also.....................

Thanks Patrick. I believe I know what you are saying, it's really a mindset. The mindset of someone who believes their stuff is "better" than yours, and they use that as a launch point for a campaign of belittling others. I agree, they should be avoided. However, you know as well as I that people being a-holes and wanting to give you crap is not related to their level of authenticity. I guess they just stand out more.

Btw, that checking kids for maps tatooed on their heads, very funny. I'll have to remember that! ;)

Hopefully our paths will cross someday so that I can say "well met, Mr Hand, well met indeed!" ;)

My Home on the Web

This is all most amusing to me. Over here we don't have anything that compares with Ren Faire - my mind is all a-boggle. ;)

Wow! I didn't know that! I'm as much "a-boggle" over that as you must be about this. I've often wondered about the tradition, what it stems from and what drives it? I don't remember them being anywhere near as diverse 20 some years ago. It's a fascinating culture.

My Home on the Web

When I split this out of... shoot, some thread under Plunder, I forget which... I didn't really intend for it to turn into an "Us versus Them" thread.  Remember, if you don't call me a nazi I won't call you a farb.  ;)

(Don't mind me, I'm just kind of touchy about that comparison.)

Blackjohn... sorry for any unintentional insult mate.

I have absolutely EVERY respect for people who do their utmost to be precise to a period... it takes a LOT of hard work and dedicated research to pull off.

What I meant by that term is somebody who goes out of their way to put down or ridicule those of us who aren't as accurate. I apologize for using it in a broad and general sense. I shall be more carefull in the future. ;)

Now... what's a farb?

NOAH: Wow... the whole world flooded in just less than a month, and us the only survivors! Hey... is that another... do you see another boat out there? Wait a minute... is that a... that's... are you seeing a skull and crossbones on that flag?

Ministry of Petty Offenses