I Didn't Know They Were in That!

Mission

Have you ever been watching a movie or listening to an actor/actress and suddenly realized they were in some drastically different role that caught you off guard? It happens to me all the time, usually with lesser known actors.

I was listening to Vince Vaugh being interviewed on a radio show yesterday when it suddenly hit me that he was Nick Van Owen in Jurassic Park: The Lost World. (I usually associate Vaugh with comedies that I can't be bothered to see. Thus the surprise.)

Similarly, I recently saw an actor in the movie Tomorrow Never Dies playing Admiral Kelley of the HMS Bedford whom I thought a really cool choice for such a bit part. Then it hit me; that was the guy who played Vogel in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade! (Michael Bynre, as it happens.)

I was also taken aback when I figured out that Doc Ock was also Satipo in Raiders of the Lost Ark - Alfred Molina.

Has that ever happened to you?

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

LOL! My husband hates it when I watch movies and keep muttering "I know that actor; I know I know that actor." Usually it's one of the supporting Star Wars actors who are only of interest to me. Sometimes it's a well-known actor either before they were "big" or doing a great character part and are almost unrecognizable.

A great movie to watch for the background characters is "Into the Night" with Michelle Pfeiffer and Jeff Goldbloom. My eyes about popped out of my head when I saw Jim Henson in the background talking on the phone in a scene in a hotel lobby. It was great! :blink:

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.

Here's one for you, Captain Grey (it was another case of surprise for me). Julian Glover played Aristotle Kristatos in For Your Eyes Only. I kept wondering where I had seen him before. Then I remembered, he was in charge of operating some BIG machinery in a movie you may have seen once or twice. :blink:

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

Agent Mitzie Elrond in Priscilla Elf Queen of the Matrix.

The other one that got me most recently was Guy Pearce. In the Count of Monte Cristo, Memento and Priscilla Queen of the Desert. I was watching Monte Cristo last night and kept thinking that Fernand should be singing something, so I looked it up today. And low it was a "Desert holiday, hip hip hip hiphorray!"

Or Agent Elrod in "Lord of the Rings....." :blink:

Oh, yeah. That one really threw me when I realized who it was. Too bizarre.

Is Priscilla QOTD worth watching? All I've ever heard about it was that it was weird. I enjoy weird at a certain level, but is it weird good or weird bad? (On my recent trip to Oz, we visited the place where most of it was filmed.)

Mission_banner5.JPG

Oh, yeah. That one really threw me when I realized who it was. Too bizarre.

Is Priscilla QOTD worth watching? All I've ever heard about it was that it was weird. I enjoy weird at a certain level, but is it weird good or weird bad? (On my recent trip to Oz, we visited the place where most of it was filmed.)

Hmm, I like it immensely. But it certainly isn't the sort of movie to have mass or general appeal.

I loved "Pricilla, Queen of the Desert". Terrance Stamp makes a good-looking woman.

You'd like it Mission, it gets into personal psychology, views on life, and our perceptions.

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.

I went to rent it last night on Duchess' recommendation (she's proven to be a very good barometer of my movie tastes so far - loved The Transporter - it would never have occurred to me to use bike pedals in quite that way...). However, the movie rental place didn't have it. B) So I continued wiring plugs in my bedroom instead of watching a movie. I'll try Walletbuster when I get another opportunity.

Mission_banner5.JPG

I went to rent it last night on Duchess' recommendation (she's proven to be a very good barometer of my movie tastes so far - loved The Transporter - it would never have occurred to me to use bike pedals in quite that way...). However, the movie rental place didn't have it. B) So I continued wiring plugs in my bedroom instead of watching a movie. I'll try Walletbuster when I get another opportunity.

Why thank you!

I kind of think of it as a feel good movie without being sappy or neglecting serious issues.

My siblings and I watched it a lot when it first came out on video. It even inspired my seven year old brother to dress in drag for a boy scouts meeting. Even now the film and more often the soundtrack is something that ties us all firmly together.

Have you ever seen his imdb info? The man has one of the longest entries I've seen.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000489/

His Blind Pew is the best!

WOW! Now this looks interesting! And everyone is in it!!! B)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064622/

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Even tho I discovered this a very long time ago, I still find it amusing:

The original Phantom of the Opera star Michael Crawford was in the corny Disney movie "Condorman". B) His goofy comedic roles before Phantom made it hard to take him seriously. People were like, "that guy is going to play the Phantom?!" But he definitely proved he could do it! B)

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

Chistopher Lee was in one of the all-time bestest and most wunnerfullist movies: Gremlins II: The New Batch. The man is simply amazing. He has a career longer than a gaggle of your average stars combined. (Interesting that he could not be identified almost immediately. He's quite distinctive looking.)

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

B)

Oh, Patrick... You either really have to see The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert and have your mind completely blown, or avoid it as if the devil were offering it to you. You'll never be able to comprehend Agent Smith or Elrond again.

"You're supposed to be dead!"

"Am I not?"

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, here's a couple for you all:

Kevin Costner was in "Night Shift," it was a Henry Winkler/Michael Keaton comedy which starred Shelley Long as a hooker. Costner played "Frat Boy #1." He's a member of Delta Tau Chi - anyone recognize THAT particular frat??

I'm sure everyone remembers Harrison Ford in "American Graffitti" but do you recall seeing him playing a bellhop in "Dead Heat on a Merry-Go Round"?

And then there's Kevin Bacon. Of course, he was great as the hairdresser in "Beauty Shop" but does anyone remember his "taxi duel" with Steve Martin at the very beginning of "Trains, Planes and Automobiles"?

But, my favorite all-time star surprise has got to be John Wayne showing up on "Laugh In" in a pink bunny costume . . .

Blackbead

"In the end, it's not the gold that sets our sails,

'Tis freedom and the promise of a better life

That raises our black flags."

This happens to me all the time ... probably too often to begin listing here -- but my wife almost always beats me in identifying Where We Saw Them Before.

It's fun watching Hagrid in old 007 movies, however. Boromir, too.

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

I was a little taken back when I saw Stephen King (author) in "Monkey Bone"

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Captain of SIREN'S RESURRECTION,

Her fleet JAGUAR'S SPIRIT, ROARING LION , SEA WITCH AND RED VIXEN

For she, her captains and their crews are....

...Amazon by Blood...

...... Warrior by Nature......

............Pirate by Trade............

If'n ye hear ta Trill ye sure to know tat yer end be near...