Re-enacting

blackjohn

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too bad they couldn't produce a TV reality program for us pirate reenactors with all sorts of period challenges (like hand sewing clothing, navigation on the open sea, evading capture, etc). "Survivor" was a joke, never watched it again after the first episode. I roughed it more as a boy scout and during primitive excursions on the Missouri river.

You'd think the world was coming to an end after watching MTV's "1970's House".

However, after watching "Going Tribal" last night on the Discovery Channel (West Papua), think I'll stick to 18th century piracy.

Yours, Mike

Pirates of Massacre Island

http://www.geocities.com/flpyrate/index.html

Try these for starters- "A General History of the Pyrates" edited by Manuel Schonhorn, "Captured by Pirates" by John Richard Stephens, and "The Buccaneers of America" by Alexander Exquemelin.

Dunno if you guys got it but we had a show here 2 or 3 years ago called "The Ship" which was a reality TV show set on the Endeavour replica in the South Seas.

The trouble with all these programs is that in order to make what people seem to think is "good" TV, the producers always pick a bunch of lazy incompetent hysterical loser who they know won't get on with one another. So, you get failures, hissy fits, screaming, crying, arguments and f**k all being done. Maybe it's their idea of reality, but if they were trying to recreate the reality of the past they should have picked people who had basic mental and physical competency. But then, people succeeding at difficult tasks and getting on with each other wouldn't be "good" TV would it? If memory serves they had more people scared of heights than history enthusiasts on "The Ship" - like that makes sense!

In case you hadn't guessed, I applied and was turned down for one of the places on "The Ship". Apparently (and this really is true) the fact that I worked on a tall ship at the time meant that I wasn't suitable. :lol:

On the other hand, did anyone see the "Pioneer House"? By comparison with the usual pumpkin-brains I thought the people on that were pretty good.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Foxe, did you see Colonial House, also by PBS? It was shot in Eastern Maine, and was "set" circa 1620-30ish if I recall.

Aspects of it were great, but damn if they don't pick the WORST possible participants everytime!

I did watch The Ship and for the most part it was ok. I would like to see it done again, except using only bona fide tall ship crewmen and reenactors. Ones willing to sign waivers allowing the producers to ditch all modern gear, from GPS to diesel engines to cell phones. Absolutely NOTHING that wasn't present in 1710. Yeah.

newbannersigtar0db.gif

We could write and tell people about it.

No doubt that TV was better in 1710. :D

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

*sigh*...you guys are merciless. I wouldn't expect anything less. :) Ok, a bare-bones camera crew on board, but that's it.

Of course a modern cruising yacht would follow behind with all 21st century necessaries...

How cool would it be? To follow a crew from London, around the Horn and across the world?

newbannersigtar0db.gif

Well, if it paid right...... Sign me up!

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

"Total emersion"

But it would be cool, to get a bunch of modern people that kind of (or just a little) know the time period....(Ok lets say Pyrate Reenactors).... and then put then into a real period situations (well maybe not "real" ship to ship combat....) I think I could do it...... but there would be a lot that was not that much fun........ (period Ships food, just kinda "pops" into mind......)

But using people that know some about the time period..... then play what it was realy like......... Some people would do well, some would be very "shocked" ..... hummm could be interesting.... the stuff T.V. is looking for..... (OK... maybe not brainless enough...) but... "A real people in interesting situations kinda thing...... "

(as a footnote) a friend gave me an aplication for Survivor (and I've never seen the show)...... but some of the questions are very funny..............

I actually like the psb "reality" period tv shows that i've seen, i have to admit that some of the people were kinda annoying, but they were picked to show that people with all the modern day blessings fair quite differetly when put into an element not their own. though a few oth the people actually did enjoy learning what it was like, though yes there were happy to get back to modern day lol. heck even just having a dishwashing machine for the few months i lived with my mom makes me really appreciate modern convinences. i love that there are things to help make my life easier, yes i know sometimes they go a little to far and make it super lazy, but i figure if people choose to be lazy that's there own fault.

i would never sign up for one of those period things, i would not be able to do all the work and such, but then again i would have been locked up in those days.

At IFOS (The International Festival Of the Sea) a while back, I was talking to one of the crew of the Phoenix from square sail (A company that provides ships for Film and TV).

Apparently we have another seagoing reality show to look forward to.

Press Gang. In which a bunch of celebrities (the legal department warned off the producers from kidnapping real members of the public, which was the original format for the show) are "Press Ganged" aboard a ship and then have to carry out various nautical tasks or face elimination by being thrown overboard.

Production had been delayed by legal action from the producers of a very similar program in Ireland which ended prematurely when they managed to accidentally sink the ship.

Yea,

Those that do not go to sca because of drunk dumb asses, along with people out of custome, well your right,

At the re-enacting pyrate events you never see drunk people or people out of custome. Oh wait........

The difference is the sca does not invite these people to come this way, we discourage it and these people are usally dealt with in the morn. Where as the re-enacting groups go in public and invite people out of costume to attend-- whats the diff. they invite and we don't? Also many of these open public pyrate gathering are held in areas where you go to bars and drink, hell many of the parties end up or start in a bar. How real and great is that. There are bad points in the sca nad in the re-enacting groups. It comes down to what you are trying to do, not always what happens. I can bet that people who complain that sca and other re-living groups are not period or let people get drunk have themselves or had a friend get drunk and acted stupid, we just don' t have the pics. Hey, we are all trying to have fun SCA or not, its how much we sit and judge what others are and are not doing. That leads to a death of the fun we once had. Do I wish we had perfect events (all in true garb, real talk, ect.....) yes, but I ignoir that which I dislike and focus on the good parts.

Delmar

Hey Delmar,

Been to the National Atomic Museum yet? I used to work on many of them puppies... :rolleyes:

Yours, &c.

Mike

Try these for starters- "A General History of the Pyrates" edited by Manuel Schonhorn, "Captured by Pirates" by John Richard Stephens, and "The Buccaneers of America" by Alexander Exquemelin.

What say ye that we throw a reenactment of the Ocracoke Orgy and get all this drinkin' out of our systems? Of course it lasts for a week or so, and we could make Blackbeard and Vane's ghosts jealous!

"Remember, on a pirate ship, in pirate waters, in a pirate world, ask no questions. Believe only what you see. No, believe half of what you see."... Burt Lancaster

iiiiii.jpg

DUM SPIRO SPERO... WHILE I BREATH, I HOPE

Do we all get decapitated the morning after or does it just feel like it?

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk

Pardon the interruption in the discussion, yet this seems to be the most likely place to post this without starting something new.

Just got an message from comrade James Nelson who related a

tale via Jamaca Rose about a re-enactor recently getting busted with a knife in a carry-on luggage at an airport. What would be the best advice/method for transporting the "tools of the trade" on an airplane for all concerned?

Best regards,

Jim-sib

Well if you have non carryon luggage I suggest putting them in that. Though I do belive if you contact the airline they can tell you how to go about thins. I understand from other sources for other hobbies of mine it is possible to transport weapons, but they need to be in a locked case, etc. however each airline is a little different which is why you should contact the airline in question.

Declare the item and check it in with your luggage. You can still travel with weapons (firearms too) they just have to be in a locked case, tagged, and sent in with the cargo area of the plane.

A knife in carry on luggage? What the hell WAS he thinking?

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Declare the item and check it in with your luggage. You can still travel with weapons (firearms too) they just have to be in a locked case, tagged, and sent in with the cargo area of the plane.

GoF

That's definitely the way to go. I travel twice a year with about 12 cutlasses, four knives, four tomahawks and a slung shot, all in a big Jimmy Buffet golf case. never had a problem checkin it, tho' it does raise a few eyebrows at the security counter. :unsure:

Monterey Jack

"yes I am a pirate 200 years too late,

the cannons don't thunder, there's nothin to plunder,

I'm an over-40 victim of fate,

arrivin too late.........."