The Titanic

This story has fascinated me for nigh on 9 years, and I still to this day am fascinated by it, now don't ask me why, I just am.

I suppose I could give you a topic but Ive not got anything at the moment.

Why not alternative ways inwhich the ship could have been saved?

or what you think of the "grave robbers" taking Items for showcase?

Why not even A discussion of its discovery in the late 80s?

And if this was the wrong place for its discussion I apologize...

I think ye are not alone, CJS, in yer fascination with the ship and her disaster. Since sproghood, I've have a great interest in this and other "modern day" maritime disasters.

An exciting moment occurred in 2002 when I went to Halifax, NS, for the first time and visited the awesome Maritime Museum. There are a number of items on display from the Titanic, as Halifax is where the hearse ships went out to bring back the bodies and other objects found floating in the water. I did not get to visit the Titanic graveyards there, but plan to on my next visit.

Also, a couple years ago, there was a traveling national exhibit that spent a number of weeks at NC's local Museum of Natural History which was called "Titanic: the artifact exhibit". Awesome. Yer receipt was a boarding pass and as ye toured the exhibit ye could see items that had been "brought up" from the disaster site. It was spellbinding and very well put together. At the end ye could check a large roster to see if ye "survived". (My boarding pass indicated that I was a 25 year old male with my family in 3rd Class and did not survive, although, miraculously my family did. It was a bit eerie to see yer name on the death list, although no surprise to me being in 3rd class.)

Finally, in New York City there is a little monument or lighthouse down near the waterfront/market area, I believe, that is erected to the Titanic.

I believe these are all the places I've visited and things I've seen connected to the lost liner.

I wonder if one of the most important steps on our journey is the one in which we throw away the map.

-- Loreena McKennitt

My fathers knew of wind and tide, and my blood is maritime.

-- Stan Rogers

I don't pretend to be captain weird.

I just do what I do.

-- Johnny Depp

Hello,

I wasn't aware that there were others on this pirate- oriented forum that are interested in "Titanic".

This is a theme that has interested me for quite some time. I have been studying it since 1979, today I have an extensive collection and a library about it, met some folks involved in it (survivors, authors, scientists etc.), and I have even made a web page about it:

attbann.gif

banner.jpg

"The floggings will continue until morale improves!"

Oh I do envy ye Ciaran, How i'd love to go see those to just be near those artifacts...but at the same time I fear doing so...I am very Empathetic you see(ESP) and would more than likey pick on some of the gut wrenching terror that filled that nigh no matter I want t'do it anyways.

And to ye Enigma that looks like a wonderful website that I've probably been t'before thank you for the link

:)

As for me my first knowledge of the Titanic came when B. Ballared discovered her the resulting media attention was heaven for a five year old enthralled with the mysteries of the ocean and even more so the machines that plied their trade above and below her waters. Since then I have found her slightly less intresting in that I have moved to older vessels and slightly less well known incidents. For example the General Slocaum disater or Roman era Pirates. This is not to say her and her sisters don't have an incredible pull upon me just less of one than in that simpler time so long ago. As for the controversy surrounding her today (removal and or retrival of artifacts) I hold little opinion we cannot see them lying in state on the bottom yet we cannot truly appreciate them on the surface. One of the more intresting things about the Titanic to me on a personal level is she setup my love of old books. Here in Georgia especially at the time of my youth that was pretty much all we had on naval matters at the local library. I spent alot of time with those old cloth covered wonders reading about her birth and demise. I quess you can say my love of history is in no small part due to the Titanic.

THIS BE THE HITMAN WE GOIN QUIET

I have found her slightly less intresting in that I have moved to older vessels and slightly less well known incidents.

Hitman makes a good point here and one that I find for myself these days.

After my first trip to Nova Scotia in 2002 (and again in 2004) I found myself reading and researching the shipwrecks of Canada much more. Three great Canadian maritime disasters that I have captivated me are: the SS Atlantic lost off Nova Scotia in 1873, the loss of the Empress of Ireland in the St. Lawrence in 1914, and the Halifax Explosion. These disasters are staggering in the amounts of lives lost. All three stories are suspensful and simply unforgettable.

Here are links these tragedies (Capt. Jack, I'd especially recommend you read about these, bucko, as I think ye'll enjoy them):

SS Atlantic

Empress of Ireland

Halifax Explosion

Finally, living near the Graveyard of the Atlantic, I am always interested in reading and learning of shipwrecks off the North Carolina coast. The recent (probable) discovery of the Queen Anne's Revenge, Blackbeard's flagship totally enthralls me. Here's a link to info on it from the NC Maritime Museum:

Blackbeard

I wonder if one of the most important steps on our journey is the one in which we throw away the map.

-- Loreena McKennitt

-- Stan Rogers

I just do what I do.

-- Johnny Depp

I agree with the both of you, Ciaran and Hitman, but ever since I first heard about her I've been interested, and I still Am. For some unexplainable reason I feel drawn to her, and her Story.

Oh what I wouldn't give to touch one of the Artifacts.

To feel that energy, the countless souls onboard, laced into that one plate, or pocket watch.

I'd probably come over myself with tears simply because I know I'd be able to feel the pain felt on that night.

You all probably think I'm crazy at this point, but I have a certain type of ESP(Extra Sensory projection) Known as Empathy, I feel pain, Emotions...its unavoidable in most cases...but now Im just rambling and sounding like a Madman.

Thanks for the links Ciaran

I agree with the both of you, Ciaran and Hitman, but ever since I first heard about her I've been interested, and I still Am. For some unexplainable reason I feel drawn to her, and her Story.

There's a saying among Titanophiles about "Titanic":

"You can leave her, but you cannot divorce her."

Oh what I wouldn't give to touch one of the Artifacts.

I have a piece of her coal and a piece of her rust, and believe me, my hands trembled when I first touched either. pirateWink.gif

banner.jpg

Aye, a good quote that be indeed, Capn. Enigma. I do not believe that I have ever touched any item from the Titanic. The two big exhibits I've seen (mentioned in an earlier post of mine here) to my knowledge didn't allow any touching as the items were well protected behind glass. I did make a few photos quickly (I know, I know, I was not supposed to, but I did) at the Titanic exhibit in Halifax. They have one of the original deck chairs there!

As far as the energy/empathy comments, I totally agree. I fully believe that these items would carry memory or energy from the people and the event.

So, Enigmas, wow!, how did you ever get pieces of Titanic coal and rust, if I may ask?

-- Loreena McKennitt

-- Stan Rogers

I just do what I do.

-- Johnny Depp

Capn Enigma, I jes wanted to tell ye, mate, that yer Titanic website is quite interestin and well-done. I especially enjoyed the information and photographs of the Nomadic. I had no idea she were restin' in Paris!

Cheers,

Captain Ciaran

-- Loreena McKennitt

-- Stan Rogers

I just do what I do.

-- Johnny Depp

Why, thanks, CaptainCiaran!

I had good connections to members of the Titanic, Inc. salvor company. That's how I acquired the coal.

The rust I got in the Hamburg exhibition in an unobserved moment (the guards were busy reprimanding a child that was messing around with a giant scale model of the wreck), so I seized the opportunity and snatched a big piece of rust that had fallen to the ground off a salvaged bollard behind a barrier.

As for the Nomadic, she was in Paris until April, 2004. She now is Le Havre and in grave danger of sinking. After all, she is almost 100 years old! She is supposed to be auctioned off anytime soon.

banner.jpg

As for the Nomadic, she was in Paris until April, 2004. She now is Le Havre and in grave danger of sinking. After all, she is almost 100 years old! She is supposed to be auctioned off anytime soon.

Auctioned off, ye say? Hmmm, what do ye plan to do with her when yer bid wins? :D

-- Loreena McKennitt

-- Stan Rogers

I just do what I do.

-- Johnny Depp

One very interesting little tidbit of Titanic trivia that I read for the first time this summer was that on the night of the disaster, one of the Marconi wire operators at remote Cape Hatteras, NC, picked up the original transmission for help. He (a young man named Richard Dailey) immediately relayed the message to New York where he was promptly reprimanded for cluttering up the wires with a foolish hoax.

Until the day he died, as an old man, he swore that this was the truth.

-- Loreena McKennitt

-- Stan Rogers

I just do what I do.

-- Johnny Depp

An intresting fact about the Titanic to me is that she was I belive the first ship to send the now famous distress S.O.S (save our souls) as opposed to the original marconi operators distress code of CQ (seeking you). As a bit of faimly history on my part my great great great (think thats right cant rember if it's 3 greats or 4) grandfather was asleep in his bunk on the California the night Titanic sank. Least according to faimly lore have yet to research that one my self.As an aside does anyone else here find the H.M.S. Britanic to be as intresting a story. True no where near the death toll nor is there a large number of high class deaths to report but still a bloody beautiful ship.

THIS BE THE HITMAN WE GOIN QUIET

As a bit of faimly history on my part my great great great (think thats right cant rember if it's 3 greats or 4) grandfather was asleep in his bunk on the California the night Titanic sank.

Oh, Hitman, research this, man! What an interesting bit of family history if it is true. There should be records available as to the crew of the Californian.

An intresting fact about the Titanic to me is that she was I belive the first ship to send the now famous distress S.O.S (save our souls) as opposed to the original marconi operators distress code of CQ (seeking you)

The Titanic used both the CQD and SOS distress calls. The first time that a ship used the SOS call for help was in 1909 off of Cape Hatteras, when the SS Arapahoe used it, the call being picked up by the Hatteras station.

Here's a link to some info about SOS:

SOS

-- Loreena McKennitt

-- Stan Rogers

I just do what I do.

-- Johnny Depp

An intresting fact about the Titanic to me is that she was I belive the first ship to send the now famous distress S.O.S (save our souls) as opposed to the original marconi operators distress code of CQ (seeking you). As a bit of faimly history on my part my great great great (think thats right cant rember if it's 3 greats or 4) grandfather was asleep in his bunk on the California the night Titanic sank. Least according to faimly lore have yet to research that one my self.As an aside does anyone else here find the H.M.S. Britanic to be as intresting a story. True no where near the death toll nor is there a large number of high class deaths to report but still a bloody beautiful ship.

Indeed it would seem so...

Thank you all so much for the enlightening Information

S.O.S

I thought stood for Save Our Ship...not Souls....ah well...

Actually, when it was implemented as the general distress call, SOS did not stand for anything. They merely took morse letters that even a morse novice could decipher:

dot dot dot - dash dash dash - dot dot dot

It is an urban myth that it stands for "Save Our Souls".

However, it is true that the previous distress call, CQD, stands for "Come Quick, Danger".

banner.jpg