Pieces of Eight/Dubloons

Capt Grey

Does anyone know where I can find some (inexpensive) replica coins? Or even not so good replica coins?

For Halloween the front yard is becoming a ghost ship, complete with black, ripped mast and ship's wheel. I'm currently working on garb for the "skeleton" crew. I have mardi gras beads for part of the treasure chest but I need coins.

Thank'ee

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.

Aye Capt'n Grey. Would you be wanting plastic or metal? You can plastic at places like Iparty or simular stores. I just sent me metal ones to the young lad micheal for his treasure box. I found a site that sells replica coins fairly cheap. Here's the web site. I'll be replenishing my treasure chest from here it seems. good Luck

http://ferncanyonpress.com/pirates/locker.shtml

Scupper

"That's the navy for you. Rum in the scuppers today. Blood in the scuppers tomorrow."

Thrist is a shameless disease. So here's to a shameful cure!

"Loyalty, honesty and directness are traits I admire. Insecurity, snipes and disrespect I will not tolerate in the least."

Does anyone know where I can find some (inexpensive) replica coins? Or even not so good replica coins?

Oriental Trading Company sells bags (1 gross or 144 per bag) of plastic gold coins really cheap. They also give quantity discounts. (Example: last year, PRP bought 21 gross for $2.95 each.)

The coins are not replica doubloons (they've got some Roman-looking dude on them), but they provide the right effect.

Melusine de la Mer

"Well behaved women rarely make history." - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

What I like to do is buy large lots of old devalued foreign coins buy the pound. Then the kids I give them to are really curious to know where they came from and I encourage them to look them up on-line when they get home, telling them that they come from different places all over the world. So far, they've been a huge hit. The only time was when I gave pair of kids a couple of Austrian coins. They looked at them rather strangely and then at me. Their mother stepped in and said. "Where did you get these?" and then said "Those are Austrian coins and that's just where we're from!!" they were very surprised to get money from home from an American pirate! So I replaced their Austrian coins with something more exotic!! :ph34r:

-Claire "Poison Quill" Warren

Pyrate Mum of Tales of the Seven Seas

www.talesofthesevenseas.com

What I like to do is buy large lots of old devalued foreign coins buy the pound. Then the kids I give them to are really curious to know where they came from and I encourage them to look them up on-line when they get home, telling them that they come from different places all over the world. So far, they've been a huge hit.

oh!Claire,that is such a great idea.where do you get those coins and what do they cost?

Capt Weaver

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned. A man in jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company. "

Dr. Samuel Johnson

Capt Weaver's Pirate Perversions

My friend and I used to make belly dancer belts with chain mail, nad hung the international coins around them for sound and prettiness... the effect was amazing.. wish I knew where he got them.. got them by the pound no less! Probably the same guys...

"You have a woman's skin, m'lord! I'll wager that hides never been rubbed with salt and flayed off to make stockin's for a pirates best cabin boy!"

Thank'ee kindly, maties. Great ideas all.

Oriental Trading Company is one of my favorite on-line stores. That was my first thought but it would be nice to have something more authentic.

Where do you get the devalued coins, Seven Seas? That would be great for a hospital visit - and I love getting the kids excited about learning something!

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.

Yes, we were thinking ripped sails draped around the room, (maybe dyed black), small fans placed behind the sofas (make the sails billow), ropes run from various fixtures and tied ta' look like rigg'n, a few well placed skeletons and a chest (filled with ice and refreshements)...plastic coins on the table......fog machine? Z

someone asked about belly dance coins...if you live near L.A. Bergers Beads" has bags of them in all shapes, colours and sizes, many of the "belly dance" costume sites have them also but I'd try "west trims" first or other craft sites first, probably cheaper. You can probably tarnish them a bit for more authenticity.