Traditional GAOP Frock Coats ?

Well I am happy with the one Velvet frock I do own. Its the cut too of course that I enjoy. My Blue Velvet.

Pirates_0014.jpg

More Frock pics here. Tropico Pirate Gallery

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

Oh yes Big Cuffs and alot of "Gore" (Thats the added material in the back that give you lotsa swing) is a must ., this and a pair of LARGE bell'd bucket boots help to animate your persona when yer upset and put some Yosemite Sam into your day.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

Why thank ye Izzy. There be many a fine lookin frock on that site, an hats off to yer leather one.

HarborMaster, might I be askin where ye happened upon such a fine work o velvet art ? Can't get enough o those cuffs !

My father built it for me from my own modified pattern. basically we made the sleeve like bell bottom pants., narrow to the elbow., and flared out to the cuff., this way we would have something to sew the overcuff to.., and yes all my buttons are functional on the cuffs and pockets. The Kristi Smart coat has a moddified cuff by me drawn out for her., to go on her coat.., I have to have large cuffs ., I need my cuffs., my cuffs are part of who I am *Grinning*.

The KS coat should be here any time., I am excited to see if there going to be what I had hoped for., close is good.

If you would like to see alot of Gore.,and cuffs., I got some of my ideas from., several frocks in Rob-Roy.

Big Cuffs are actually VERY accurate.

Check out Rob-Roy with a DVD., and capture a few stills and I think youll get my meaning.

Aye, I have seen Rob Roy. It entertained the hell outta me. There was a lotta great costuming in that flick.... But to tell ya the truth, me fascination with the oversized cuffs started with ol Long John Silver. Man, those things were near up to his elbows.

A grand coat indeed., the trim and the collar are good butits the Gore in the back that I like., it would appear to have plenty of swing in the tail.

ye do fyne work lass ....i bought a bodice and skirt from you for a friend o' mine a couple of years ago ........good to see you're doing some gent's wear ......what would something like that run in wool with a light white duck lining and i can supply period buttons for ye

• 4 weeks later...

Its not a great shot but, My coat was custom made. The color and the brocade is all from a early 1700's type pattern. pockets are functional it has a nice lining and is very comfortable. I even wear it at times on nights out around town with jeans and a dress shirt when the weather cools down. If anybody has interest I can give you the makers name. He commissions work from his house. He has some stock available in most pre rev war and rev war clothing. Including militia uniforms and the kings army uniforms. All his stuff is patterned after authentic clothing from the period.

François

Pirate.jpg[/img]

:ph34r:

PyrateAvitar.jpg

I am a Free Men of The Sea I don't pillage and plunder.
I covertly acquire!

François Viete Domont de la Palmier
I haven't been accused of Pyracy...............YET

Francois! Where did you get that fine pair of Buckets' ?!?

"Remember, on a pirate ship, in pirate waters, in a pirate world, ask no questions. Believe only what you see. No, believe half of what you see."... Burt Lancaster

iiiiii.jpg

DUM SPIRO SPERO... WHILE I BREATH, I HOPE

Why thank you kindly Studly. They are quit the boot water proof and very comfortable. They started out as a Dunham work boot that had an ankle high cowboy boot style. I took off the top half got some nice heavy leather cut them into the shape I wanted and sewed them into the lower half, then matched the color. I couldn't match the two leathers the way I wanted because I couldn't find the exact type. After wearing them for two and a half years and letting them age on there own they look just fine now. Unfortunately I don't think they are making that style boot anymore. When I bought it was on sale from $180.00 down to $50.00.

They also work well when I do Elizabethan caviler or musketeer as you can see in this photo. All I do is flip them up and add on my spurs with the spur stirrup protector and there you have it.

François

francois2.jpg

PyrateAvitar.jpg

I am a Free Men of The Sea I don't pillage and plunder.
I covertly acquire!

François Viete Domont de la Palmier
I haven't been accused of Pyracy...............YET

• 2 weeks later...

Francois,

Can you send me the info on the tailor?

Yours, &C.

Mike

Try these for starters- "A General History of the Pyrates" edited by Manuel Schonhorn, "Captured by Pirates" by John Richard Stephens, and "The Buccaneers of America" by Alexander Exquemelin.

Obtained the Simplicity pattern, will have to modify it to resemble the 1700 era coat pattern from "The Costumers Manifesto" website.

I don't plan on adding "interfacing", only backlining for the coat since I'm in a tropical climate. Picked up some nice 100 percent grey wool from Joann's for about $6.99 a yard. There are a lot of steps that can be deleted or modified in the instructions. Will have to order the buttons.

So, in a few weeks will post a photo of a completed hand sewn coat (say by September 15th?).

Yours, &c.

Mike

Try these for starters- "A General History of the Pyrates" edited by Manuel Schonhorn, "Captured by Pirates" by John Richard Stephens, and "The Buccaneers of America" by Alexander Exquemelin.