POTC and Guybrush Threepwood

I was just looking up something on Wikipedia (Fabulous creation that, probably the best thing to come out of the internet) and I followed some links and eventually ended up at Guybrush Threepwood, where it mentions a similarity between Guybrush and Will Turner from POTC, what an absolutely fascinating thought!

Don't everybody say "Well I already thought of THAT!"

I have not played Monkey Island since it came out in the early 90s and I was a wee teen.

though the website writes "somewhat unlikely due to possible copyright infringement lawsuits", you never can tell what might of inspired the creation of a character. and as my old drama teacher used to say,(hey, I'm already remembering back to Monkey Island, why stop there?) "There is no such thing as original thought"

"There is no such thing as original thought"

No, there's not -- but that's a GOOD thing. *grins* Seriously, though -- there's a reason that Will Turner, Luke Skywalker, Frodo, Harry Potter, King Arthur, and Neo of "The Matrix" are all the same character: they're all characters embarking on what Joseph Campbell called "The Hero's Journey." Look up the book "The Power of Myth" if you get a chance -- it's a fascinating read about why movies like "Star Wars," which are basically films with plots that have already been done eight billion times, are not guilty of Lack of Imagination; rather, the films are tapping into the one story that people of all cultures respond to ... the Hero's Journey. It's a REALLY neat book, with a REALLY neat concept that I subscribe to totally (except for the rubbish suggesting that women aren't in need of a Hero's Journey story the way men are ... but if you ignore that part, the rest is fantastic).

(NOTE: If anyone wants to thrash me for suggestin' that Orlando Bloom and Keanu Reeves belong in the same category, rest assured I be referrin' only to their characters and not their level of acting ability. :huh: )

"Pirates ... were of that old breed of rover whose port lay always a little farther on, a little beyond the skyline ... if they lived riotously let it be urged in their favor that at least they lived."

~ John Masefield

Those who live by the sword, get shot instead.

captainjackisback.jpg

I'm more of a "WOW! Guybrush and Will are both blonde!" kinda person, rather than a

"All theatre is merely a visual representation of mankinds need for realisation of primal ambitions" or some other confusing thing with big words.

Vitamans and coffee make me immortal!

at least, that's what I'm thinking at 8 in the morning.

Even the Bushman in The Gods Must Be Crazy follows the hero archtype. And he could act circles around Keanu :P

Ifn ye ain't the readin kind, I'd recommend the Bill Moyers Joseph Campbell series, the Power of Myth.

Great series, and its available on video at some better video shops. And many libraries have it too.

Never give up--Never surrender!

Remember -- A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...BUT a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

Live while yer alive--an' when yore dead be done with it!

I haven't read "Hero with a Thousand Faces" yet, but I mean to at some point. Joseph Campbell is awesome.

Even the Bushman in The Gods Must Be Crazy follows the hero archtype. And he could act circles around KeanuĀ  :lol:

Yes, exactly, on all counts! :)

"Pirates ... were of that old breed of rover whose port lay always a little farther on, a little beyond the skyline ... if they lived riotously let it be urged in their favor that at least they lived."

~ John Masefield

Those who live by the sword, get shot instead.

captainjackisback.jpg