I had too much to dream last night

No problem. That way the old stuff gets brought back to the top when someone talks about it. This means it won't be deleted in the next purge. (They do that by thread age. Still, I hope they warn me next time...)

Do you keep a dream diary? I've read that the best thing you can do with dreams is keep track of them and look for recurring patterns and things that have meaning to you. I've also heard (in my Creativity class) that most dreams reflect things that have happened to you in the past day or two and that, while symbolic, the symbols are primarily to be interpreted in light of what they mean to you specifically. (So you may consider throwing out those generic dream dictionaries. While there are some fairly common symbols, even they are not necessarily universal.) I also heard that people in your dreams are often more important in terms of what traits they represent than in terms of who they actually are.

Myself, I am not to trusting of my dreams for guidance. I just figure it's my brain sorting through the mental detritus during the down time. But that's just me.

"You're supposed to be dead!"

"Am I not?"

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, Caraccioli:

I haven't been consciously thinking about my dreams for a long time. Indeed, it was only the discussion in ^<V that got me thinking about them again.

As an undergrad, I took a 4th year seminar course on Freud's The Interpretation of Dreams . That was ages ago, though. However, I do remember his approach to interpretation was much more fluid than Jung's.

As for my cliff/dirigible/bio-deisel dream above --- I think it was basically an anxiety dream. I was both the person hanging off the side of the cliff and a member of the rescue party. So, I think it means I'm just a bit stressed/overwhelmed by everyday things, and trying to "keep a grip", while simultaneously wanting to come up with some creative solutions to the things that are nagging me.

Looking forward to hearing about others' nightly surrealist brain-theatre.

Cheers, Hester

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

I wouldn't put too much faith in Freud's ideas myself. The whole ego/id/superego thing is a bit too pat for my taste. But that may just be me (and my perception. :huh: )

Actually, the point of the course was to assess Freud's theories critically, not simply accept his ideas at face value.

Cheers, Hester

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

ok, recent dreams.

- The one where Rats! and I were busily using his combination walkie-talkie-flashlight to look down man holes.

- the one that involved trying to make clothes for several people that suddenly wanted to be historic pirates, out of nothing but white muslin.

No wonder I'm so tired when I wake up. My dream life is basically my waking life without actually getting anything done!

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

ok, recent dreams.

- The one where Rats! and I were busily using his combination walkie-talkie-flashlight to look down man holes.

What a neat dream!

I don't bother to remember dreams as a general rule.

I do like that sort of twilight state, right before you fall asleep, when you can play with ideas and concepts and pictures - when things sort of fluidly drift between one state and another. It's like dreaming, but you're sort of aware of it. I could probably spend my whole life there and be happy. (Well, except for the part where I'd starve to death or become completely dehydrated - that part of it might suck if I were marginally aware of it...which I'm not sure I would be.)

"You're supposed to be dead!"

"Am I not?"

• 4 weeks later...

The dream I had last night was way too damn real! It moved in some sort of reality type form, everything was also very clear. Conversation and faces were also very clear as well. I just did not like what was going on at all. Not good at all and it doesn't make sense either because things in my waking life are going well. Unless it's part of my past where I used to worry more and it's just being revisted in my dream? Ugh, I still consider it a nightmare and glad to be awake now!

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

The subconscious can sometimes do some pretty wacky things. If you've had enough bad occurrances happen where crises seem to be the norm in your life, your subconscious gets USED to always being in crisis mode. So when things are actually going well in your life, your subconscious will manufacture crises in your dreams. That has happened to several people I know and it happened to me as well when I was younger.

RHJMap.jpg

I dreamt last night that I was at a reenactment. There were two young 20's girls, friends who looked like sisters, that wanted to be street criers at the event. I had to come up with what they should hawk & clothes for them so they wouldn't be left out. Meanwhile everyone else was off dancing. The girls became milk maids BTW.

This dreams & life thing being similar has got to stop already.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

Mine have been very amorphous lately - in the realm of the VERY surreal and they cover a wide variety of subjects. Night before last I woke up several times and had a different set of weird dreams each time I fell back asleep, so that was a lot of dreams! I sometimes think over my dreams for a couple of minutes the next morning but there were too many to even try making sense of! :ph34r:

RHJMap.jpg

The subconscious can sometimes do some pretty wacky things. If you've had enough bad occurrances happen where crises seem to be the norm in your life, your subconscious gets USED to always being in crisis mode. So when things are actually going well in your life, your subconscious will manufacture crises in your dreams. That has happened to several people I know and it happened to me as well when I was younger.

Yeah, that makes sense and I thought the same thing too, it just still sucked! :lol: I don't always dream like that where it's so vivid, detailed and clear like that, it was weird! But glad it was just a dream and nothing to worry about. It'll be interesting what I dream tonight.

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

I dreamt once that I stood in a doorway..oddly to a laundry room in a house. I had my hands on both sides of the doorway as I had run from someone wielding a gun. I turned to close the door and was shot point blank in the stomach. It was so real. I woke up and still felt it. Never forgot that one.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

It was so real. I woke up and still felt it. Never forgot that one.

....reminds me when I used to tell people "I dreamed I was eating a giant creme-filled donut,then I woke up and my pillow was gone".

SHIP2-1.jpg

• 1 month later...

I dreamt last night that I was sitting on Jeff Tweedy's lap in a Lazy Boy chair, watching Stargate: Atlantis on a big-screen TV.

(Not so surprising really. I'd been at a Wilco concert earlier that evening [which was brilliant], and discussing with my friend C. how surprisingly charismatic Tweedy is, although not exactly "handsome" in the usual sense. And the picture tube of my elderly little TV here in the city is dying, so I need to shop for a new TV. And I'm looking forward to catching up on Season 3 of Stargate: Atlantis on satellite at the cottage this summer.)

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

Aye, I had a dream last night. I was on a ship sailing out to sea. The stars were sparkling bright. I was up on the deck and I had the most delicious Pirate nibbling on me. Well, now, that is all I can say. You can fill in the rest.

"Why condemn me for taking a Lover with out marriage while you do so in marriage and break sacred vows?"

• 6 months later...

What an odd dream...this guy was trying to sell me on the idea of creating a wind-driven railroad with 8 methane-powered engines housing giant fans that blew into a train car that was attached to a giant parachute in front and a line of cars in the rear. The "fan engines" ran in between the freight cars and the parachute car. There had to be two sets of tracks with four "fan engines" on each and the one parachute car in front. (Now that I think of it, if this idea wasn't already too absurdly complicated, it would make more sense to have two cars in front supporting one giant parachute between them in the center to catch the most amount of wind generated.) The fan cars ran on methane because someone had set up the tracks so that they regularly passed sheep farms where they could get manure that would create the methane gas. Talk about stinky fans...

I tell ya'... :huh:

The weird thing is, I'm not even reading about railroads, alternative energy or anything like that! I'm reading one book about communications and another about barber-surgeons. Where's the connection? Maybe I've been eating too close to bedtime lately.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

I see dead people :blink: I have bad dreams almost every night since my mom died.

I don't sleep well at night either. Not so much the dog laying between us but me and hubby try to out manuver.out gas and out snore each other out of the room.

We never go to bed at the same time. Takes forever to adjust the pillows and blankets for one and then the other comes in and destroys everything that was set up. By the time we take care of our aches and pains with aspercreme,icyy hot and ben gay, we smell like a hospital ward and that pretty much kills off any chance of a rendevous.

The dog has to circle the entire bed before finding that special spot and then she lays with a thud, paws up in the air.

By the time I do feel I will get to sleep and hopefully dream of Captain Jack sweeping me off my feet, one of the 3 boys decides to barrel into the room looking for the keys to dad's truck, which starts an argument at 1 in the morning.

Not to mention a saw buck for gas, which really is for pizza but they won't admit to it.

If we close our bedroom door ie LOCK IT...the dog then decides she wants out and she sits by the door and cries...scratches the door and whimpers. Door opens and then I see all the lights are on in each room and the tv is on and no one is around...So I turn off everything and try to get back into bed, by this time hubby is snoring away and totally oblivious to the dog wanting to go outside.

It's about 2 am when the boys are finished in the kitchen making another mess and I have to tidy before going back to bed. I lay there for another hour before I truly feel I can fall asleep.

Then I dream of dead people. My mom or my girlfriends mom. Just sad dreams...

Sometimes I dream in color. Sometimes I can smell in my dream(must be the knockwurst) and sometimes I hear music...Sometimes I have repeat dreams which are always the same.

Too much stress in my life, aye? and not enough rum! :unsure:

kttcsignature.jpg

I had a very interesting dream, that seems pub-esque now that I recall it to conscious memory.

I was on the bow of a sloop, very Titanicish, blood red sunset lighting everything with the maddest glow. Off port aft comes another sailing ship, and suddenly the entire picture is infused with a shot of adrenaline- shot are fired, everything is blasted about, blades are drawn, glinting red in the unearthly glow even before they meet lifeblood spilling from the veins of hellish, red lit sailors. I wake up with another jolt to the ship.

-Aedon

Me mum named me Aedon.

Me mates call me Lucky.

Me enemies call me a bastard.

And anyone in a position of authority calls me

"that lucky bastard Aedon."

• 1 year later...

BlackJohn...you need to make sure you don't do 'whatever' your doing before bed ...I would call that a Nightmare! :lol::lol: - Just joking.

Been awaking up to the same dream these last few nights. Same strange man in black knocking at my door and when I open it...No one is there.

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"