another Peter Pan prequel

I have good news for Captain Hook fans. There is another prequel to Peter Pan coming out, and it has nothing to do with Peter and the Starcatchers. This one is simply called Capt. Hook, so I'm sure everyone can figure out who the (anti)hero of the story is. It was written by J. V. Hart and illustrated by Brett Helquist. I just finished an advance reader's edition of the book (it goes on sale in August) and I have to say that I liked it better than Harry Potter. It starts with a fifteen-year-old James entering Eton and then shows everything that leads him to becoming a pirate. If anyone wants to know more, I will be happy to provide details with as few spoilers as possible. :)

p.s. Before anyone thinks that the Harry Potter comparison is just hyperbole, I should point out that I am not overly fond of J. K. Rowling's series and gave up on it after the third book. I am not saying that Capt. Hook is the greatest young adult book in the world. I am simply stating my own preference for one versus the other.

MMmm....it would be nice if Jason Isaacs plays Hook again........ ;)

Yes, it would be very nice to see Jason Isaacs as Hook again, but he'd be a bit too old to play this particular version of him. However, he could always play James's father. Personally, I'd like to see Mr. Isaacs as Hook in a Pan-sequel where he ditches the flying children and gets to do some real pirating.

• 3 weeks later...

I rather enjoyed "Peter and the Starcatches" (I be a ragin' Dave Barry fan) ... but this book about the life of Captain Hook looks really, really, REALLY cool, and I cannot WAIT for it to come out. I mean, what a neat idea -- Hook is (surprise) my favorite character in the Barrie book, and a book solely about _his_ origins is a really faboo idea. I can't wait to read it.

Thank you so much fer postin' the info; it's hard to find good piratical reads, and I'm glad to know I've got a really nifty-sounding one to look forward ter readin' during my summer break ...

And August, eh? I'll have just enough time t' finish readin' "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince!" :o:lol:

"Pirates ... were of that old breed of rover whose port lay always a little farther on, a little beyond the skyline ... if they lived riotously let it be urged in their favor that at least they lived."

~ John Masefield

Those who live by the sword, get shot instead.

captainjackisback.jpg