whataya think mateys?

fergal

and in true " I gots me waaaay too much time on me hands" Fergal form, im toyin with the idea of combining the beeswax boiling technique I use on me bottles and hand stitching them, yep HAND stitching them with a hefty 3-4 layer core handle *me wrists crampin just thinkin about it* the prototype I made a few weeks back held about a pint and a half these will be slightly larger.

but Im wonderin, would ya all belly up to me table and buy one of these if they were about 60 usd?

what says yea?

Fergal

http://www.granddesignworkshop.com

Well Mate, I already got me one just like it from a different vendor who be sellin them. There be several for other enactments, I says. They be looking good in yer pic. Most sell em fer 40. Now, If'n ya can coat em with pitch instead o bees wax, they last longer and wont crack or melt in the heat inside causin leakage. I did notice the wax does harden after a wile which be causin it ta crack inside. Lost me some good mead I did that way. Meself, I went through 2 that way. Just got me a new one this last weekend at a different fest. I opes this one lasts me longer. They are nice though.

Shoots anything that moves!!

I do believe you be referin to me bottles Mr. Hawks and yea should know I dont line them with the "swish it around to coat it" method which causes a thin layer o wax and leads to melting and cracking. I boil it in a vat o beeswax *ie cuirboilli method* which makes it harder than trying to tack upwind in a hurricane and wont cause melting issues unless yea leave it on the dashboard of yer truck in texas in june for a few days, even then it has to be empty har!!

also ALL me work is LIFETIME warrantied!! exceptin if yea run over it with the car. :)

There be no pics of tankards up yet, but there soon will be.

F.

I sees. I was lookin at the link ya posted of the leather corked holder. If.n thats not be it, please be pointin me in the right direction ta see it. The boilin elps fer sure. Ana how much does it be holdin

no pics as of yet this be a survey arrrr! *grins* sides Id hate to post the prototype as a example, as the design will likely change but the tankards would hold close to 2 pints, the bottles hold 1 liter + and the costrels 2 liter +

I've had a number of jacks and bottles over the years, lined with beeswax, pine pitch, or a combination. I've also had some lined with a thermoplastic that they use to line brewery tanks. Thise are the ones I prefer. It's plain black, looks like pitch, and doesn't add an annoying taste when mixed with alcohol. Much preferable to the other stuff.

Hawkyns

:ph34r:

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

I've had a Thistle Leather jack for 10 years. I had it reshaped and sealed once after I fell off a balcony and landed on it. It doesn't flavor what you put in it, but also no hot things. So I'm not in the market for anything new.

me regular bottles are 45

me costrels are 60

as far as using epoxy based polymers.

a) their very expensive

b. two part polymers that have a 30 min max usage time which is a REAL pain when making alot of bottles

c) incrediby toxic to use until dry

also to champion cuirbolli, understand something mateys, most people that do work similiar to mine do NOT cuirbolli, they *rinse line* with wax or pitch after heating the leather in a oven so that it soaks a lil into it. problem with this is that theres a heavy coating on the inside. problem with THAT is this is prone to cracking and leaking, are more fragile, and also since theres a excess of coating will flavor anything over a certain tempature and will impart a strong flavor to anything alchoholic.

cuirbollied pieces are imearsed and left to soak in the wax, and the wax permeates INTO the leather and bonds to the fibers, so theres a LOT less excess wax to react with beverages, I still wouldnt recommend putting anything boiling hot in them or anything stronger than say 40 proof but after many many months of trial and error Ive found this to be the best compromise of period vs ease of use and palatability vs durability.

and when your offering a lifetime warranty on all your work you like to be REAL sure your doing what ya think is best :ph34r:

mind you, those with polymer lined vessels, I envy and admire you, I LOVE scotch *grins* if I had a more practical way of using it safely and in a timely manner and ordering it with ease and at a more reasonable price id be all over it.

one thing to note before anyone mentions them. seal-a-cell and related products are NOT inert when dry. DONT be drinkin outta them with high alchohol content beverages, mind you their ducky with anything like wine/beer/mead/ and hot beverages.

Mr Hawks if youd like a bottle just throw me a email via the site

or reply here.

thank you EVERYONE for your feedback, remember though im not asking WILL you buy one im asking WOULD you buy one at 60 if it were hand stitched?

I don't have a clue of what the going rate for such things is, but if i could afford such a thing i'd pay it for the one with the celtic design.

It's beautiful B)

And hand stitch you said..that thick leather? :ph34r:

That makes it a lot of hard handwork so i'd say it's worth $60 :)

hero.jpg

oh my, nono, theres no pics of the tankards yet, that knotwork bottle was the first one id made, and hand stiching THEN pounding one of those THEN tooling with the sand still in?? erm, ya REALLY dont want to know....lol ok fine ill tells ya, prolly around 120 for something like that, the peice would take about 16 hours of labor alone if done like that, tankards are MUCH easier to tool because ther require very little in the way of shaping, can be tooled flat without risk to the work *pushing out* although the stitching is about the same.

thank yea for yer compliments though. :)

on a side note, when i get the time to try it im going to see what carving after cuirbolli is like, it may be a viable alternative to tooling a bottle with packing sand in it and would bring the price down CONSIDERABLY.

Alright, I cannot truthfully say wether a mug for $60 is reasonable, until I have seen what they look like. Pictures are needed.

Duchess

I had it reshaped and sealed once after I fell off a balcony and landed on it.

My, if that doesn't sound like an interesting story...

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

me regular bottles are 45

me costrels are 60

as far as using epoxy based polymers.

a) their very expensive

b. two part polymers that have a 30 min max usage time which is a REAL pain when making alot of bottles

c) incrediby toxic to use until dry

also to champion cuirbolli, understand something mateys, most people  that do work similiar to mine do NOT cuirbolli, they *rinse line* with wax or pitch after heating the leather in a oven so that it soaks a lil into it. problem with this is that theres a heavy coating on the inside. problem with THAT is this is prone to cracking and leaking, are more fragile, and also since theres a excess of coating will flavor anything over a certain tempature and will impart a strong flavor to anything alchoholic.

cuirbollied pieces are imearsed and left to soak in the wax, and the wax permeates INTO the leather  and bonds to the fibers, so theres a LOT less excess wax to react with beverages, I still wouldnt recommend putting anything boiling hot in them or anything stronger than say 40 proof  but after many many months of trial and error Ive found this to be the best compromise of period vs ease of use and palatability vs durability.

and when your offering a lifetime warranty on all your work you like to be REAL sure your doing what ya think is best :rolleyes:

mind you, those with polymer lined vessels, I envy and admire you, I LOVE scotch *grins* if I had a more practical way of using it safely and in a timely manner and ordering it with ease and at a more reasonable price id be all over it.

one thing to note before anyone mentions them. seal-a-cell and related products are NOT inert when dry. DONT be drinkin outta them with high alchohol content beverages, mind you their ducky with anything like wine/beer/mead/ and hot beverages.

Mr Hawks if youd like a bottle just throw me a email via the site

or reply here.

thank you EVERYONE for your feedback, remember though im not asking WILL you buy one im asking WOULD you buy one at 60 if it were hand stitched?

I'm assuming that yer regular bottles are like the one pictured on yer site on the right with the cork stopper at this link - Fergal bottles . I would like one if'n ya ave em. Ana they be 5 ya say?

nay FORTY-five but that be a nice try there me bucko! :rolleyes:

typos.....the bane o our existance hehe.... and yessir the cuirbolli bottle be lookin like that one on me main page. Just paypal this ole rapscallion at shane@granddesignworkshop.com the 45. and you be gettin a bottle post haste! *also dont forget to make sure that your paypal shipping info is CURRENT....thats important...also if you dont use paypal never fear, I be a premium member so you can use a CC via paypal without actually needin a paypal acct.*