Belayin' Pins

Ahoy! This pyrate be lookin' fer a couple o' belayin' pins t' complete his costume. (Wench to Cap'n Morgan: Is that a belayin' pin in yer belt, or be ye just glad to see me?)

Aye, in any event, any o' you swabs know where a humble pyrate could find 'em in the colonies? I've found websites in the UK 'n' Down Under. Not too many closer t' home. Sure would like t' find 'em near me home port o' Baltimore.

:D

At yer bloody service,

Nathaniel "Gute" Morgan

Buccaneer, Brigand, & Cutthroat

Plundering the Spanish Main Since 1701®

"Refuse that, 'n' ye've seen th' last o' me but musket balls."

those seem a bit smaller than theones ive seen kept as museum pieces. the ones ive seen were much thicker (closer to the size of a billy club).

those look really thin and mor akin to todays pins for smaller ships

Those pins that Royalist showed ye to are jest fine, and are used in full sized ships. Infact I have one that looks jest like the one with the lines 'round the neck in lightweight wood. There's a fantastic guy at Tall Ships in Dana Pt. in Sept., that makes them and I bought one from him years ago. I chose a lightweight one cuz it's less weight around me waist.

Rumba Rue

** :D **

Misery-

'T all depends on just how big yer lines fer belayin' are, doesn't it. There was a time when *giant* belaying pins were needed for the truly massive four and five-masted ships. But that was long after the GAoP. No need for line bigger around than your arm in a ship of 100'. At least, none that you'd be belaying rather than cleating, for instance.

• 1 month later...

I just recieved my belaying pins from Captain_MacNamara. I purchased unfinished versions of them and I am quite pleased. They have a slightly rough, hand-turned look that gives them an antiqued and well-used appearance. Aye. They are slightly different from one another and look as though they've come from two completely different sets or ships.

Very nice work, Captain. Aye. Very nice indeed.

I shall now get to work carving some celtic knotwork on one of them before varnishing.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok, you want to drag this to the pub, bring it on then.

I have emailed you several times stating that the items were shipped via USPS from San Marcos Texas. I have since lost all access to the wood shop I was using, and therefore haven't been selling any new items. You are the only complaint customer I have had, everyone else seems happy with their order... I find it awefully odd that you are the only customer I have had that "hasn't recieved his order". And in my last email, I even offered to either wait until I have access to another wood shop so I can RE-make and RE-ship your order, or refund your money, but no dice... you still post here, trying to ruin my reputation. On your first post, no less... Now either lets settle this thing off the board, or you can bugger off. Unless you'd rather taste the point of my cutlass. <_<

Captain_Sigart.jpg

Captain of the Iron Lotus

It is the angle that holds the rope, not the size of the hole.

I dont believe Capt'n Robert Bartholomew will get much traction here..., I dont think Cap'n Mac has done any raids lately on the Royal Mail.

Actually Cap'n Mac When you have access to a lathe I would like to discuss the length and wood type of a belaying pin and buy a custom from you. PM me on the topic if this is currently a possibility.

There are a couple of woods I am considering., Perhaps the Purple heart or a Paduk(Orange in color) I am still researching a bit.

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

Just a quick warning...I placed an order with Captain MacNamara for some belaying pins, a cat and a few other items. He took my monet through Pay Pal and then vanished.  Be very careful...I filed a complaint with PayPal and could not recieve any relief even though I won the dispute.

He doesn't appear to have vanished. You appear to be a victim of the USPS. I'm sorry you didn't get your package. It has happened to me as well.

DTS once left my $6,000 computer sitting on my porch. They just dropped off my computer and left. The label on top said "Signature Required". It was there for 4 hours before I got home.

I'm just glad it was till there.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Aye, indeed. The USPS has also lost several of my packages as well, so it is definitely not an isolated occurence. Whenever I use them now, I always send packages by Priority Mail, with a delivery confirmation/tracking number, so that there is actual proof that it was mailed. It sounds to me like Captain MacNamara has made an effort above and beyond to try and make it right, at his own expense. I would be loathe to speak ill of such generosity. :huh:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I recently recieved my Belyaing Pin from Cap'n Mac.., "Purple Heart" as a mattero' fact ! What fine head knocker it be I might add., complete with a belt frog., beads and a few jingles as well . I am happy ! Thank you Capn' Mac !!! :wub:

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

Aye, if ye gain access t' th' bloody equipment again, I'd be very interested in a belayin' pin meself. Let me know when and how much so I can dig up me booty and retrieve a doubloon or two.

At yer bloody service,

Nathaniel "Gute" Morgan

Buccaneer, Brigand, & Cutthroat

Plundering the Spanish Main Since 1701®

"Refuse that, 'n' ye've seen th' last o' me but musket balls."

Just the one is all I need. Me Wife wants to put on up in our "Nautical Room" as an homage to me knickname. And i have some line to put through it

- 10 Fathoms Deep on the Road to Hell... Yo Ho Ho and a Bottle of Rum...

• 2 weeks later...