7th Sea

John_Young

Yarrrr!

'Ello All! Anyone else here have time for the playing of roles? Naw! Not that crappy, D&D stuff....

Real games with heroes, villans, and scoundrels just like the loving pictures and the books ust ta talks about.

7th Sea! Anyone play?

"Yo Ho, all together

hoist the colours high

Heave Ho, theives and beggers

Never shall we die..."

blackwood.jpg

"I don't care who ye say you are lad, if ye say 'savvy' one more time, I'll bury this cutlass in that thick skull

of yers!"

-Captain John Young - PILF

It's made by Alderac (or AEG). It came out in 1999 and as of just last year is now called Swashbuckling Adventures, but us purists still call it 7th Sea. It still says 7th Sea on the back cover too. The name change was in response to them adding D20 system rules into the mix.

I hate Swashbuckling Adventures, by the way. I only buy the books because they're dual system, meaning has both original and D20 info in them.

Anyways, 7th Sea is set in a world that mirrors our own, but isn't quite.

The nations of Theah (Europe and some of Asia) is the primary focus. Avalon (England) Highland Marches (Scotland), Innismore (Ireland), Vodacce (Italy), Montaigne (France), Castille (Spain), Usurra (Russia), Vendel (Dutch), Vesten (Norse Vikings). Also there is the Crescent Empire (Middle East), and Cathay (China/Japan/India). There's no New World as of 1669 (game year), however there is the Midnight Archipelago which is full of colonies, natives, and pirates.

Anyways, Theah has an evolving timeline/storyline. It started in 1668 and is almost ready for 1670. It seems to be set in the Restoration period if it was earth. Every nation has it's own unique brand of sorcery, and sword schools.

And for us pyrate lovers, there's 3 books that are essential! Nation Book #1 Pirate Nations (out of print, rare and expensive to find), Waves of Blood, and the new Ships and Sea Battles. Heck, it's has great homages to history and pirate culture in all the books. Phillip Gosse is listed as a Gentleman Pirate (you should know who he is...)

Love Pirates of the Carribean? We've had The Black Freighter since the beginning. A ship of the damned....

I can rant on and on. But it's still a great game, that rewards storytelling and interaction over dice-rolling. :ph34r:

"Yo Ho, all together

hoist the colours high

Never shall we die..."

blackwood.jpg

"I don't care who ye say you are lad, if ye say 'savvy' one more time, I'll bury this cutlass in that thick skull

of yers!"

I havn't played the role playing game,but I aquired some of the collectible card game,7th sea.

great game and very good art.

they are out of print though,so it has been difficult to get.

ebay can be a wonderful place.

Capt Weaver

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned. A man in jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company. "

Dr. Samuel Johnson

Capt Weaver's Pirate Perversions

Ah, the CCG! Great stuff too! I never really played it, but I have 2 800count longboxes full of them still.

I never got the final expansion "Synerth Secrets" at all either. They cancelled the game and none of the retailers here ordered any. :P

"Yo Ho, all together

hoist the colours high

Never shall we die..."

blackwood.jpg

of yers!"

Found a pretty good deal, don't know how high they'll go but the 2 core books are about $30 apiece.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...5&category=1183

"Yo Ho, all together

hoist the colours high

Never shall we die..."

blackwood.jpg

of yers!"

• 3 weeks later...

As a former player of 2nd Edition D&D, I have just gotten back into it with the Dragonlance campaign. A fellow gamer and I have always tried to manipulate a standard Rogue character into a swashbuckler, and the 3.5 rules allow much more control, so we've been pretty happy with the results. We just recently discovered the 7th Sea core book, and are awaiting its arrival at our fav gaming store (read: Geek Shop).

Rumors of my death were right on the money.

I was just gifted with one of the new ship source books for d20,"seas of blood"

great book!

it gives a whole new set of character types like;sailor ,Buccaneer,reaver,navigator wizard,pirates &privateers as well as the various types of crew encountered.

and details ship types-standard,gnomish,elf,viking, and some really kool floating fortress cities.with deck plans.

it's also got all the info needed for battles,both ship and melee and other fun roleplaying material.

section on sea creatures too.

for days when the sea calls,but the city answers.

:unsure:

Capt Weaver

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned. A man in jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company. "

Dr. Samuel Johnson

Aye... I do play d20 games... but I just dislike 7th Sea's d20 incarnation Swashbuckling Adventures.

In 7th Sea.... it's all about role-playing and interacting and good storytelling. D20 is wonderful! But for swashbuckling it becomes more roll-play, ye know?

That said, I did buy Seas of Blood to use as source material.

"Yo Ho, all together

hoist the colours high

Never shall we die..."

blackwood.jpg

of yers!"

ahoy there John Young,

I hafta say that I love your signature.

I guess I just don't get the attraction of the whole "savvy" thing.

I'm pretty easygoing but it bugs the hell outa me.

B)

Capt Weaver

Dr. Samuel Johnson

Aye... and I like nods to other movies... like when Will and Jack get surrounded by soldiers and Will. turns around knocking their swords and bayonets away... very much like Legolas when surrounded by Rohirrim in The Two Towers.

But I almost got up and walked out of the theatre when Depp said "Savvy" in "Once Upon a Time in Mexico". :angry:

"Yo Ho, all together

hoist the colours high

Never shall we die..."

blackwood.jpg

of yers!"

ahoy there John Young,

I hafta say that I love your signature.

I guess I just don't get the attraction of the whole "savvy" thing.

I'm pretty easygoing but it bugs the hell outa me.

:angry:

Aye, "Savvy" abuse is bad.

Even the Cap'n didn't say it THAT much.

Poor bloke. All of us misunderstanin' the fool so much.

"What did ye call me luv?"

NOTHING! *innocence!*

(yes, Lucky can be "innocent" from time t'time, mates..)

"Don't hate me because I'm beautiful. Hate me because I am robbing you, tossing you overboard, and stealing your ship!"

-the only thing more dangerous than her.. is her needle-

But I almost got up and walked out of the theatre when Depp said "Savvy" in "Once Upon a Time in Mexico".

Ah...you too eh?

When Jonny said savvy in Once Upon a Time in Mexico, I admit I burst out laughing at the sheer silliness of it!

It's become something of a joke around my house to end every query, question, or random statement with "Savvy?" :lol:

BTW Yes...I am a 7th Sea Freak...ya might have spotted me hangin'around Revanants!

Aye... I do play d20 games... but I just dislike 7th Sea's d20 incarnation Swashbuckling Adventures.

In 7th Sea.... it's all about role-playing and interacting and good storytelling. D20 is wonderful! But for swashbuckling it becomes more roll-play, ye know?

That said, I did buy Seas of Blood to use as source material.

Ahoy, John Young (and any others who may have an opinion).

Which, if any, of these RPG's have you found to be most authentic in terms of accurately depicting the equipment, conditions, and general lifestyle of our favorite Golden Age?

Rumors of my death were right on the money.

Lilywhite: Aye... ev'm though I'm not allowed te post there enymore.

Coyote: none yet. 7th Sea is it's own universe... Haven't found any other than 7th sea that strikes my fancy game-wise.

"Yo Ho, all together

hoist the colours high

Never shall we die..."

blackwood.jpg

of yers!"

I bought it! I loved it! Are ya hireing? Ye can catch *my* work on the upcoming Unisystem products from Eden Studios: Angel RPG, Army of Darkness Rpg, Welcome to Sunnydale, and Military Monster Squad: The Initiative.

"Yo Ho, all together

hoist the colours high

Never shall we die..."

blackwood.jpg

of yers!"

El Pirata, check out the 2 page post marked "Monkey Island" a bit further down the "Pirate Pop" subject listings.

"Yo Ho, all together

hoist the colours high

Never shall we die..."

blackwood.jpg

of yers!"