Recipies

Capt. Flint

I have this recipe that is very easy and you might enjoy it. It will work well both at home and at any event you may be at where you will have to do outdoor or camp style cooking. Take a large piece of foil and spray it generously with non stick spray. Place in it whatever fish you like and sprinkle it with lemon butter and a little oregano. Then slice some of the lemon in rings and place on top the fish. Wrap the foil tight and place on grill top or fire grate. After about five to ten mins. Flip and cook the other side. Cooking time will depend on the size of the fish. Now, make a pocket with another piece of foil. Make certain it is large enough to hold a lot of vegetables. Chop up a good variety of what you like. What works good for me are... potatoes, broccali, onion, carrotts. Chop them up chunky and add handfulls of them to the foil bag. After a few scoops add a dash of garlic powder, a thick pad of butter and a dash of salt, lemon butter powder anda little oregano. Do this after every few scoops in the bag. Then seal tightly and place on grill. This should be on the grill first as it will take longer to cook than the meat. Afater approx. 15 min. place bag on heat , but not directly on fire. You will want it to keep cooking. When this is done you will have a wonderful complete meal to soothe any sea rover. Sausages also work well with this recipe and you wont need to use foil with them. ( or lemon etc..... )

• 2 years later...

I love dutch oven cooking because it is easy to make at campsites.

Barbecue Beef Brisket

5-6 lbs. prime fresh beef brisket; well trimmed

3 lg. sweet onions; thickly sliced

6 lg. cloves garlic; pressed or minced

1/2 cups chili sauce (your favorite)

2 Tbs. onion salt

1/2 cup light brown sugar

2 Tbs. celery salt

1/2 cup beer (your favorite brand)

1 Tbs. course ground black pepper

1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce

4 Tbs. Wright's liquid smoke

Advance Preparation: The day before cooking, place the brisket in a large flat bottomed plastic or glass container. Sprinkle the garlic, salts, pepper and 3 Tbs. of the liquid smoke over both sides of the beef, then hand rub over all. Return to fat side up, then arrange the onion slices over the top. Seal the container with an air tight lid or with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator to marinade overnight (24 hours).

In a 10" Dutch oven combine chili sauce, brown sugar, beer, the remaining liquid smoke, and Worcestershire sauce. Heat using 8-10 briquettes bottom and let simmer until all sugar has been dissolved.

Place the beef brisket in a 12" Dutch oven and arrange onions back over the top. Pour 1/2 of the prepared sauce over the brisket then cover and bake using 6-8 briquettes bottom and 8-10 briquettes top for 5 hours.

When beef is tender remove from the oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Slice brisket across the grain in thin slices and make sandwiches using the remaining barbecue sauce, reheated.

Note: For those of you who like to cook over a campfire this recipe works very well when the oven is buried in hot ashes and allowed to slow cook all day.

Serves: 10-12

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Here is a variation of flints Fish in Tinfoil Recipe that has the advantage of being ideal for re-enactment due to it being relatively authentic.

You will need,

Fish, (one per person)

Flour

salt

water

Fresh Herbs (optional)

Mix the Flour, salt and water to make a thick pastry. I usually use about two parts flour to one part salt, but the exact mix is up to you. You can use less salt if you want, or go as high as Fifty fifty.

Gut the fish, (or get your fishmonger to do it when you buy them), and fill the stomach cavity with fresh herbs, a sprig of fresh rosemary works well as does crushed peppercorns or garlic cloves. It is entirely up to you what you use, depending on what you have available.

Trout is an ideal fish for this, but for a pirate event, you may choose to use a salt water fish of about the same size. Gut the fish, but leave the head and tail on.

Roll the salt pastry to a thickness of about half an inch.

Wrap each fish in the salt pastry, ensuring that all the joins are sealed.

Bury the fish in the embers of your campfire.

Leave until cooked. It is almost impossible to over cook this recipe, the pastry will harden and form a burnt crust, the water in the pastry will heat up and steam the fish, bringing out the flavour of any herbs that you use. Depending on the size of your fire, an average trout will cook in about twenty minutes.

Remove the fish from the embers and break open the pastry shell, it will be very hard, and very hot, possibly with glowing embers embedded on it, so take care. with a bit of luck, the fish skin will pull away with the pastry.

Eat the fish.

Try, and enjoy.

"Tall Paul" Adams

• 1 month later...

Alright, so I may have procrastinated a bit in this, but... I could probably throw something together if need be anyway. So tommorrow (later today?) we're having a party for the crew of "The Amazing Pirate Action Swordfighting Comedy Show"... Going to be doing character development stuff, scriptwork, drawing up and signing the 'ship's articles', have a few pirate movies, whatever. General piratey fun and whatnot... and figured it'd be extra cool if we could have some at least semi-period grub for feasting and merrymaking and that sort. I think I'm just gonna get some beef and chicken, hack it up, and toss it on the grill with some vegetables (using the very period accurate aluminum foil as well most likely), some kinda basic soup, and a fried rice/stir fry kinda thing.

Anyone have any kind of recipe suggestions or ideas for hors d'ouvres/appetizers? I seem to have a knack for just throwing things together and having it end up pretty tastey or somewhere between "not that great" and "bleugh!", but a little more structured recipes may help to lean the results more towards the former. Thanks in advance! (That is, if anybody responds before it's time I just throw it all together. In the case this isn't so, we could change that last line to "Thanks for bothering to read this," or "Thanks for the recipe," or if for some reason I'm feeling quite abnormally rude even a "Thanks fer nothin'!" I suppose you can take your pick of whichever you prefer, y'know?)

Take a crock pot, put in a block of Velveeta cheese cut in cubes, add a can of Rotel tomatoes with green chilies, brown a pound of sausage crumbled, add to the crock pot, add two cans of mushroom bits and pieces if you like. Let it heat on low, and get your favorite tortilla chips. This is THE staple food/appetizer at most all the White Trash Fur co. gatherings when not at primitive camp. It's a big hit wherever we go. Then theres always the old stand-by raw veggies and dip if you're pressed for time.

Capt. Bo

if it had a fin, a hoof or toes you need one basting sauce in your cooler in a jar:

Italian Salad Dressing 6 parts

White wine 1 part

garlic 1 part

butter 2 parts

sour cream 2 parts

hot and spicey seasoning 1 part

thoroughly mixed and all meat dipped into it and voila excellent dining cuisine

***a part is a half cup***

Touch somebody you don't know today with a smile.