Pyrate Projects

Patrick Hand

Love the hook Patrick. I'd be 'fraid I'd put m'eye out though!

I'm busy drawin' up Sea and Rivermaids ...suitable for tattoo art on salty types (and to fulfill an illustration project!)

'Ere's one of the girls...

RiverMaidLR.jpg

"Show me a man with a tattoo, and I'll show you a man with an interesting past." ~Jack London

Life is a Circus, and I am the Human Cannonball.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love the hook Patrick. I'd be 'fraid I'd put m'eye out though!

:huh: I'm going to the Carnaval Parade tomarrow in San Fransico, and going to use the hook, and wear the eyepatch that I made outta wet molded leather, and a cheap plated skull (cut holes through the leather, so I can kinda see through the eyepatch)

"how did you loose youe eye.....?"

"First day wit me hook........... :huh: "

Also taking the Big pyrate flag..... gotta get some photos........

• 7 months later...

Re-starting this topic.....

Sence the last post in May, I've made an almost complete Buccaneer outfit, with camping gear to go with it...... there is a link to the photos in Capt. Twill in The Buccaneer Project..... money for the parts to make a gun is kinda holding up continuing on that project........

New projects that I am working on.....

I'm slowly working on re-stocking my flintlock pistol in walnut.... but it is one of those projects where I sometimes do a little of it... then set it aside for awhile.... I'm not in a great hurry to get it done......

Still handsewing a period linen buccaneer shirt..... I got most of the collar sewn at PiP...... that's what I'm working on in the photos that William Red posted .... not getting as much of it done as I should.....

I have over half of some Pyrate Role-playing game rules done.... I still have to finish the rules for the Captain (game master) and the web page where I will post them for free....... I will post more information on this project in Pyrate Pop when it's done.

And I'm making a 1706 slops contract jacket outta grey wool blanket with red trim... posting pictures of that project in Plunder......

Good to hear your progress on your projects, Patrick. Keep us in the loop. You're always doing something interesting.

As for me, I just finished a script for us to do in two weeks. The Pyrates are guest performers for the New Port Richey Community Orchestra, so we came up with a fun piece that covers a wide range of music and piratical themes.

Working on getting stuff ready for our Puerto Rico trip in April. A corporation has hired us to make an appearance at their annual convention.

Working on my Henry Morgan look - my real hair is shoulder length and I'm working on a period coat, at least I will be once Kass releases the pattern I've already picked out for it.

Adding new songs to our repertoire and have begun the ground work of finally doing a CD on our band. Hopefully we'll get that done before summer.

Not much in the way of supplies and such in process. Not much room. Diosa's pirate jewelry business has really taken off and consumes much of our construction time here.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Well, the big projects just got easier. I got a bandsaw for Christmas, so the two new gun carriages will progress a lot faster.

First is building a 3 truck, Dutch 17th c carriage, like the ones at Lelystad.

Second is rebuilding a 15th c veuglaire carriage and increasing it to a culverin type carriage like the ones in Gerry Embleton's "Medieaval Soldier".

Currently handsewing a pair of deerskin pants for faire. Not documentable, but since I'm using them for the Wicked Faire, it's not an issue.

Rebuilding a cutlass so that it has a schiavona hilt- mostly done on that.

scabbard and baldric needed for the above.

I think that's the immediate projects. There's the wheelock pistol, the 1690's coat, and I'm thinking about building a pirogue but those are all on the back burner at the moment.

Hawkyns

:huh:

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Mostly costuming:

I'm working on a complete set of 1690s ASC clothing, and am mentally preparing myself for following that up with a complete 1706 set.

I'm also working towards a GAoP marine uniform, as well as a new officer's suit which will double as a marine officer (one of the GAoP Colonels of marines shared my name) and as a RN lieutenant's "uniform" (although RN officers had no uniforms until after the GAoP certain trend are reported amongst lieutenants and masters on the Mediterranean station earlier)

I'm also researching the clothing and accoutrements worn by various early lawkeepers with a view to portraying a GAoP era "policeman"

Outside the GAoP I'm working on my WWII French Resistance gear and trying to put together a WWII Royal Marine outfit to go with the folding canoe I'm planning on building when I can find the time.

My biggest current project is building a prototype for a 17th century canoe/punt, which, if successful will hopefully be followed up by one or two more (and perhaps bigger) craft of the same design.

I'm also adding to my boat (17thC replica) the necessary work to take a swivel gun in the bow.

I thought I might take a break from writing for a bit, I thought I was running out of ideas, but they just keep coming and I need the money so, ho-hum, back to the writing desk...

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

I am beginning the design and costing phase of a project that will eventually have its own thread: the Battle Station. I plan to build a full scale below-deck gun station on a trailer and equip it with a British six-pounder. Eventually, it will have a fold-down section of deck to do double duty as a stage (and enclose the station when up), and an upper deck with railing and at least one rail gun, two would be better. It will probably start out like this:

MA-Marine.jpg

But will eventually end up like this:

MA-Battle-station.jpg

Add folding stages that cover the open side and both ends, and move the solid upper deck to the railing and you get the idea of what I'm after. And only one cannon below deck. One will be enough to pay for.

The idea behind the project is to provide the people ashore a similar or better experience as those who were able to go out on the tall ships for the sea battles at pyrate fests. I envision cannon demonstrations with stop-action instruction followed by full speed cannon drills against those offshore boats. For those of you who were in Key West, think about this set up on the parade ground or on Mallory Dock! And, since it will be equipped with front and side stages, it can do double duty as an entertainment stage. What better background, Eh?

And yeah, I would like feedback on whether anyone thinks that this is a good idea and whether this creature would be desired by fest organizers enough to hire it for demonstrations and stage setups.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Once I get my office reorgainized, I will go back and work on my second novle to the mermaid's tale.

Find a publisher for the first. And finally, but no means least continue my work on my webpage!

Kendra2.jpg

"Courage is the decision to fly straight into the flame while knowing the consequences"~ The Adventures Of A Notorious Youth Capt. Hook

By: J. V. Hart

"A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving."~Lao Tzu 490-570 BC

---------

Yes, I am leaving the pub. I don't know when or if I will come back to this port. I will check in from time to time. Until then:

*raising goblet of good cheer*

" To high adventure, and wild romance....long may they endure!"

For I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content

Philippians 4:11

Twitter:

TwittKnitter

Facebook:

shanamartin1

I'm currently trying to finish a corset. I've already made one for a friend (plus a skirt) so it shouldn't be too difficult. I just need to find the time to do it...I'm a lazy bum and procrastinate a lot.

After that I need to make a couple of shirts, one for said friend and myself (so I can give the one that my sister let me borrow for my first pirate costume, Jack, in 2003...it was used for my Frodo costume in 2004 and if I don't get the other shirt made, might be used for another Jack costume).

Eventually, I would like to make a hat similar to Will Turner's at the end of CotBP but I'd have to go over to the ostridge farm to get a feather.

M. Shamrock, Captain of the Celtic Cross

Some of the Unluckiest are the Luckiest...

Pirates of the Caribbean RPG

banj2.jpg

CAPTAIN JIM....

Whoaaa man, that would be way freakin cool!

I like the twin gun setup you have in the second picture. Man I can't wait to see that!

Do you have a line on a 6 pounder already or are you having it made for you?

Please hurry up and start the project and the new thread here so we can see it all happen.

What parts are you working on researching first?

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Well, aside from me band (we're thinking of calling it 'Tortuga'), I'm trying to work on costuming, starting with the basics. Unfortunately, the only piece of fabric I can find in me house that would make a passable headscarf has been written all over with a sharpie, so I'm gonna have t'get a new one. I've also been workin' on some pirate-themed computer games using a simple program called Gamemaker, I got a small minigame called "Sea Voyage" done, and may start another soon.

"A Merry Life To Savage Men Who Stand by Freedom's Right,

Fuiling Rum To Arm Our Drive And Raid This Ship In Sight. YARRR!"

-"Voyage" by Verbal Deception

Right now, just detailing out my leather pirate coat and waistcoat. Both are a 1750s military pattern from distressed leather with British half-pennies for buttons. All hand-sewn with linen thread. Took me damn near 60 hours in all. When my new cutlass and dirk arrive from Darkwood Armory I'll be hand-carving a leather carryin case for em as well as a baldrick and a sword belt... so I can switch out as the occasion demands. :ph34r:

:ph34r:

Monterey Jack

"yes I am a pirate 200 years too late,

the cannons don't thunder, there's nothin to plunder,

I'm an over-40 victim of fate,

arrivin too late.........."

Eyes just finished putting up my replica map in the cove area today.

next will be some wine barrel(s) . I just came up wit the Idea to make deck railing along one wall - Gallion style of course. I need to do some research first. CApt. Jims Set up would do!

Eye will be getting my pyrate boots and slops together this year and hope to be the "REAL OderlessEye" next faire at Ojia or Vegas.

At the Fair Eye will be lookin to arm myself wit a flintlock.

REading wise I want to get Johnson history....

ANd "The Wooden WOrld"

HAppy sailin to yas.. :ph34r:

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

Thanks GoF, this idea has been percolating for a while, and this is the first time I have let it out in public. Also note the cannon lock thread in Captain Twill.

First comes the estimating:

-How much does a connon weigh

-How much wood, what does it weigh, alternate wood types

-Buckets, hardware, misc stuff

-Is all this more than my truck can tow

-Prices for all

-Is there someone who has grants for this sort of thing (institutions)

-Estimate time to build (I have most of the skills and the tools)

-Build a collection of drawings and pictures of battle stations

-Visit as many real ships as possible, take copious notes

After all of the prliminary stuff, then its time to commit to one design and find drawings of sectons of battle stations. That model you like is actually a good place to start, and building the model will help to teach me how to build the big one. That's why shipbuilders made ship models, to help to iron out any unforseen dificulties before full scale mistakes were made. I may buy the model and modify the hell out of it and make it a model of exactly what I have in mind, trailer and all. It may help to sell the idea to museums, living history groups, historical societies or whatever to get them to invest.

I'm doing all of the prelim stuff while finishing up a house we are building, so time this year is limited. This is, after all a long-term project. I plan to buy one of the rail guns this year, from wildimports.com. and mount it on a small section of rail and deck as sort of a pre project warm-up. That is where the Battle Station project will actually begin to take place. The rest of the project will proceed as time and money permit.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Putting together a demo CD for the Bloody Scupper Plunder Club (my group), making a plethora of slops, breeches, corsets and shirts (gotta expand that piratical wardrobe) and helping to build cannons (Jack's project - he's making a battery of four). I'm sure there are more projects; I just can't think of them.

RHJMap.jpg

Captain Jim., Wow !! that is super!. My best gues would be 600lbs there abouts for the metal alone depending on steel or bronze. not including the carriage. If that was parked at a fest near me I know I would be into watching the demos..,and pilferin around doin a chore or two for ya. Thats a great idea :P I wish I could chime in on the lock but I dont knowmuch other than I heard a story about a british commander who was not to keen on it for awhile., therefore it took a bit to catch on and by the time it would be popular.,The dreaded cap came out. Flinters should been used more really.

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

Captain Jim, that certainly be quite a piece o' work ye gots there, the finished product should be absolutely amazin'.

Nelson Cooke, sounds like it'll be an enjoyable read. I meself was thinkin' o' writin' a short story or two involvin' pirates, although there's probably be a (un)healthy dose o' Lovecraftian horror in there too. :wub:

"A Merry Life To Savage Men Who Stand by Freedom's Right,

Fuiling Rum To Arm Our Drive And Raid This Ship In Sight. YARRR!"

-"Voyage" by Verbal Deception

Cap'n Jim,

that sounds like an excellent project. Last summer during the Trafalgar re-enactment off Portsmouth they had a very similar sort of thing on the shore. IIRC it only had one deck, but with 2 guns - 32pdrs. It was being used for exactly the kind of demonstrations you're talking about , and it worked very well. Good luck man!

With regards to locks, I think the consensus of opinion is probably right and they come in around the 1780s. Linstocks it is.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Main project is organizational: getting the Baratarians up and running full speed, after our momentum at the Battle of New Orleans reenactment. Need to get everyone properly garbed, and want to get several members willing and able to do an interpretive talk on some aspect of Baratarian or period nautical life: navigation, artillery, small arms, edged weapons, medicine, cooking, etc.

Need to educate myself about such topics.

Made a linstock for my little cannon. B)

Anyone within driving distance of New Orleans interested in hooking up with an historically authentic crew? B)

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

Simplier projects for me, making new garb before m' season gets to underway, repairing what needs repaired, finding a new sea chest to put merchandise in, writing 2 or 3 new shows (and gathering up all the bloody props that go with 'em) and... surviving semester #2 of RN school. Nothing real drastic .... :D

Cap'n Emerald

Captain Emerald Shaunassey O' The Salty Kiss

www.TheLadiesoftheSaltyKiss.com