Pyrate Projects

Patrick Hand

We pyrates be a creative bunch we be..... So wot pyrate stuff are you currently working on.....?

Fer meself, thar is the Buccaneer Project.... an I wanna make a BIG flag befor the S.F. Carnaval Parade at the end o' May.... I also have to order some collodian (scare stuff...) so I can be a very Scarry pyrate in th' parade.

I am also re-writing rules for Pyrate Wars, the original rules were written for Legos Battles, but Legos ships are too expensive.... so I'm going to make some wooden ship models and a mold for casting Sculpy pyrate figures, then play test everything.... (great way to waste a day in the park... maybe find some pyrate recrutes)..... I want to see If I can run the game at Ojai next September......

And I'm going to make a cartradge box for the blunderbuss, that I have to figure out how to get the money for........ (very wishfull thinking on my part..... but somehow, it always works out that way...)

And anything else my greasy black 'art can think of.........(I think that is one of the things I like about playing Pyrate...... there is SO much stuff to make.... keeps me busy that way...) :huh:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me own project is ta be gettin me more garb and trinkets ta makes things a bit more intrestin. Avin a ell of o tyme choosin I am. Ave ta see what I comes up with. May even get me a pet monkey. Been thinkin bout it I has.

Shoots anything that moves!!

The Pyrates just debuted their pirate dinner theatre play for Fortune 500 execs. Complete with three life size sets, a 40' ship and a cast of 13. Glad it's over now - we did all the set construction and assembly ourselves...

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Patrick, sounds as if ye are stayin' busy enuf fer all of us! Good luck with all those pyrate projects, mate!

As fer meself, about all I have time fer these days, in the realm of pyracy, is posting and reading posts here at the Pub, plus keeping me website updated regularly (see me profile fer that link).

And, like Jonathan, I be always on the lookout fer new garb.

:huh:

I wonder if one of the most important steps on our journey is the one in which we throw away the map.

-- Loreena McKennitt

My fathers knew of wind and tide, and my blood is maritime.

-- Stan Rogers

I don't pretend to be captain weird.

I just do what I do.

-- Johnny Depp

I'm working on the following projects...

A scottish style baldric with pistol hangers and a penannular brooch shaped buckle.

I'm sculpting silver buttons for a long coat and vest.

I hope to begin my first Queen Anne Pistol from a kit. I'm going to customize the grips with celtic knotwork and rework the metal fittings.

If I get the cutlass before the end of the summer, I'm going to do some detail work on the basket, pommel and blade.

And last but not least, my very own pirate room in the attic.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

And last but not least, my very own pirate room in the attic.

Aye! I be workin' on a pirate room, too. Sea Rover and I are slowly transforming the basement family room into a pirate pub. He wants to make the table and benches, so it might take a while.

And I'm still pluggin' away at my pirate fiction "Anne of the High Seas." That's slow-goin', too. Been sidetracked with a couple non-pirate writing projects.

The Pyrates just debuted their pirate dinner theatre play for Fortune 500 execs. Complete with three life size sets, a 40' ship and a cast of 13. Glad it's over now - we did all the set construction and assembly ourselves...

-- Hurricane

Good lord man! Sounds like we got in the werks fer Pennsic this year! ;)

Right now we've got a 2 story common tent that looks like the back end of a splintered vessel, a new crows nest, new gate and a portable shanty that be lookin' it was made from th' remains of the ship in the works. Only 109 days to complete 't all too! ;)

Oh then there's me personal stuff...new hat, new coat and various other odd an' ends that I be needin'. Ah...life is grand!

I have been getting together a summer outfit for a Relay for Life book signing at the end of the month. I have fixed up a stand for my flag next to the author's tent and put together a pirate chest complete with plastic pirate coins(thanks to Deadmen Tale no Tales) to give to the little pirates. I may not sell a lot of books but Boy! am I having fun.....lol

Here is a photo of the chest.

pchest01a.jpg

Feels like I am going through my 2nd childhood.

KP

We are in fact playing the game "Tropico2" for real for our project.

Before we can become a Pyrate King and build the Tropico Beach and marina we'll have to get other incomes. We must first find an island big enough to support an economy. We knew that being a pirate king would mean HOUSING for pirates., pirates that would carry-out various labor around the island itself to sustain an economy. Then we need it to be able to grow Corn (For sea rations and grog) also it must be able to grow Sugar Cane (Rhum keeps Pirates satisfied). We located a property close to the International Airport in Cebu (Away from Tropico Beach on Negros Oriental). The property in question is 3 blocks from the citys municipal buildings as well as behind the big cemetary and church (These archaic designs.,cemetary's cause fear among captives and is good for pirates.,the church helps the captives accept their role in life).

At this point in the game., we started the first of 2 buildings on 12/08/04 we cal it 4-plex 1. It should be completed by june 1rst then we will begin building 2.,another 4-plex. A housing enviroment for 8 pirate familys and a way for the Pyrate King to gain wealth monthly while building the marina.

8-Plexa.jpg

8-Plexb.jpg

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

Almost forgot...

Built me first treasure chest from scratch - in the living room no less (sawdust not good where electronical things reside) and it came out amazingly well. Didn't even have a square to work with but it squared well... Not bad for a captain who's filling in for ship's carpenter.

The finished piece is two feet by 1.5 feet by about two feet tall - the top is rounded and it was stained in a deep merlot, giving it a reddish tone. Then I added some leather straps to it on each side of the top. Should have photos soon.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

I be doin me damndest ta find a nice boardin axe with authentics looks and feels. I seen what the vendors here at the past three Faires has gots and it's pretty much junk, goth, ergh cheap without direction. Gettin ta be a bit frustratin as well.

'just a thought! Kinda along the line of those atheletes and actors that don't stop and sign autographs!

While I be workin faire this past weeksend I was priv to groups of numerouse bobbins doing homework there and did become sequestered fer a few spells ta be entertainin them with a questions and answers fer class project. Pictures and smiles abounded! I must say we be a scurvy group o dogs and though the times be proper fer our own enjoyment at faire ifin ye gets the request to do some role play you know fer a "Class Project" Naynot let the bobbins down. It be a most energetic introduction of yer own character into a class room topic of faire.

Have some fun with them, keeps its clean and remember once you actually turned in a homework assignment too!

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

Finished the other side.... then came here to real th' post...... should finish the teeth tonight........ Then I have to make a flag pole (about 10' long...) that I can "take apart" The flag was made outta two old bed sheets (one black, the other white) so it's about 6' x 8' ..... I wanted a BIG flag........ B)

have you ever started on a project.... and it didn't turn out bad..... but didn't go together how you had hoped.....

This morning befor work, I was looking at a bundle of re-bar that I kinda aquired (someone gave it to me.....) I got wondering if it would work as a base for a pyrate hook..... So I spent my "breaks" filing the ridges off ( dang.... I need a grinder.....) but I thought it would look cool, if I left a row of the uncut part (one sides ridge, and some from both sides.... made an interesting kinda checky pattern.... looked kinda "snaky" ) I wanted that part on the inside when I bent it...... It took some doin' ("Whats doin' .... I don't know, whats doing with you....") (sorry bad joke).... anyway, when I bent the re-bar, it twisted on me, and the snaky bit is to one side..... going to have to file it off after all..... other than that the metal parts came out O.K. .....

Now to carve the wooden base, and hollow the inside out so it fits me hand..... then add a leather cuff.....

( and it's kinda a bad pun..... Patrick Hand.... with a hook Hand.....)

Dang..... by the time of Carnaval Parade (end of May) .... I'm going to have a hook.... a new flag (and folding ) flag pole.... wonder wot else I can make or do to scare the snot outta the kids...... (bad pyrate.....)

B)

Great job on the flag indeed!! I hope you post the "Hook" that sounds interesting too!

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

On the Hook.... I have to epoxy the hook to the wooden base, and then add a leather cuff ...... then I can take pictures and post them.... (maybe this weekend.... there are a "bunch" of photos I gotta take......)

On the Flag.... The basic idea worked, I'm thinking of making a version of the "Rude Skull".....

For anyone interested on "how" the flag was made.... I pinned the white to the back of the black bedsheet, and using soap marked where I wanted to sew.. I then sewed two lines around all the parts, and then cut out the black on one side, then the white on the other.... I then zig-zages all the edges. (I had "carpet thread" which is too thick.... for the Rude Skull I will use regular thread, and a finer (satin stitch) on all the edges.

For a parade flag, it is a bit "rough"..... but after distressing it, (and from over 5 feet away... noone can see how "rough" it is....) so it worked out......

Nice work, Patrick.

I wonder if one of the most important steps on our journey is the one in which we throw away the map.

-- Loreena McKennitt

My fathers knew of wind and tide, and my blood is maritime.

-- Stan Rogers

I don't pretend to be captain weird.

I just do what I do.

-- Johnny Depp

• 5 weeks later...

Well I fanaly got started on the "master figure" so I can cast (press,.... I'm going to use "Sculpy" ) but make the Pyrate minitures that I've been talkin' (typin" ) about in Pyrate Pop (Lego's battles)

Now I have to finish re-writting the rules, and make a few ships..... then shanjhi some people to play-test the rules......

I will post some photos, when the figure looks more like a pyrate.... right now its just arms, legs and a head........ kinda rough....