Toshiba Tall Ship Festival at Dana Point

Red Maria

Good afternoon, pirates and privateers...

The show is over, but I did have the chance to wander through the marina. A couple of impressions for anybody considering attending the next festival:

The collection of vessels was pleasing and the crews friendly. It's certainly not the largest tallship festival you'll see, but the atmosphere is warm and unassuming. Even the Ocean Education Center was fun and very "hands-on."

The "Spike Africa" is indeed a beautiful schooner, but my first mate kept mumbling bits about "Joe" and and some volcano as we toured through. Wish I could've seen the cannon battle, but regrettably, my employment pulled me away. Perhaps next year, I won't be obligated on the weekends...

I do feel obligated to plug the cause of their premiere ship, the brig "Pilgrim." Her foremast was discovered to be rotten to the core but the Ocean Institute loves her too much to scuttle her. They're working, largely with period tools and processes, to restore the brig to her former majesty. Should you have any inclination, allow me to point the way to where you can learn more: Save the Pilgrim. She is indeed a beautiful vessel:

tall_ship_sea_arch_ts038.jpg

Only by great risks can great results be achieved.

-Xerxes

For those unable to attend, the Port Royal Privateers did a fine performance of the Tryal of Anne Bonny and Mary Read. Allow me to set the scene:

Imagine you're in the marina, in the barn, around the corner from the Ocean Education Center. It is a beautiful day, the crowds are milling about... and suddenly a piratical procession breaks out. It's a parade of sorts as the officer of the court brings an uncooperative pair of accused pirates to the courthouse.

Inside, an audience has assembled to witness the tryal. A crier focuses our attention, bringing us to the time and circumstance surrounding these proceedings. With the blessings of Red Maria, member of the Port Royal Privateers, key moments are illustrated in the Pyracy Pub photo album (a search of "Dana" should round up the four photos).

A certain irony... I'd post links and show the pictures directly - and in sequence - but the forum code chokes on the gallery's listing code.

So, in order, look for:

1) Introduction of the tryal of Anne Bonny and Mary Read

2) The judicial panel for the tryal of Anne Bonny and Mary Read

3) The Charges are read

and finally...

4) Read and Bonny react to the charges

If you missed it at Dana Point, don't miss it in Ojai.

The Touring Gentleman

Only by great risks can great results be achieved.

-Xerxes

Thank you Touring Gentleman, for posting the images of the Tryal of Bonny and Read. I was stuck at the No Quarter Given booth, and though I was the main instigator, behind-the-scenes organiser, and butt kicker to get this tryal performed finally on the West Coast, I couldn't go see it.

With my captain (and husband) playing the vile gouvernor and judge (Sir Nicolas Lawes), I had to remain behind <sniff, sniff>. But I have seen the tryal performed several times on the East Coast, and most of the time I've been in it, playing Mrs. Dorothy Thomas. Last year I was able to persuade Capt. Delilah to portray Mrs. Dorothy Thomas, so I could just sit in the audience and watch. I was glad I did, for I think Delilah's portrayal was superb!

For photos from previous performances, see:

http://noquartergiven.net/pip2002pg3.htm

http://noquartergiven.net/pip2001.htm

http://noquartergiven.net/pip2000.htm

This year, it was funny -- one minute the No Quarter Given booth was literally mobbed with people (mostly kids), and next moment, --whoosh -- they were all gone. Gone to see the tryal. Half an hour later, when the tryal was over -- I was mobbed again. At least it gave me a break when I was left behind to mind the store. On Saturday it was just me and my new, not-yet-broken-in assistant lass, and on Sunday (second performance) I told her to go watch the tryal, so she wouldn't miss it.

Glad you enjoyed the performance at Dana Point.

--Jamaica Rose

--Jamaica Rose

Editor of No Quarter Given - since 1993

http://www.noquartergiven.net/

"Bringing a little pirate history into everyone's life"

Find No Quarter Given

... on Facebook: facebook.com/noquartergiven

... and on Twitter: @NoQuarterGiven