Rope Sandals? Looking for documentation

MadMike

Okay forum members,

I'm stuck on finding a GoAP reference regarding rope sandals. Found vague references to sandals on a Spanish shipwreck off Florida, but no accompanying documentation as to the type or name of ship.

So, if anyone has any period pics or other references, that would be much appreciated. About the closest I can find is the mid 1800's artwork of August Francois Biard (figure on right of pic is wearing a closed toe sandal).

Yours, &c.

Mike

Try these for starters- "A General History of the Pyrates" edited by Manuel Schonhorn, "Captured by Pirates" by John Richard Stephens, and "The Buccaneers of America" by Alexander Exquemelin.

I'm assuming you saw this link in my 'shoes and slippy decks' thread, but here it is again: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/calderon/clo...tm#costumebooks

Read down, and you will see a couple of references to sailors wearing rope shoes in the 16th century. What I'm wondering is if you checked any of the links on that page?? Not sure if they give any further information...

On one of the links I found this picture, considered a 'cartoon', dating from 1600-1650 of a European man, wearing 'sandals' (CAUTION: NUDITY): http://images.colum.edu/costv1/JFIF03/00000963.jpg

Those 'sandals' he's wearing look very much like the 'hemp' sandals whalers wore in the 19th century (according to info from Mystic Seaport Museum).

All references to sandals seem to be early - the 16th and 17th centuries. Now, that would likely mean that such sandals were still available, but who would wear them?

Since the rope sandals seems synonymous with Spanish sailors, could it be that such sandals were cultural preference? If so, that might explain the lack of them on French, Dutch and English pirates, seeing as how they were all usually hunting the Spanish and probably didn't want to be confused for one by dressing like them.

Let's hope someone digs up additional information on rope sandals, will be interested in learning more...

das

Thanks das!

Is that a drawing of Ronnie James Dio?!? :lol: Looks like a barbarian pic, Celt or Teutonic...

Thanks for the link. I actually saw the Calderon Company's page but kept getting 404 errors on some pages.

Since I'm a Florida reenactor, I'll opt for the rope sandals (actually the hemp ones caught my eye). Don't really care for the polypropelene ones but who knows, I may resort to them if I can't obtain natural fiber sandals.

Just walking across the street in my colonial straight lasts convinced me of the need to preserve them.

Yours, &c.

Mike

Try these for starters- "A General History of the Pyrates" edited by Manuel Schonhorn, "Captured by Pirates" by John Richard Stephens, and "The Buccaneers of America" by Alexander Exquemelin.