Talking like a pirate

Mark Leser

• 1 month later...

I 'ave been noticin' myself slippin' inter me pyrate-speakin especially on AIM after bein' on the boards. And even when I be at work in the mundane world. It be most amuzin' askin fer folk's orders (I work at McVomit) an gettin queer looks from those scurvey dogs.

Some in me circle think I'm right down a bit odd. Well I say to Davey Jones' with them! Feed um to the sharks! Twenty lashes o' the Cat!

*grin*

After all, I be a pirate! I do what I will!

• 2 weeks later...

It be right hard fer some to know the difference between "Arggh" and "Arrr" so I be bent on keeping me tune to the proper station as it were, Arrr!

The ship's what matter's though, not the lingo. All my lingo for a day on the Pacific is a fair trade fer sure.

H

Whar's me pipe?

Just a point from something Morgan said way back in March- what be wrong with "Oo-arr, ye combine 'arvester" type of accents? Bloody northerners. I'll tell you that most people I know thoroughly embrace them.... then again, most of the people I associate with are Wurzels fans and are a mite agricultural themselves... well, very agricultural, most of them being farmers' sons.

Anyway, I find myself often slipping into west country speak, which is pretty similar to pirate speak. I still manage proper english a good proportion of the time though. Never the Queen's english, that is far too nobby for my liking, but proper enough....

Because the world does revolve around me, and the universe is geocentric....

• 2 weeks later...

Silly question - from the studious side - acting method 001 - are there tapes - other sources - to use to practice the accent, work usage, etc, of the pirate speak? Me own pirate speak tends to fall into the aussie word use rather than the Queens english. maybe to much mel gibson. Maybe what I need is to find a fair English lass to spend time with - :o

Willie the rum runner :o

if it burns blue, drink it

You can ner' have enough sand in yer stew.

it be kinda funny, at me school pirate speak is more or less the normal slang amongst me friends. o'course, we be pirates, renfaire attendees, and (some) star warriors. (no trekkies though.) anime freaks too, so theres even some japanese in there too.

Aye.

I gots me team and co-workers talkin' like a pirate. Even gave some of the less fortunate pirate-names.

Nice to here a coupla' "Arrrggghhhhs" throughout the halls.

:huh:

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."