Talking like a pirate

Mark Leser

A question for ye corsairs, do most of ye talk like pyrates every waking day in real life, or just on the 19th o' September?

I sometimes forget me words and say things like "I plays" instead of "I play", or "me bucko" instead of "my friend", Among other things. Sometimes me pirate lingo comes out of me in real life without me thinkin' much.

:rolleyes: some works it way into my dane life and so does faire speak. ti all depends on the occasion, i think. my broklyn accent slips thrpugh sometimes too. it's all part of who i am and my friends know it. B)

~snow :D

with faith, trust and pixiedust, everything is possible ;)

if it be tourist season, why can't we shoot them?

IWG #3057 - Local 9

emmf steel rose player - bella donna, 2005

improv cast member and dance instructor - fort tryon medieval festival

lady neige - midsummer renaissance faire

I was saying "Arrrggghhhh" before I ever got into the pirate scene. ;)

I say "Arrgggghhhh" a lot instead of cussing. That's because I have a parrot that can pick up words and repeat them. I don't want him cussing, though I admit some words have slipped through my lips. (That dang bird surprised me one day when he said 'Hey stupid' :huh: )

As for other words, not really much.

Rumba Rue

** ;) **

I haven't notice that I actually speak (voice) like a pyrate unless purposefully doing so. I have noticed, however, that after posting/chatting here, I will have the tendency to speak in pyrate tongue in regular emails right afterwards. Same thing holds true when I update my pirate webpage and then go to write "regular" emails. It makes me laugh when I do that.

Somehow speaking like a pirate is very easy and addicting!

I wonder if one of the most important steps on our journey is the one in which we throw away the map.

-- Loreena McKennitt

My fathers knew of wind and tide, and my blood is maritime.

-- Stan Rogers

I don't pretend to be captain weird.

I just do what I do.

-- Johnny Depp

Aye! Mark Leser! In the fact of the matters be, Me finds meself talkin in charachter mostly out of me own need ta perfect me habbit (???)Errgghhh was that Hobbit? Nay not, it be habit! Indeed!

It be the way, the truth, and the life!

(changed so as ta knots interupt a closely and worldly 'spression of faith)

Ye be a pirate froms where me ole son? and am I remiss in 'avin a drynke wit thee?

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

I find that on some occasions I speak like a pirate caricature, but mostly I just speak like myself. After all, many pirates were educated by the finest schools of thought.

Still, I can't help but let a few "AAAAARRRS" and "Yo-ho-hos" slip every now and then. Aye.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Well, I usually manage to curb the pirate speak, cause I find it easier when others are speaking it with me. But, as I often do most of my posting in the computer lad at school, me one teacher is amused to no extent by this here pirate web-board, and is constantly asking me to talk like a pirate. I find meself laughing to hard to even get out an "Arrgh", which has now become my computer teachers greeting to me.

Bein' from England and still holdin' me accent well t'begin with, most people don't notice me addin' in a few extra phrases or droppin a few extra letters.

Most o'me friends are accustomed to it, but I still find that I get strange looks from folk when I use words like "Reckon"i.e. "I reckon it's going to rain today.". Apparently they don't use the word up here in the north east. Though, the fact that I already drop me arrrs make sme fit in with the bostonian crowd easier.

As far as me own pirate speak, generally I don't change me accent at all, since I recieved a fair education in England, and I always imagine me pirate self would've don the same.

It took me a while to force meself to even type pirate-speak, and ye'll notice sometimes me brain corrects the grammer and spellin' without me noticin'.

Because, really, I should just be typing the Queen's English. I think my English teachers would have a fit reading anything I've written on this site. <-- ( Spoken in hoitey toitey Queens English accent. ;) )

"Work is the curse of the drinking classes."

Aye pyrate talk does work its way in to me every day conversation.. Lass and lads come up a lot, as well as other sayings. I get some wierd looks at times, but I donna let it bother me. I am what I am I tells them. <_< THey do get a kick out of it.

Sealegs Constance

I am what I am

RumbaRue, Ye'd be surprised how many curses get placed on me head everyday fer the mere fact o'my accent. "Damn you having such a cool accent!" etc...

Though I can speak in a clean English, I mainly grew up in Lincolnshire, so I've a bastardised sort of english. It's not the Queens english, but it's not horrible, "Oo-arr, ye combine 'arvester" type of accent either, and it's far from Jeordie.

Bein' english, I find it easy to sound and appear innocent and good, though there be no doubt among me friends that I can swear with the best o'any of the English lads. ( 'course, I grew up with me brother an' his friends cursin all the time ) I can also drink with the best o'them too, much to the amazement o'some of me mates, since I am only 5'3 and 105 pounds. It runs in the family.

I find the main problem with the americans who insist on speaking british at me, is their use of words. We do not say bloody all the time. I very rarely ever use this term, though I do exclaim "bollocks!" fairly often, which me friends laugh a me for. Bloody is reserved inmy vocabulary for when something "Really Bloody Hurts!" though it's often preceeded with various other explicit terms.

I can fake a Liverpoodlian accent very well. One o'me best mates growin' up was a Liverpoodlian.

I babble to much.

<_<

I moved over here to The Americas ( as it were) in.... errrmmm... 2001 I think it was.

I moved due to job opportunities for my step dad ( with whom I moved, as well as my mum ) My dad and stepmum are still in england, along with my older brother, and various family. I also have family in Holland, and sparse family in Australia. My mum's side of the family is pretty much exclusively in canada, to which they moved about 25 years ago.

What do you want to know about England, there's a lot to say really, almost everything is different. People assume it's the same becuase we speak the same language ( barely :lol: ), but it's really not.

being Spanish meself though with "letters of marque" from Elizabeth herself I can only summize that as you say then American women do they fake it alot?

To fake or not to fake that is the question. Well this woman will never tell. laughing1.gif

Rumba

** B) **

To fake! Or! Not to fake, that is the question? errrgghhhh! what I mean is the likes of some won't knows the difference anysways.

you are so right diego. morgan - i so love yhe english accent - my grandmother was born and raised in sunderland and her accent was a blend of the english with a scottish burr. i loved listening to her and trying to copy it. now, i'm pretty good at picking up accents, especially after a rum or three! B)

IWG #3057 - Local 9

• 2 weeks later...

I was just thinking about "pyrate talk"..... I naturaly have a deap voice, but when in a parade or "playing" pyrate, I drop it even deeper..... (Long John Silver....) But wot got me thinking...... when I "drop" my voice, I get into the "Mood/spirit" of the "play pyrate bit...... it just kinda "works" that way......

Dr. Phil says:

Like many here, I find myself using "pyrate-speak" quite frequently in everyday life. A waitress brings a cup of coffee - I reply, "Thank ye, m'lady"...I use the terms "lass" and "lad" for children..."Aye" comes up more often than not...and "arrrgh", as over-used and expected as it has become, is always on the tip of my tongue.

PyratePhil says:

Aye, I be usin' the pyrate words - what be it to ye?!? Sometimes it be embarrassin, it be...but even me cabin boys be speakin' the speech now...we three be cruisin' on th' weekend in various ports, and the men- an' wimmen-folk be lookin' a mite queer at us - we jes' be chucklin' away...

...Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum...

~ Vegetius

Dr. Phil says:

Like many here, I find myself using "pyrate-speak" quite frequently in everyday life. A waitress brings a cup of coffee - I reply, "Thank ye, m'lady"...I use the terms "lass" and "lad" for children..."Aye" comes up more often than not...and "arrrgh", as over-used and expected as it has become, is always on the tip of my tongue.

;) the same goes for ren speak. it's just so easy. 'lady, good den, see thee anon, i thank ye, pritthee.......... ;)

IWG #3057 - Local 9