Dagger Sheaths

Okay, so last season I bought this gorgeous dagger right? But it didn't come with a sheath, just a display stand as it's really meant as more of a decorative piece. But I just love this thing and want to carry it on me for next season, just for looks.

Being broke and cheap, I'm not sure i want to spend the money on the ones I've found online, so my questions are thus . . .

a) does anyone have anyone have any patterns or directions on how to make one short of eyeballing it (which I've done . . .) also recommendations on materials provided I can't get my hands on some leather, might be nice. (Again, I've experimented with leatherish looking viynal, and it was a good thing.

b)Anyone know of someplace I can order one within a minimal price range (think high-school student with part-time job and car insurance and grad fees to pay kind of cheap!)

Ah, sucks - that so sweet of ye! :) I prolly exagerrated before, but if ye'd be willing to do it for me, it'd be grand, but it'd even be great if ye could just walk me through it. I'm okay at sewing general stuff, but leather is a new forte and like I said before, the practice trys I did kind of didn't turn out well.

This reminds me of when I was still working Southern Faire and taking those dang workshops. I had a knife that had an interesting curve to it. The twit doing the class said I wouldn't be able to make a sheath for it.

Well I showed him! Made a wonderful sheath and made him speechless.

I have a friend in Las Vegas who did a fantastic sheath for a knife I had, complete with Celtic embossing. I've got two more that need sheaths, so I'll just draw an outline of the knife, (as Roylist said) and I'll send the drawings off to my friend to make them.

I can't do that kind of work as my hands can't handle it anymore.

Rumba Rue

** :D **

• 2 months later...

me and my father have been doing custom leatherwork for years.. my father used to work ouf of schroders arms at southern cali faire. not to mention doing sca events since i was born. if you run in the older cali sca/ faire groups anyone can tell you that "leather by longshore" stands behind thier work. and it we have a lifetime warrenty against it falling apart. if thiers a problem in the stitches or leather (aside from abuse) we will either repair or replace it.

if you have a picture of the dagger i could be of more help because i could tell you hoe long it would take (curved daggers and odd shaped guards are hareder to design)

we wold need the dagger here todo the work because we dont do generic sheaths. they are wet formed to that dagger/sword, which helps keep them in the sheath when running without stupid hold downs or ties.

we can do just about any tooling and designs you want on it aswell. but that gets pricey because its all hand work (heat press's are no-no's)

now dont get me wrong we are very reasonable especially for custom work.

example: a typical double edged dagger with a 10 inch blade in black, brown, green or any earth tone color with say a celtic knot (stamped not hand) at the top band with a belt loop or holder for a baldric.

id say 25- 35 dollars (depending on blade width) +shipping to return it to you

we also do custom bags, belts, baldrics, sheaths, scabbards, adveturing packs (pics up soon), map cases, messenger bags, provision bags, tankard straps, sword frogs, ahnd about anthing else that you can think of aside from boots (were not cobblers :o )

misery a.k.a. douglas of longshore

• 4 weeks later...

My Boss gave me this realy long scarry looking kitchen knife.... I wanna re-do the handle, then try a trick I read in a Track of the Wolf catalog.....to make a knife sheath....

cover the blade with a few layers of masking tape.... then cut-out the leather for the sheath (for me that part is easy.... for others it may be easier said than done.....) but then cover the inside of the leather with epoxy, and quickly sew it together befor the epoxy sets....... the tape is sopopse to keep the blade from sticking to the whole thing..... I think I will use some epoxy putty instead (it's not as "sticky") but it should make a hard shell for the sheath....

For my cutlass, I made an inner "core" outta aluminum flashing, and then sewed the leather over that..... it makes a "nice" rasping sound when I pull the cutlass out, but sometimes the core comes out also..... next one I'll rivet or glue the core inplace.......