No more pub popups

Guest Angus MacVox

Guest Angus MacVox

You may have noticed that there were Pop-unders on Pyracy Pub. These advertisers didn't pay the pub, rather, I was partipating in a pop-under exchange. Every 2 times the pub showed a popunder ad, the pub was advertised somewhere else on the web.

Anyway, a member had a problem with them at work, and they didn't seem to be doing much good anyway, so I got rid of it.

Angus, I am very glad that you have disabled this feature.

I haven't visited the forums in a while, and those pop-ups were the reason.

I'm not the member you mention, but on two separate occasions, McAffee caught one of those pop-ups downloading what it identified as two virus files onto the computer that I use at, ahem, a different location. Without going into details, it was quite problematic.

Here at home, I was bringing a new pc online, and delayed visiting here until I made sure I had my antiviral, anti-pop-up and firewall act together.

I would strongly recommend to the members here that you scan your computers after getting the most recent updates for your AV software.

I would also recommend getting it scanned by an anti-syware/adware program. (I supect this is what the pop-up was installing). I believe these can be had free on the web. AV software won't necessarily pick up these nasty little implants.

I'm a Googler, and Google has a very convenient toolbar available for free. The latest version has an option to disable pop-ups, which has worked well for me. It should be noted that any add-on browser software can bring it's own vulnerabilities, but I think in this case the advantages outweigh any risk.

So, don't let yourself be pirated. Nothing more embarrassing than a pirated pirate.

BTW, since it has been awhile, I don't recall the Synth ad. What was particularly obnoxious about it?