Help me get to Key West

Bilgemunky

My family and I (being my wife, 15 year old son, and sister-in-law) take an annual summer road trip. We were considering Key West as our destination this year, but we want to make sure our son enjoys the trip, and he's dreadfully at "that age."

While the ocean alone is enough of a reason for the rest of us, our son requires a little more excitement these days. I know there's the new pirate museum, and he's fond enough of pirates, but he's mostly excited about creepier things - haunted places, cemetaries, vampire tours, and such. We took a trip to Salem a few years back and he adored it.

So, being as I'd love nothing more than visit Key West this summer, but have to convince a gothic teen that visiting sunny florida is a GOOD thing, can any of you familiar with the area suggest some destinations/activities he might be able to get excited about?

I AM BILGEMUNKY

There is a nightly haunted tour of Key West led by a character in costume, telling all the sordid tales of Key West. In Captain Tony's there is the originally town hanging tree, still growing out of the floor. There is also a person buried over by the pool table - you can see the slab there with the inscription. And kids can be in many of the bars all night, as long as they get in there before 8. My own son is 6 1/2 and was a Captain Tony's for all our piratical gigs - he even bested one of our mates in pool there.

Of course, there's also the wonderful cemetary there, with a whole cast of characters, including the famous inscription, "I told you were sick." The gate house has a handy map. And this is where all the crewmen from The Maine are buried.

For Taylor is haunted - hundreds died of yellow fever there and if you're lucky enough, you will see ghosts - some of our crewe did, near what turned out to be the infirmry.

That's it off the top of my head for the creepier things there. I know there are many more. IM or email Deadly Aim - she lives there and can tell you much more...

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Ahoy Bilgemonkey. I have been to Key West once about 6 years ago. I remember seeing many teenagers, as well as families there. As Monsieur Hurricane mentioned the cemetary there is really awesome especially the monument to the USS Maine victims (Spanish-American War). If me memory serves correctly, there is one of those god-awful Ripley's Believe-it-or-not museums, which always appeals to "that age" group, as well as lots of cool gift shops, bars, restaurants, museums, a vintage aquarium, the fabulous sunsets, scuba diving and boating tours. And, don't forget to visit Jimmy Buffett's store! The drive through the keys on US 1 (Overseas Highway) is spectacular in itself.

Ye must also be pre-warned (if ye have never been to Key West), that it is one of the gay community's Crown Jewels, so be prepared to see some outrageous sights! Just be open-minded to these things, if ye and yer family visit the island.

It truly is a great vacation spot. I highly recommend it to anyone. :)

Captain Ciaran

I wonder if one of the most important steps on our journey is the one in which we throw away the map.

-- Loreena McKennitt

My fathers knew of wind and tide, and my blood is maritime.

-- Stan Rogers

I don't pretend to be captain weird.

I just do what I do.

-- Johnny Depp

There's a goth bar called O/ Zone on the way, though it sounds like (all due respect) the kid is not going to shine to drinking Shirley Temples there with you.

There's also the notrious Key West City Cemetery, a tourist attraction that delights all ages (except the very old) known for epitaphs like “I Told You I Was Sick” and “At Least I Know Where He’s Sleeping Tonight” on the stones.

Most important, Florida's also got TV and text messaging.

boatchase.gif

Thanks for the tips thus far - it sounds like there's definitely hope :ph34r:

No worries about the gay community - our lives aren't exactly sheltered, and as long as we don't accidentally stumble into one of those clothing optional cafes I've read about, I think we'll be alright.

I AM BILGEMUNKY