Calico Jack: Why not just Cotton Jack?

Nelson Cooke

I know calico's a kind of cotton. But everyone wore it in Jack's day. It wasn't rare at all. It'd be like called Polyester Jack. A smart guy I know "hypothesizes" (the smart bastard loves that word instead of just "thinks") it's because Jack Rackham's cotton shirts were spotted with blood and gunsmoke--and spotted red and black is the dictionary definition of calico. Kinda like the cats. Historians, ahoy. Please don't tell me the smart bastard is right as usual.

boatchase.gif

actually, not in the sense he was talking about. From my reading he got the name Calico because of the duds he wore. They were mulit colored. When I can find it again I'll post the source of it.

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Captain of SIREN'S RESURRECTION,

Her fleet JAGUAR'S SPIRIT, ROARING LION , SEA WITCH AND RED VIXEN

For she, her captains and their crews are....

...Amazon by Blood...

...... Warrior by Nature......

............Pirate by Trade............

If'n ye hear ta Trill ye sure to know tat yer end be near...

Calico Jack

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Jack Rackham, commonly known as Calico Jack, was a pirate captain during the 18th century. He earned his name from the colourful Calico clothes he wore,

ther ya be...

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

...Amazon by Blood...

Adding to what Corsair said

1689: the first calico printworks was begun in Germany at Augsburg and was later to grow into a large industry

1708 William III signed a law prohibiting the importation of printed silks, this only made calicos and silks more popular

1716 There were now more than 30 laws in England prohibiting the importation of calico and cotton; prints became more popular than ever.

So for early 18th I would imagine that they were still an unusual choice of clothing.... enough so to be have a nickname that reflected it.

GoF

And except for the early and late 18th Cotton will be banned in England to protect the domestic market from imports from India other places

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

well even though Jack was English...he was a pirate so, he would have access and be more likely to wear forbidden material .. sacking a ship that would have been carrying the forbidden stuff to another port.

For if nothing else but, to say nanner nanner...

:-P

to the authorities. ya know. :huh:

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

...Amazon by Blood...