Fox tails

I'm doing a cultural artifact on Fox tails and there popularity in faire but i need to know if the have some actual historical significants and maybe a site with that kind of information.

But why is the rum gone?

Save a horse ride a cowboy!

Take me away and take me farther, suround me now and hold me like holy

My toes are getting pruney

Also my head is round that window is square....

My name is Micheal J Kabous and i eat babies!

Your toast has been burned and no amount of scraping will remove the black stuff

Could it have come from Aesop's Fables...

"The Fox Who Had Lost His Tail

A FOX caught in a trap escaped, but in so doing lost his tail. Thereafter, feeling his life a burden from the shame and ridicule to which he was exposed, he schemed to convince all the other Foxes that being tailless was much more attractive, thus making up for his own deprivation. He assembled a good many Foxes and publicly advised them to cut off their tails, saying that they would not only look much better without them, but that they would get rid of the weight of the brush, which was a very great inconvenience. One of them interrupting him said, "If you had not yourself lost your tail, my friend, you would not thus counsel us."

(Translated by George Fyler Townsend)

Seems to be a certain character link between the fox in the story and certain types of rogues, ones who seem to go from one adventure to another, oft at the skin of their teeth :blink:

...Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum...

~ Vegetius

Guest SirenSong

I heard that too but was told it was because Foxes were very crafty and cunning creatures. And of course cause Foxes were natural tricksters. Like Pirates are reputed to be. I had a friend from Norway that once told me that stories or legends regarding Loki often had him take the shape of the sly fox. I dont know how true it is..but it would make sense for a pirate to liken himself to such a creature.

I have no idea of the historical context of those things, but I forever associate them with people of the Furries persuasion. Which is something I always found a little weird.

The Duchess

Guest SirenSong

Well personally I favor wolves. But yes..The Fox and coyote are often referred to as tricksters. Just in diffrent parts of the world. I think the only place the Coyote is really used is in the states..everyone else uses the fox..But I could be wrong.

..."Wow check out the tail on that one........."

I don't think you will find any historical reference to period wearing of fox tails (OK..... there is a painting (I think by Breugel) showing some fools wearing them...) but that will probably be the closest......

I've heard people say they were to catch fleas to avoid the plaque.... but I think they are worn just for the silly joke at the begining of this post....... :blink:

Well personally I favor wolves. But yes..The Fox and coyote are often referred to as tricksters. Just in diffrent parts of the world. I think the only place the Coyote is really used is in the states..everyone else uses the fox..But I could be wrong.

Well, funny thing -

My friend spent some time in the lower states - maybe she picked up the coyote thing there - but as you said, fox, coyote, and wolf are all brothers.

~ Vegetius

I won't wear one at the faires, because I don't think we should kill something just because we can...

I wear a set of tuned bells on my behind, that I have named.. bumbells.

Pirate Lass with sass, brass, a cutlass, an a nice *ss. Capt of the FOOLS GOLD PIRATES

BLAST BREAST CANCER! GET A MAMMOGRAM AND SAVE YOUR TREASURED CHEST:

http://www.myspace.c...iratesthinkpink

http://www.myspace.c...oolsgoldpirates

CAPT OF THE ONLY PYRITE SHIP AFLOAT: THE FOOL'S GOLD- look for us and Captain Merrydeath on facebook!

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

...which reminds me o' th' endin' o' th' famous limerick -

...when he knocked them together

they played "Stormy Weather"

And lightning shot ...etc. etc...

:blink:

~ Vegetius

I believe they are sufficiently in-authentic, as well as un-piratey, that I should move this thread to Pirate Pop. I've read a great deal on the period from the late 1600s to late 1700s and never, in anything I have read, have I encountered a mention of fox tails being worn.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

If you've done any trapping, or know any fur traders, you will understand that other that all being canines, the Wolf, coyote, and fox are all their own number one enemies in that order. In nature, they are dependent on the same prey animals, and they are very territorial,so...a fox will run from the first two, the coyote, from the first one, etc...Modern game calls for hunting coyotes are taped call of fox in distress,etc...As far as tails, they are fluffy and interesting, but hard to keep forever, as the tanning solution has a hard time peenetrating the tube of skin that surrounded the bone in the tail.....

I won't wear one at the faires, because I don't think we should kill something just because we can...

see where i am at faire we regard bell wearers as prostitutes....

But why is the rum gone?

Your toast has been burned and no amount of scraping will remove the black stuff

holey cows!!

that is weird.. even the little girls wear bells, and they are sold at the shops. Usually they are on the hips like a belt. I wear mine vertically.

Interesting how things change..

Pirate Lass with sass, brass, a cutlass, an a nice *ss. Capt of the FOOLS GOLD PIRATES

BLAST BREAST CANCER! GET A MAMMOGRAM AND SAVE YOUR TREASURED CHEST:

http://www.myspace.c...iratesthinkpink

http://www.myspace.c...oolsgoldpirates

CAPT OF THE ONLY PYRITE SHIP AFLOAT: THE FOOL'S GOLD- look for us and Captain Merrydeath on facebook!

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

I've been doing faires for many a year in my lifetime so far and have never heard the prostitue stuff. I've worn bells occasionally for the fun of it and the nice tinkling noise from them.

As for animal tails, geez I think some gals just enjoy the fun of it too.

I will continue to look at these things as a fun thing the wearer wants to do and not some stupid conotation like the wearing of those rubber colored bracelets the young girls do in school that are suppose to mean something else.

Geez people think of the most negative stuff when it comes to clothing and accessories.

Rumba Rue

**I don't need accessories, I can flirt just fine without them** ^_^

Hmm... in the SCA, there's the Sisterhood of the Foxes Tail...

Women who wear foxes tails on their belts? Gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "Chasin' Tail"

:blink:

Why else do you think women wear them? <_<

I always thought it was a bravery/strength/cunning thing (i.e wear them to gain said. . .) - not very piraty, but very tribal warrior kind of thing.

Which faire is that Mary? Ye be from California too, trying to think which faire thinks that. Hmmm..... <_<

i think it were a joke set on by some one i knew way back and i think he told me that to make me stop wearing bells.... they really anoyed him.

But why is the rum gone?