Need "kid friendly" pirate movie

Yes. Dora. All my kids have had to watch Dora's Pirate Adventure because my 4 year old is a fierce and unyielding and LOUD little buccaneer herself.

Actually, as I'm typing, Muppet Treasure Island is playing yet again... (imagine the music here...) ...When you're a professional pirate, you don't have to wear a suit... He's singing that now.

My kids (ages 4 to 13) have watched and enjoyed most of the pirate movies mentioned so far. Even my 4 (who was at the time 3) has watched POTC, fighting skeletons and all, with no problems. She thought they were cool. But, my friend has a son who's 8 and can't watch Power Rangers because he has nightmares. It all depends on the individual kid.

Fancy

The nightmare thing is pretty wierd. I remember an episode of Buck Rogers (of all things) that had some sort of vampire in it. I was 11 or 12 at the time and woke from a nightmare because of it and couldn't go back to sleep. No clue why something like that would scare a kid that age as bad as that.

As to the movies mentioned, I tend to agree with Muppet Treasure Island mostly because you can stop it at almost any point once all the guests have arrived and start it up again later if the kids incist without having a riot on your hands.

I am Julius Aurelius, future ruler of the universe. Kneel quickly, for I have many feeble minds to overcome.

I would also recommend the Disney movie "Blackbeards Ghost" with Dean Jones and Peter Ustinov.

Yow! I forgot that movie existed! Just the title brought back memories! I'll pick this up the next time I get to Blockbuster! (now if I can just get through the ten inches of snow in my driveway....)

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

The show is over and boy do I feel like someone swabbed the deck with me head.

I started out with Treasure Island. It held the other boys interest for awhile, but then they gave up. It held the 5 year old for awhile, but the 3 year old would have nothing to do with it. While the movie was playing, the kids took turns having mustaches and beards painted on their faces and putting their sashes and head scarfs on. (made from cheap marroon cotton fabric)

On to the food and games...

First we ate pizza and drank pirate grog with a touch of blood. (Lemonade with a drop of cherry juice because I couldn't find my ice cube trays to make frozen blood). Under one of the plates was a clue that read, "Good to see you, Mate)

This led to the pin the eye patch on the pirate game using my smaller jolly roger flag. The prize was an eye patch, one of which had a clue taped to it which said, "Fire in hole".

This led to the game, Cannon Ball pop where the kids stomped on black ballons until the ballons were all popped and the next clue was released from inside the ballon. This clue read, "Polly wants a cracker."

The next game was Pass the Parrot (like hot potatoe) where the kids tossed this stuffed parrot around while POTC soundtrack played. Once the music stopped, the person holding the parrot was out. The last person one a prize on which a glue was taped that said, "Prepare for Battle!"

This led to the game where two "ships" were created in the yard, each loaded with colored newspaper "cannon balls". Once the music started, the cannon balls flew until all gone. The team with the most cannon balls in the other team's ship won. They got to throw cannon balls at the other team while that team "walked the plank" (a balance beam made of 2x4s). The winning team had to walk the plank too (and get hit with cannon balls) if they wanted their prize of a telescope to which a clue was taped that said, "Let them eat cake."

This led to the cake and ice cream part of the party. After eating the cake, there was a clue taped to the underside of one of the plates which read, "Dead men tell no tales."

At this point I sent them to the kitchen table which had been covered in brown craft paper and on which I had drawn a map. The map showed a skeleton with a treasure chest by his feet. The kids ran out into the yard to "Ded Bob", the skeleton hanging from the pine tree. Behind a large boulder at his feet was a treasure chest. Inside the treasure where brown paper goodie bags filled with pirate tatoos, gold coins, "gems", and compass.

Each bag had written on it "The booty belongs to the Pirate...." My son was Captain Jake Sparrow. His brother was First Mate Mad Matthew. The youngest was Ship Surgeon Nautical Nicholas. His friend s were Makim Bleed Reed, Red-eye Ryan, Trans-Atlantic Tony and his brother Trans-pacific Tim, Tempest of the Seas Taylor, Misty Avalon of the Catalina Inn, Atta the way Allison, Terror of the Seas Taylor, and Firey Irish Aiden.

We ended with beating a treasure chest pinata with makeshift swords until more gems, coins and jeweled necklaces fell. We then followed up with watching POTC (the 5 and 3 year old were gone by then) while the adults cleaned up the yard.

Have 10 kids over to your house for sugary cake and ice cream, painful. :blink:

Pirate Party for your kid's birthday, priceless. :blink:

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.