Need "kid friendly" pirate movie

Ahoy scallywags,

I be havin a Natal Celebration for me mini-pirate who turns 11. I be needin some distraction for the group and am looking for "kiddie" friendly movies to be playing on the picture box while awaint all to arrive. The ages being from 3-12, so the popular POTC is out of the question.

So, let's here yer suggestion. The celebration is Saturday, so obscure titles, although interesting, not be available.

Blackheartedly,

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

How about The Goonies or The Princess Bride? They're not movies in the Errol Flynn mold, but they're pirate related. Speaking of Errol, his pirate movies would seem to be pretty kid friendly by today's standards. Plus there's always the multivarious Peter Pan movies (including several live action versions, Disney's take and Hook).

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Leave the Goonies out - it contains lots of swear words...

I would pick Hook and Muppet Treasure Island... Peter Pan is also good, and less well known. Not the Disney diatribe - but the live action made a couple years back with a great Captain Hook.

-- The Captain

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Muppet Tresure Island is a hoot -still makes me laugh my arse off! And, just an observation, but the soundtrack is done by the same guy who did the POTC soundtrack.

Errol Flynn is good, but might be harder to follow for the wee littlies . . .

Muppet Treasure Island was composed by Hans Zimmer. He also did the music for the Lion King. The music for Pirates is composed by Klaus Badelt.

Yup, the Muppets, Hook and Peter Pan (either the cartoon or the one with Jason Issacs) are your best bets. :)

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

Ah yes, the live Peter Pan that came out in December 2003; now THERE was a Hook! :lol:

I would also recommend the Disney movie "Blackbeards Ghost" with Dean Jones and Peter Ustinov.

Then there is the 1980 silly take-off of the Pirates of Penzance called "The Pirate Movie" with Christy McNichol.

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.

Zimmer has several really good scores, although you sometimes only get bits and pieces of them. Cool Runnings, True Romance and Backdraft are three that I like. He was sort of an overseer on the POTC soundtrack. Anyhow...

Oh, yes, 3 year olds...I was thinking for 11 year olds. Goonies may be a bit much.

There's always the short The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything by the Veggie Tales group. (Of course that has a moral/Christian side to it as all VT shows do.)

'Cuz we're the Pirates Who Don't Do Anything!

We just stay at home and lie around.

And if you ask us to do anything, we'll just tell you ...

We don't do anything!

Well, I've never plucked a rooster and I'm not too good at ping-pong,

and I've never thrown my mashed potatoes up against the wall,

and I've never kissed a chipmunk and I've never gotten head lice,

and I've never been to Boston in the fall!

"Huh? What are you talking about? What's a rooster and mashed potatoes have to do with being a pirate??"

"Hey, that's right! We're supposed to sing about pirate-y things!"

"Oh ..."

(From the Veggie Tales song)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

Zimmer has several really good scores, although you sometimes only get bits and pieces of them. Cool Runnings, True Romance and Backdraft are three that I like. He was sort of an overseer on the POTC soundtrack.

okay - my confusion has passed - Zimmer was the producer! Okay! No problem! Still explains why Muppet Tresure Island sounds exactly like POTC and why POTC sounds like the "Gladiator" Soundtrack. They are all related to zimmer!

I would also recommend the Disney movie "Blackbeards Ghost" with Dean Jones and Peter Ustinov.

Awh..... I ain't seen that movie sence it first came out...... Can't remember much of it.... other than I wanted to be a pirate after seeing it .......

maybe it's time for me to watch some movies again .......

I forgot about Blackbeard's Ghost. May be a little dated for today's kiddies but Peter's performance alone is worth watching the movie and I would love to stay at the inn or decorate my own home just like it.

-- The Captain

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir is great.....if you can find it. :huh:

Privateer & Commander of "Finnegan's Wake"

Faodaidh fearg sealltainn a strigh air cridh an duine ghlic, ach comhnaichdh i an amadain.

(Anger may look in on a wise man's heart, but it abides in the heart of a fool.)

I love the Rex Harrison/Gene Tierney "Ghost and Mrs. Muir" but it would be a little too adult for the age range, I fear. Also, Captain Gregg was not a pirate.

"Blackbeard's Ghost" was shown at my original Talk Like A Pirate Day celebration/movie marathon. It's Disney so the little kids will like it. :huh:

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.

I'm the mum of a couple 'o powder monkeys, ages 11 and 16...

All of the movies mentioned are grand, but here's me review in terms of youngin's....

But remember most kids 3-11 won't want to sit still for an entire movie at a party anyway....

Here's another huge huzzah for "Muppet Treasure Island".. The adults will probably enjoy it too. " Professional Pirate" sung by Tim Curry is worth watching the movie for.

In fact there is a "Sing Along Songs" edition by Disney (about 30 min) with only the songs on it. Great for short attention spans. You might try your library, Amazon or EBAY to hunt that one up!

"The Wiggles" have Captain Feathersword and a song called "Pirate Dancing" for the preschool set ....

"The Crimson Pirate" is loved at my house (as long as you tell them it's a corny antique, they'll appreciate it)

"The Man in the Iron Mask" (new one) has pirates (and of course Musketeers) in it- Also written by Terry and Ted .

Hook is a bit heavy with kidnapped kids and an actually dying teenager in it. Rufio gets run through.

Princess Bride a bit slow in spots for pre-teens

I can't remember anything amiss except a couple of amourous scenes in "Cutthroat Island", though there may be swearin' . I admit we like that one too. But if POTC is out (cause of the skeleton scene?) then you probably wouldn't like this one either.

In my experience, kids take things happening to other kids (Goonies, Hook) worse than if it were the adults.

Stormfeathersiggycopy.jpg

Many good pirate movies for kids have been mentioned.

I give another vote for Muppet Treasure Island (just watched this again tonight with my 4 year old) and Peter Pan (2003).

I also love the old Treasure Island movie with Robert Newton (I think that's his name) as Long John Silver. (I love to hear him talk). At Walmart you might find a dvd with some old tv shows, "The Adventures of Long John Silver" also starring Robert Newton. I got mine for just $1.

And there's Treasure Planet, which is still one of my favorites, watched it with the kids tonight as well.

When my younger son turned 7, we celebrated with a pirate party, it was great fun. I think they especially liked the pirate ship battle (with ping pong balls as cannonballs) and of course the treasure hunt.

Fancy

Dora's Pirate Adventure? I'm trying to imagine an 11 year old sitting through Dora or the Wiggles... :D (OTOH, I have on occasion been able [or coerced by a fierce and unyielding 4 year old] to sit through Dora and the Wiggles, so who knows?)

I think part of the problem is the age range here. 3 - 11? At 11, I was slaying imaginary skeleton warriors, fancying myself to be James Bond and building POTC skeleton models. Hmm...maybe I was building POTC models when I was 8... at any rate, when I was 3 I imagine I was watching the multi-colored blurs that represented Big Bird, Burt and Ernie and Mr Hooper. (Whatever happened to Mr. Hooper?)

As for movie reviews...

Hook is a bit heavy handed in general. (Did anyone miss that subtle message about parenting?) Still, it's kinda' fun to watch Hoffman - maybe not for the kiddies it isn't, but...

Pre-teens would find The Princess Bride slow? I wish that movie had come out when I was a pre-teen so I could appreciate as much as I do Star Wars! Alas in '87 I was in college and didn't even find cause to see it in the theatres. Ah, well. Different strokes for different pre-teens.

Mission_banner5.JPG

Hook is a little plodding - I fast forward through the ponderous Lost Boys training segment until the food fight, that is.

My cabin boy has watched pirate movies since he was 2. His favorites: 1) Cutthroat Island (lots of action to watch, a Friday night Boy's Night special at home), 2) Pirates of the Caribbean, 3) Muppet Treasure Island. He's almost 7 now and his opinion hasn't changed, event though we've watched them all a 100 times or more... And even though it's not piratical - A Knight's Tale - because it's funny.

-- The Captain

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny