Pirate Theme Bedroom

Cap'n Pete Straw

My 13-year-old son wants a pirate-themed bedroom. My wife and I have a lot of ideas, but have not settled on anything yet. I thought I would ask the crowd -- any input?

Please do NOT post photos, unless you think we cannot find them. Trust me, we've found plenty (As examples, I will post one or two for you to enjoy), as we have scoured the Web.

What we are looking for are good suggestions. What would YOU do? We are NOT going to replace the windows with portholes, and he still needs a bed (sorry, a hammock is impractical), but anything else is possible.

What say you?

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

Here's a couple of examples.... these first are two views (one overhead) of the same room.... note the eroded "path" actually cut into the floor with sandy footprints....

IMG_0668.jpg

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

the pics are nice, but a littel too . . . i dunno - flowery I suppose. Anyway,, I'd do something more along the lines of a captain's cabin (A la the cabin of the Black Pearl. Just watch the movie for pictures) Hang cutlasses on the walls, chests of gold loitering about, treasure maps lying around, that sort of thing.

. . . Dang, now you have me wanting to redo my room.

There's a couple more photos (thumbnails -- I cannot access the large pictures) on this page -- the best ones are the bed built into the wall as part of the wall-painted ship (with wallpaper canvas-sails hanging from the ceiling), and the one with red bedding that looks as if it's inside a cabin.

BEWARE, access to this webpage necessitates avoiding uploading Spyware, but I was able to counter it with my computer. You may wish to steer clear.

Pirate-Themed Bedrooms

BTW: Yes, we are thinking about painting parchment-colored walls and drawing pirate and other nautical maps upon them (this is almost a given at this point)... and possibly behind the "torn" parchment, a look out over the seas for ships in the distance... still working on this idea...

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

Okay, I posted this in another thread, and although dark, it is ideal for what Mercenary Wench mentioned. I thought this was an actual room, but have now learned that this is a 3-D image designed by Tony Davidson.

TD_work4.jpg

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

well...if your anything like me...an important word is budget!!!...i also am doing a pirate bedroom for myself, and this is what i've come up with.

mind you...you might have to be slightly crafty.

i bought white sheets (flat) and put in grommits at the top. i attached to a pole at top of window with sisal rope. looks very "sail-y", maybe you could also tea stain??

a captain's bed would be cool (from anywhere), must ding it up. (used look)

lantern / sconces to place on the wall.

buy lots of chests sm-med-large. ive got several sm-med decorating the top of my dressers. my wallymart has them for $5-10 each. the large one i'd place on the floor. you might even find a beatup antique chest to place at bottom of bed. (mine hold all my pirate clothes)

to fill the chest...beads of course, fake rinestones, lava rocks spray painted gold are a good filler. also, hit up your local sal. army/goodwill. you can buy silver, bronze, and gold "treasure" (plates, goblets, candlesticks) VERY cheap!

and so you're not having to fill the whole box, place something in the bottom to take up some of the room.

if he has pictures to hang up, i took several bamboo sticks and lashed together with sisal rope to make a frame. could use driftwood if you can find the right pieces.

get a book about rope knots. make knots and display on wall.

dont forget old wine/rum bottles (...and parrots & monkeys) to lay about. could also get candle and melt down to bottle. make sense?

hope this helps!

1461668bfsjvui84v.jpg

"This calls for a particularly subtle blend of psychology & extereme violence." -Vivian, The Young Ones

I painted my kitchen sky blue over the yucky plastic wall coverings. There are spaces on it for thin rope to be glued on, so the lines run ceiling to floor. It looks like wooden planking. I do know you can buy canvas wallpaper, and you might be able to make wood coverings for the windows that are round like portholes.

How about flags of sailing boats or lighthouses wallpaper and accessories? My da has lighthouse curtains and a rug for his bathroom from Target, cookie jar and towels.

Pirate Lass with sass, brass, a cutlass, an a nice *ss. Capt of the FOOLS GOLD PIRATES

BLAST BREAST CANCER! GET A MAMMOGRAM AND SAVE YOUR TREASURED CHEST:

http://www.myspace.c...iratesthinkpink

http://www.myspace.c...oolsgoldpirates

CAPT OF THE ONLY PYRITE SHIP AFLOAT: THE FOOL'S GOLD- look for us and Captain Merrydeath on facebook!

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

So many choices indeed.

Have you spoken or gotten the kid involved in this as to what look he wants most?

I've done something the same with a room I had. Where it was mostly wood panel walls.. so, I put up some wall candle holders, a couple round mirrors, a couple old desks & tables, an old chair... some fur on the tables, other items that look like my be from a pirate's treasure.. a few chests... it's just a slow process, but the walls is only a minor bit compared to what you want in the room to give it that feel.

Unless you want little in the room & just the walls done.

Explore a bit.. that be my advise.

:ph34r:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

you could get a regular ordinary frame for the bed, then go to a old shipyard and get a helmswheel for the headboard. or get a bunk bed ...have the lower for his sleep...use the top for deck...you could then attach some items so that he have a sleep space and a play space.

The lower one could have the helmswheel on the top could have things like a toy canons and such attached

A table on attached to one wall by hinges...sort of a galley table for play...inexpensive planking on the walls. lamps on the walls...etc. straw mats for rugs. a dark brown dinem (sp) bedcover, plastic skull on a shelf, as well as replicas of various types. as several already pointed out...treasure chests...maps, etc.

just some ideas off the top of my head.

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Captain of SIREN'S RESURRECTION,

Her fleet JAGUAR'S SPIRIT, ROARING LION , SEA WITCH AND RED VIXEN

For she, her captains and their crews are....

...Amazon by Blood...

...... Warrior by Nature......

............Pirate by Trade............

If'n ye hear ta Trill ye sure to know tat yer end be near...

Sorry, I could upload some pix o' me bedroom, but i don't be thinkin' a "Whips 'n' Brandin' Iron" theme be what yer boy be seekin'... :lol:

Ahhh... no.

Thank you everyone! I am hesitant to respond, for I don't want to shoot anyone down, nor limit creativity. And we are still in the planning stages, so all input is being collected.

Suffice to say, virtually every idea posted so far had SOME aspect that seems incorporat-able into the finished design ... and before anyone thinks that I am excluding PyratePhil, I must tell you that we had specifically discussed the idea of hanging a skeleton on one wall (I have a couple skeletons in storage) dressed in rags hanging from shackles (again - have several)... which IMHO is not far from PyratePhil's input. (is anyone more horrified than PPhil? You thought it was a joke, and it is in our plans!)

Was my son consulted? Extensively. He saw and vetoed/approved photos. He is an integral part of the planning process, and has gone furniture shopping (nothing "perfect" found yet).

Budget? Assume sky is the limit. We need to be reasonable, but if it works, we have the means to pull it off -- barring significant infrastructure alteration (suggest it if you must, but his two bedroom windows face out from the front of the house, and cannot detract from our "street appeal").

Regarding your ideas, keep in mind this has to be a functioning BEDROOM... He sleeps in there, has a dresser (already looking for a Victorian replacement that will look like ill-gotten swag), needs a bed (presently a bunkbed, and we have been considering a "real" bed -- but you have some real good ideas for modification, Lady Seahawke), has a TV and X-box (yes, yes, will be in an entertainment center... etc.).

KEEP THOSE IDEAS COMING! Real good input so far! Thank you everyone! I should have thought of posting this topic months ago!

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

yeah, with a bunk bed you could have a rope ladder like riggin lines...one of the tall posts could hold a flag...

If you go with the "real" you could have rope hanging from the ceiling at each corner.

according to how big the room is.

you could go and get one of those spools that they use for large wire...paint it up like a capstan...and use it for a table.

Or get a whiskey cask and use it for toys. Or you could use half barrels put a shelf in each barrel and bolt them together to use as book case or according to how big they are ...a unique entertainment center.

get some old belaying pins and hook them together and use them as a valance over the top of the window.

hardwood floors of course. hummm did I mention planking for the walls.

now if you want to put a spit of isle in there. need tall (perhaps) fake trees...and I could suggest some rough stones on the walls perhaps as coral or a cliff...would have. hummm..I could give ya what you may think as some far out ideas here.. such as a waterfall...from the top of the ceiling with a little pond...with fishes...ok, must have BIG ROOM... :lol:

actually not as big as you might think...done it...and can be really great...best done in the corner...unique and attractive. sorry, don't have a digital camera.

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

...Amazon by Blood...

... (is anyone more horrified than PPhil? You thought it was a joke, and it is in our plans!)...

!

YUUSSSSS!!!

(Phil does little pyratey victory dance)

...but who said I were jokin'??? :lol:

As Lady Seahawke mentioned - a desk - don't fergit a desk - necessary fer playin' those RPG's an' such...an' the occasional homework thingie...

...Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum...

~ Vegetius

For anyone else considering this sort of decor... There is a surfeit of nautical decor available at local Hobby Lobby, Michaels, and TJ Maxx stores (I am not sure how nationwide these chains are, but I have seen them at other stores which carry interior decorations).

I personally love the life preserver (Hobby Lobby) which has a clock in the center, with different knots representing the hours. Sounds tacky, I know, but the thing was made quite well, and did not LOOK tacky. But too nautical, less pirate.

My son picked out for his room a mirror (TJ Maxx), mounted within a shadow box, which has a miniature multi-masted ship and some of the aforementioned knots. A little more pyratical, and now he has a mirror. Tasteful brass ornamentaion on the walnut frame, and it looks really nice.

I, of course, picked myself up a nice little functional brass Bring'em Near (spyglass), which is sitting in my sea chest next to my brass sextant and brass compass... I'm thinking of building a nice display box for the set to keep in my yet-to-be-themed office. (Now my son has his eye on my old leather/brass spyglass. And NO ONE touches my original 19th century nautical 'glass!)

...But these nautical decor "lines" also carry several ship's wheels... ranging from small (perhaps 15" across) to larger (maybe 20") to gynormous (3 feet? Was it larger?). When I saw this, I recalled Lady Seahawke's bunk bed idea, and attach a (gynormous) ship's wheel to the end... hmmm... Perhaps with one of the aforementioned skeletons lashed to it (Uh oh, we are branching into Dracula lore...) But I need a decorative bed more than a playset (he'd rather play Halo 2).

Although completely impractical, can you imagine a huge utility chain rigged from the top corner of his bunkbed, stretching across the room, attached to a heavy anchor embedded into the floor? (even cooler with blue carpeting!). But that's not going to happen. Still... an anchor...

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Cap'n Seahawk- ye be having exceptionally great ideas. I be liking especially the rope ladder for the bunk bed, and havin' half the bunkbed as a playplace. Thank ye all for yer great ideas. And I have already thought of fake palm trees. I really want either a deserted island type room or a cap'ns quarters room, so all yer ideas fall right in to what I was hoping me room would be like... ;)

Kmart here has a couple pirate posters... which I had to get for myself... on of a skull & crossed cutlasses with "Dead Men Tell No Tales".. & the other is a wicked looking skeletal pirate captain with a crow on his shoulder, a ghost ship & crew. Aye, there are some PotC posters: 1 of Will, 2 of Jack. But those other posters... I just adore! Hanging onto them until the day I can frame them properly! :)

;)

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

• 2 weeks later...

HAH! VICTORY! I picked up the "Dead Men Tell No Tales" poster, but it was at a "Poster Plus" store that was going out of buisness. $3.99, with the 60% off sale... that would be.... A Dollar Sixty! Yeah!

Also picked up a $7.99 PotC movie poster at 20% off. You do the math... my head hurts.

And two Orlando Bloom Legolas posters for my daughter (also at the sale $1.60 each)... but I'll find a LotR chat area to brag about those. Uh, no. I won't.

But thanks for the tip ... I wouldn't have even thought about looking for the poster -- or any pirate poster, actually ... if you hadn't mentioned that.

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

You have gotten some great ideas here, and you're on your way to a really cool bedroom.

I want to do my own room as captain's cabin, my plans are to replace flooring and walls with dark wooden planks, add chunky victorian furniture, I like the idea of Satin Sheets (more of that ill-gotten swag) but your son might not like that.

A nice old world map would look wonderful in such a room, and antique world globes (educational as well). Will there be a ceiling fan? I've seen some with what looks like basket weave bamboo or palm fronds. You can always paint or decopage piratey stuff on plain fan blades as well. What about a window covering? The jolly roger of course. :) You could wainscoat around the walls to look like a ship's railing, and to go all out, add a mast somewhere that doubles as a coat and backpack rack.

For some neat lighting... Run a shelf around the top of the room, say 12 to 15 inches from the ceiling, and at the top rear of that, run rope lights. You can't see the lights, just the dim glow. And the shelving comes in handy for collectibles and storage.

When all is said and done, do post pics!

Fancy

Bear with me...these pictures are old, and from different 'stages'....but perhaps they can give you a few ideas. I really wanted beams on the ceiling, with gratings in the center and lights behind them, and have the walls 'paneled' to look like the interior of a ship..but I'm lucky if I get hubby just to paint the room!

Keep in mind that nothing in this room is expensive. The two wall 'cabinets; were cheap finds in a second-hand store (one is a spice cabinet), the barrels I got fairly reasonable at 'antique' shops, the model is a cheapy - nothing is really 'antique'...but when you stick a bunch of old, dusty stuff together, it kinda works. Blocks and rope are fairly cheap and easy to buy, pewter can often be found REALLY cheap since it's not very popular right now (I look for Early American bicentennial-fad rejects), fake coins, cheap costume jewelry in a rustic chest, wood bowls from a flea market...just collect stuff as you go. View the room as a work in progress, and just pick up things that give the 'illusion' of age, even though they are not old.

EDIT: The bed is a captain's bed - a twin size. My hubby fits in it and he's 5'11". The 'shrouds' I bought for about $8 at an 'import' store, and some items are from Authentic Models.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/dasN...ger/shiprm1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/dasN...er/shiprm21.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/dasN...er/captdesk.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/dasN...ger/shiprm3.jpg

das

We were just brainstorming ideas for some of our piratical classes and events at our business- one idea we came up with was to have a knot class. Think cute pirate teaching the course on knots. (Just what every good pirate woman or person should know - right) Mad Molly MacGuire pipes in that she was willing to be the one tied up. :rolleyes:

Arrgh! I think PyratePhil just may be the mate for the job.

How old is your son?

I think it's bad feng shui to place a dead shackled pirate just anywhere in the room. Maybe outside the door entry - with a sign posted BEWARE - or something piratey - to ward off any bad energy - think Gargoyles. But don't place the dead pirate near his bed...

I thought it would be fun to do skeleton outside window - but I see that he has front facing windows - arrgh!

For a well balanced room: Be sure to include all the elements - fire, water, earth, air. Stimulate all the senses - touch, smell, sight, sound & taste - if you don't have any - hire a decorator! ;)

It's a Pirate's Life for Me!

mermaidpirate.jpg

I think it's bad feng shui to place a dead shackled pirate just anywhere in the room.

:rolleyes:

That has got to be the funniest sentence I think I have ever read. I'll suggest to my son (13) to add it to his signature line.

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

now if'n yer lad be just a bit younger I would have suggested tak'n ta theme out in yer back...

such as a tetter totter in the shape of a anchor...a merry-go-round in the shape of a capstan, a tree house in the shape of mast and crow's nest...etc. :rolleyes:

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

...Amazon by Blood...