Boots...

Ebay.. man I ain't kidding.. look under Renaissance boots. We found a pair that fits my husband, and he's a size 14, that are bucket tops, and they were only $50, real leather!! Good luck, laddie!

"You have a woman's skin, m'lord! I'll wager that hides never been rubbed with salt and flayed off to make stockin's for a pirates best cabin boy!"

• 2 weeks later...

Ahoy Captain Cronus!

Good boots can sometimes pop out of the woodwork if ye know where t' be lookin'. Rummage Sales, Garage Sales, or even second hand stores may fetch ye the perfect pair. Be sure to consider what an old boot would look like with the top o' 'em bucketed over.

Myself I found the perfect size, true leather ladies boots passin' by a sale, way back in a corner o' the Pike Place Market, for just 3 American Dollars. Yhar... a pyrate lass loves a deal, she does. :ph34r:

If you're not the searchin' an' Rumaging type, try http://www.renboots.com/

Yhar... thar be me first post. :)

Good Plunderin'!

~Dreamie~

"Ah, the city.. with all it's people and their accumulated wealth, yes?"

-Yoshimo

www.Dreamie.org

LilJackban.gif

Captain Cronus,

Set a course for www.scaboots.com. They have 3 styles of cuffed "piraty" boots for blokes and one style for wenches. Sail on over and check 'em out. Best of all, their boots are all under $100 so you'll still have plunder aplenty left for carousin' and debauchery.

Here's luck,

"Broadside" Long

1st Mate,

Cutlass Supreme

Every normal person must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats! - Lucanus

Also check out the Ebay store Stella's Sexy Stuff. True, the name sounds quite frightening, but they do have knee-high and thigh-high (low-heel) boots for under $50. Shipping is about $9 on most boots, but I have a pair that are almost exactly like them, and they're great.

However, according to Claire/Poison Quill/TalesOfTheSevenSeas, they aren't the best for those who need special quality shoes for medical/health reasons. That would understandably require a more costly shoe/boot, and rightfully so, since all piggies are precious and deserve love.

My thigh-high boots are quite comfy, and pretty wide, for a standard size. They come up to about mid-thigh, and can be folded down a bit, because the insides of the tops are lined in the same type of leather. Now, granted, it's not that nice, shiny, hard leather like some military boots are. The leather is quite soft. But, I didn't have to break them in before I wore them to the Renaissance Festival and tromped around all day in loose gravel.

I am trying to find a boot suitable for Bob the Swab. He wears about a size 12W. I believe that he would be better suited in knee-high boots. That way, he could still wear them for everyday purposes underneath his pants. Thigh high boots on a man when he's not a pirate or a stripper might look a little odd. Remember your budget and your reasons for purchasing boots when you get 'em.

Kick it up!

:ph34r:

Capt. WE Roberts

"I shall uphold my indignity with the utmost dignity befitting a person of my undignified station."

Oh, and Captain Cronus, those boots that are at the ebay link you listed...they remind me of the boots that Brendan Fraser wore in "The Mummy." I believe they might be a little WWI for the piratey era. But, hey...if you like 'em, get 'em.

Remember...pirates were mean SOB's who didn't care about fashion. However, if you want to stay in the era (1700's), keep checking. I don't believe those lace-up boots are quite the style. But they do look really cool. :ph34r:

:ph34r:

Capt. WE Roberts

"I shall uphold my indignity with the utmost dignity befitting a person of my undignified station."

Good to hear you found some boots, mate! For those still shopping, a good pair of boots will last along time - I've had my main pair now for 20 years. A simple pair of Wellingtons with cuffs I added me'self. Another option often overlooked is a good pair of buckled shoes. The shoes aren't as important as an impressive set of buckles. I converted a pair of slip ons with squared toes I found for a couple bucks at a thrift store. Added some antique buckles and voila! a nice set of shoes that look great with knee socks. And it gives you an entirely different look from the "bootineers".

And one can't have too many sets of footwear. A couple sets of boots (brown, black), a good set of period looking sandals, a pair of shoes - you can mix it up better depending upon the outfit.

And Dreamie is so correct, look around and you'll be surprised what you find at a very good price in the unlikeliest places. The only bad part is the flood of Halloween pirates out shopping now - thanks POTC!!!

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

www.renboots.com is where I got me knee boots. They are great and only $115 with shipping and thay arrived with in a week.

I got the Prince John's. I liked them a) for the price and :ph34r: because they can be used for a variety of eras and costumes,,,from medieval to pirates to the matrix. Great service and great prices.

I will be checking out e-bay tho for a pair of Thigh High? Muscketeer type boots.