Belts and attachments. Assistance.

I found most of my belts at the local Salvation Army thrift store. 10 cents each, and because they're hand-me-downs, they usually have that weathered look to the leather and the buckle. You'd have to hunt through the selection, but it's worth the time.

Mad Kestrel

Privateer #9, IFoRP

Captain of the Thanos (Fairhaven, CRF)

But why is the rum gone? - Capt Jack Sparrow

:D Since ye be stationed somewhere, mate, stick to ebay, mostly in the Militaria stuff. Belts, frogs, sword frogs, it's all there. Or, be a pirate. Surely there's a marine stationed around there. There's your belt, now on with the rest. Wait for a color guard, and there's ye'r sword frog, then........ :D

Tandy leather has an assortment of belt blanks as well as a large variety of buckles. You can easily build a really nice belt for about 20 bucks. As far as making a hanger for your mug; heres what we did. Got a strong piece of old leather and cut it into a half inch wide by about four to five inches long. Attatch a snap top on each end and the snap bottom attatches as close to the middle as you can put it so that it will snap over your belt and then have a separate snap for your mug. Total cost, about one dollar. You can see an example of what I'm talking about for sale in Renaissance Catalog....... Flint

I found a non-authentic buckle that I couldn't resist today... Silver scull and crossed swords, like on Jack Rackham's flag. Not quite sure what I'm gonna do with it yet as I already have a more authentic belt already, but I couldn't resist it!

-Claire "Poison Quill" Warren

Pyrate Mum of Tales of the Seven Seas

www.talesofthesevenseas.com

Cronus-

Depends on whethert you want "historicall acurate"

or to step into the realm of fantasy. Historically speaking

a sash was generally worn as a mark of rank or some sort

of distinction. Belts as we think of them today, were not a

very popular fashion item. Belts were reserved for a more

utilitarian purpose, ie: a sword belt.

The wearing of a belt and a sash together would be sort

of of like wearing suspenders and a belt today. Not saying

it wasn't done, just wasn't right :(

I'm sure sashes were popular with "pirates" of the day

simply because of their colorful nature, but remember

that these guys (and gals) were generally able bodied

seamen, and any extra bits hangin' round yer feet & waist

would be apt ta get ya frigged in the riggin'!

Cheers!

Redhand

:ph34r:

I've worn both belt and sash around my waist. Makes for more colorful pirate, though it of couse isn't quite historically correct (was I ever a correct pirate? Naw)

However, many pirates did have some sort of sash over their heads, around their necks (hence the coming of the wild west) for instant quick ties, sweat and gags for prisioners.

RumbaRue

**In the beginning there was nothing, then it exploded** :ph34r:

Captain Rob, I have the perfect place for you to look

http://www.renstore.com

It's the main site for Chivalry Sports. I know they have "tankard straps" made especially for...what it says it is. I think they will fit up to a 3" belt.

:ph34r:

Capt. WE Roberts

"I shall uphold my indignity with the utmost dignity befitting a person of my undignified station."

I love the look of a pirate wench with plenty of heavy artillery strapped to her hips!!!! So I have all of the following on my belt:

A leather sword hanger containing a naval cutlass

A leather loop holster containing my Queen Anne flintlock

An authentic 18th century large pewter tankard

A leather belt pouch for kid's treasure coins and my business cards

A leather cat-o-nine tails

A pair of period wrist shackles

An old-style brass compass

All approximate period items, but I have one teeeeeeny little indulgence...

A 3" tall, miniature wooden whiskey keg that opens up like the pirate's version of the Faberge egg, to reveal tiny whiskey bottles and drinking vessels inside!! Authentic or no, I ain't partin' ways with me dear li'l whisky keg!!

-Claire "Poison Quill" Warren

Pyrate Mum of Tales of the Seven Seas

www.talesofthesevenseas.com

A 3" tall, miniature wooden whiskey keg that opens up like the pirate's version of the Faberge egg, to reveal tiny whiskey bottles and drinking vessels inside!! Authentic or no, I ain't partin' ways with me dear li'l whisky keg!!

where did you pick up such an unusual treasure?

Capt Weaver

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned. A man in jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company. "

Dr. Samuel Johnson

Capt Weaver's Pirate Perversions

If you're looking for custom belts or other leather goods, I highly recommend http://jekylthehidesmith.com/ - he made a double wrap belt for me last year and it was first class. Great communication, top workmanship. Going back for another belt soon.

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

oh Claire!

that is just adorable!

don't part with that one for nothing.

it's a lovely little treasure

Capt Weaver

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned. A man in jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company. "

Dr. Samuel Johnson

Capt Weaver's Pirate Perversions