Branding

I know that in France they used to brand thieves with a letter "V" on the forearm. The V stood for voleur, the French word for theif. Children caught stealing would get off "lightly" with this punishment for a first offense. On the second offense they would lose their hand.

I noted that in Pirates of the Caribbean, Johnny Depp was branded with a letter P for pirate on his forearm and that this was supposedly done by the East India Company. Is there any basis for this in history?

-Claire "Poison Quill" Warren

Pyrate Mum of Tales of the Seven Seas

www.talesofthesevenseas.com

While it is true, that most men convicted of piracy were hanged; there were many instances where thier sentences were commuted. There is also historical record of branding being used for convicted pirates that were not given the death sentence. It is in fact true that a "P" brand would be applied for all the world to see that they were dealing with a pirate. Many pirates were sent in chains to be used as forced labor on ships or in various prison plantations. (for lack of a better description) The idea of a brand was also used in some cases, in case the prisoner were to escape. This way the pirate was marked and more easily recognized for re-capture.. I'll try to remember to look up the books later that document this and post them for all of you........ The Capt.

:P Well, I run it inta the 'fridge one nite, and it still wasn't red, but I'll try ye'r advice when opportunity presents herself..... :P P.S. in the tat thread, ye can see a rendition of said-poker/and the heart break after in my shoulder...devil's in the details...Pyrate Queens hand rests on dagger...check out the pommel...is it me poker, or me broken heart?

• 2 weeks later...