cutlass. I'm seein alot o these costuming type swords, but

I'm told they get worn very quickly if using them in staged

combat. I'm shoppin around so I'm lookin for the best price

I can get. Anyone know of such things?

Fair winds to ye,

Black Davy Irons

B)

BDI:

Ahoy there! I believe that the No Quarter Given website has a whole slew of great smugglers listed on the main webpage. Also, give the Brethren of the Coast website a holler. There are plenty (and I mean PLENTY) of great links there. Check in with the "big boys" at one of the other weapons posts on this board. I believe one is called "Weapons/cannonades--Things that go bang in the night?" I also believe that our good Captain Flint might know where you could purchase such a cutlass/sword. Check with him or even one of the regular reinactors: Cascabel, Braze (Aseem), Ravan or some of the others. Cascabel, Braze and Ravan are at The Tortuga Mutineers website. I think it's http://www.thetortugamutineers.com, but I'm not totally sure.

Anyway, a good reinactor will tell you what swords can hold up against a hack or two, and which ones to leave at the store.

Good hunting,

:(

Capt. WE Roberts

"I shall uphold my indignity with the utmost dignity befitting a person of my undignified station."

BlackDavyIrons,

Check out the topic "Pirate Swords" in this Plunder forum..it's a few pages back. Lots o' details about swords and cutlasses.

Black Pearl

"An apt and true reply was given to Alexander the Great by a pirate who had been seized. For when that king had asked the man what he meant by keeping hostile possession of the sea, he answered with bold pride. 'What thou meanest by seizing the whole earth; but because I do it with a petty ship, I am called a robber, whilst thou who dost it with a great fleet art styled emperor." Saint Augustine

• 5 weeks later...

Might I recomend Loyalist Arms I have beeb performing live shows for many years and just aquired two new cutlasses from them. Carbon steel. Blunted edges and full tanged.

--------------

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty well preserved piece without an even a kiss your hand, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, smelling of powder, shouting ARRRG!!"

sig1.jpg

Black Deacon,

I be a wantin' to purchase a couple o' the Loyalist Arms cutlasses but was a waitin' to hear from someone on whether they will hold up to stage combat. Our previous discussions in a topic forum ages ago had a couple o' pyrates buying some but n'er did hear word on stage worthiness (unless I be too blind or drunk to see the answer). When I mean stage worthiness, I mean the day in/day out "real" use hack & slash. No wall hangers. Full tang a must. Handle secure. You understand, mate, since you have a stage show.

Ye word to experience using these be greatly appreciated. :blink:

Black Pearl

"An apt and true reply was given to Alexander the Great by a pirate who had been seized. For when that king had asked the man what he meant by keeping hostile possession of the sea, he answered with bold pride. 'What thou meanest by seizing the whole earth; but because I do it with a petty ship, I am called a robber, whilst thou who dost it with a great fleet art styled emperor." Saint Augustine

Black Deacon,

I be a wantin' to purchase a couple o' the Loyalist Arms cutlasses but was a waitin' to hear from someone on whether they will hold up to stage combat. Our previous discussions in a topic forum ages ago had a couple o' pyrates buying some but n'er did hear word on stage worthiness (unless I be too blind or drunk to see the answer). When I mean stage worthiness, I mean the day in/day out "real" use hack & slash. No wall hangers. Full tang a must. Handle secure. You understand, mate, since you have a stage show.

Ye word to experience using these be greatly appreciated. :blink:

I did 3 weeks of rehearsals and 4 shows a day for two days with them two weeks ago. The "Cup" Is a little thin but not horrible. The blades are primo. I lucked out and got two mis-stamped with scabbards for $75 a piece. I've had nothing but good luck with loyalist. Only draw back in they don't take credit cards. I've been trying to get them to set up PayPal. Check out there accessories on the sectants and telescopes. I'm jonesing for their Blunderbuss but the chest is running low on ducatts at the moment.

--------------

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty well preserved piece without an even a kiss your hand, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, smelling of powder, shouting ARRRG!!"

sig1.jpg

I be a wantin' to purchase a couple o' the Loyalist Arms cutlasses but was a waitin' to hear from someone on whether they will hold up to stage combat. :

Pearl,

Have ye checked out the Lundegaard armoury?

90% of m'own stage and TV use weaponry comes from them. And they are lovely to look at as well as sturdy. I use mine almost to death and I've only had to have one repaired (through no fault of it's own) and the repair of course was at no cost including shipping!

Anyways... just one more option lass :blink:

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Have ye checked out the Lundegaard armoury?

Mmmm... Lars-pretties..

One of these days I WILL have one of his sharp pointies. I don't know when...but someday.

I keep having to remind myself that fully equipping myself will take time and moolah...

Yie..

"Don't hate me because I'm beautiful. Hate me because I am robbing you, tossing you overboard, and stealing your ship!"

-the only thing more dangerous than her.. is her needle-

Ahoy!

I'm lookin for a thatrical and coreographed fighting worthy

cutlass. I'm seein alot o these costuming type swords, but

I'm told they get worn very quickly if using them in staged

combat. I'm shoppin around so I'm lookin for the best price

I can get. Anyone know of such things?

Fair winds to ye,

Black Davy Irons

B)

I'm not sure what your needs are, Black Davy, but if this is for serious theatrical use, you might want to consider a high-grade aluminum bladed sword of the sort made by David Baker or Tony Swatton. (Thanks to "The Touring Gentleman" for reminding me where the latter site lay.)

I'm not in the "biz", but I'm "virtually" well aquainted with some folks who are, and they maintain that aluminum (were talking very high-grade aluminum used in the aerospace industry) offers significant advantages over steel for theatrical fighting.

Both of these men have made swords for some major productions (Swatton did POTC, and the upcoming M&C/FSOTW).

These will cost significantly more than a costume sword, but less than many really good steel reproductions (I'm thinking of some of the prices I've seen for Baker's work here--don't think I've ever seen Swatton's.)