lookin for some good movie tonight?

Mary Sue Phonix

I want to find some entertaining, historical movies mostly ones on like European histroy kind of stuff such as : A Knight's Tale, The girl With the Peal Earring (I am guessing more on that tile), Ever After etc..

Pretty recent films I am welling to go 30-20 years back, but I would like to find some pretty recent stuff but if its like 20 to 30 years old then that seriously would not bother me that much. I just want to find some nice entertaining films that will be fun to watch bu they give good ideas of how life was like in that peroid of time. (I might be interested in seeing the old Romeo and Juilet lol for those of you that are older then me...I believe it was made back in the 1970's) I am not going to be to picky on just what time peroids..I will go as far from The Dark Ages-- Shakesperian(if that is spelled I wrong I appulagize bad speller) I think as long as the time peroid is before the 1800's I think that is probaly what I am going for. I really just am looking for a nice big list to go off of... so that next time I am going out to rent a movie I can find somthing good to watch. I love historical time peroid kinds of films...lol I really am interested in seeing that new Vanity Fair that just came out not that long ago.

Main reason I want to do this is mostly for enjoyment I really like films like that. But I also notice that if it is not a totaly fantasy film...you can lean a lot about the time period and how people dressed, what they ate, basically how life was like if the movie has a realistic plot to it.

Thanks, Sarah

Ok... though some of this might be a little late for your tastes...

The Duelists (Napoleonics, but a very, very cool film!)

Brotherhood of the Wolf (mid 1700s, neat stuff, but be prepared to suspend your disbelief)

Three Musketeers

Four Musketeers (two all-around classics)

The Bounty (tropical islands, a mutiny, what more can you ask for)

Barry Lyndon (not a very happy film but nice to look at!)

Dangerous Liaisons (superb!)

Last of the Mohicans (again, this one is really, really good)

Black Robe (I thought it was slow, but it is interesting)

When I think of more I'll post them, though I suspect the group will cover those I missed.

Doh! How could I forget Shakespeare in Love!!!

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

OK, my list:

Henry V- the Branagh version- Shakespeare and Branagh- can't go wrong.

Druids- a little known Chris Lambert film biography of Vercingetorix

Treasure Island- the Turner version with Charlton Heston

Return of the Musketeers- Same crew as the 3 and 4 but made 20 years later

The Man in the Iron Mask- watch it for Depardeau and try to ignore deCaprio

Restoration- great costume drama

The Wicked Lady- restoration highwaywoman- Deanna Troy's nude scene :D

There's a start, more later.

Hawkyns

:lol:

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

The Man in the Iron Mask- watch it for Depardeau and try to ignore deCaprio

ALL the actors playing the Musketeers -- Depardeau, Byrne, Irons, and Malkoveich -- are fantastic. Leo even does a great job. (I really don't like Leonardo DiCaprio, but there's no denying that he's a good actor.) Unfortunately, the script leaves something to be desired; it's heavily melodramatic and a bit unlikely (to say the least). Nonetheless, the fabulous costumes and amazing acting mostly makes up for it, so give it a whirl.

Also fun:

The Three Musketeers - the Disney version with Charlie Sheen, Kiefer Sutherland, Oliver Platt, and Chris O'Donnell. It's just an all-around FUN movie, and Tim Curry is quite entertaining

The Mask of Zorro - a bit silly in some places (not unlike The Three Musketeers), but still a fun view

The Count of Monte Cristo - with James Caviezel. Über-spectacular (makes me want to rent it and watch it sometime soon)

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (watch it for Alan Rickman's wondrous performance)

There are other fun movies that are medieval in feel, but are definitely fantasy movies as well: The Princess Bride (hilarious -- and featuring a pirate, to boot!), Merlin (the miniseries with Sam Neill; make sure you watch the uncut DVD version and not the single-cassette video version, though), Dragonheart (absolutely outstanding special effects and superb acting except for Dina Meyer, but it's unfortunately hampered by a very butchered script) ...

"Pirates ... were of that old breed of rover whose port lay always a little farther on, a little beyond the skyline ... if they lived riotously let it be urged in their favor that at least they lived."

~ John Masefield

Those who live by the sword, get shot instead.

captainjackisback.jpg

Guest Barbette

Excalibur - One of the best tales of King Arthur, IMHO

Master and Commander - Napolionic Royal Navy

Lady Jane - with Helena Bonham Carter

Glory - American Civil War (I know you said European, but this is an awesome movie)

Vatel (a movie with George Depardieu about a perfectionist chef during Louis IV)

Amadeus (about Mozart)

Tom Jones (the 1962 version with Albert Finney. Oh that eating scene!)

Babette's Feast (while not about history it's a great window into mid-19th c. Denmark and haute cusine)

Billy Budd (1962 Based on the novel by Melville and up to M & C IMO the best decpiction of life on the RN)

Valmont (Colin Firth in the title role yummy!)

Desiree (abour a sweetheart of Bonaparte)

For laughs:

Monty Python & the Holy Grail (Terry Jones who co-wrote and directed is a Medieval scholar with a degree from Oxford)

All the Black Adder series I II II IV & V (I have it at home. :) )

Edited by Red Maria

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

OMG! :lol: I almost forgot Jane Austen!

Sense & Sensability (great adaptation by Emma Thompson who gave a smashing performance along with Alan Rickman, Kate Winslet, & Hugh Grant)

Mansfield Park (underated adaption)

Pride & Predjudice (mini-series but out on DVD)

Persuasion

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

Aye BlackJohn once again we share a similar taste in films...I love Brotherhood of the Wolf. It has it's flaws, but is such an original premise that it gets big points from me.

I'd also suggest From Hell if you are into Jack The Ripper lore.

The Bounty is excellent...

The Remains of the Day is also EXCELLENT, albeit WW2 era....

The Sea Hawk and/or Captain Blood of course...

Errol Flynn's Robin Hood...

Excalibur...still the best King Arthur film...

but for the absolute best, rent A&E's Horatio Hornblower movies. There are (I think) 8 of them now and they are just stellar.

Gangs of New York is very cool...

If you are feeling Civil War-ish get Gettysburg.

I could go on and on.

newbannersigtar0db.gif

I just saw Rob Roy .... it fudges the documented history, and has some melodramatic scenes, but I think it portrays a dirty and lusty 18th century and Tim Roth has some brilliant lines.

"Surely you can find an old crone to rout it out with a twig?"

"Love is but a dunghill, and I am but a cock that perches upon it to crow."

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Also try Plunkett & McCleane...starring Johnny Lee Miller

and Robert Carlisle...story of two real highwaymen in 1740's

England, fantastic costuming (mostly) and a great feel for

London of the period. Geared towards the MTV crowd

with humor & anachronistic references.

Also try and lay hands on the BBC production

of Moll Flanders (NOT that abysmal hollywood production)

It's a bit bawdy, but well acted and the costumes and

feel for the time period (1680-1700) is fantastic!!

Both of these productions have a great sense of

"Hogarthian" England. Hogarth was a artist and social

comentator of his time, 1740-1770's England.

Cheers

Redhand

Thank you so much for all the advise guys. I have some idea of other movies I wanted to check out. But I wanted to see if anyone from here had seen them yet, and if so could give some advise on if they should be viewed or not.

I am thinking of checking out 1492, and the new Vanity Fair (that is if its on vedio yet.) I have heard good things about both films but to be truthfully honest I really don't know that much on just what the movies really are on.

• 4 years later...

I watched the Gregory Peck Horatio Hornblower movie last night and I noticed that they got a lot of details right in that one, based on the stuff I've read. Plus it's a pretty decent movie. (Although, if the crew had scurvy after being at sea for seven months as the surgeon reported, they would never look as good as that crew did. But it was made in the early 50s and as far as period correctness, it stands head and shoulders above many of the other movies from this period.)

I just may have to check out the TV series. (Is it as good as the Sharpe TV series? I loved that one.)

Edited by Raphael Misson

“We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” –Carlos Casteneda

"Man is free at the moment he wishes to be." — Voltaire

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

There are some wonderful foreign films, especially if you can deal with subtitles:

--The Return of Martin Guerre

--Cyrano de Bergerac (the Gerard Depardieu version is my favorite)

--Revenge of the Musketeers (with the luscious Sophie Marceau)

--Queen Margot (with the EVEN MORE luscious Isabelle Adjani)

And a few in English:

--The Advocate (where else can you see a pig on trial for murder?)

--The Harlot's Progress ( a recent British TV movie)

Red Sea Trade

In days of old when ships were bold just like the men that sailed 'em,

and if they showed us disrespect we tied 'em up and flailed 'em,

often men of low degree and often men of steel,

they'd make you walk the plank alone or haul you 'round the keel.

--Adam and the Ants

Well, you can get the whole series for about $24 on Amazon new & used, so what the heck. That's a lot of hours of Napoleonic period entertainment....I just hope it's as good as the Sharpe's series. (Which runs you $300 on Amazon n&u.)

Say, I see the Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes series is now clocking in at $110! That's about half what it was last year. I know what I want for Christmas this year...

Edited by Raphael Misson

“We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” –Carlos Casteneda

"Man is free at the moment he wishes to be." — Voltaire

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

I second the Sharpe series!

Anyone mention Dangerous Beauty?

OOOOHH I liked it. It was cute. I found it accidentally on Netflix instant whatever...

What about Tristan and Isolde? sad... but good

in the not so historical, but entertaining is "Casanova"

I'm watching Cold Mountain right now, if anyone is interested in Civil War... Has some issues, and it doesn't follow the book but.... It's still pretty enjoyable.

The Other Bolyn Girl is entertaining enough after you get over the fact that it is NOTHING like the book....

I can't think of my other "go to" movies that I put on when I'm sewing.

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle

Hm...

How about Master and Commander, the entire Hornblower series from A&E and as mentioned above, Rob Roy which takes place at the end of Queen Anne's reign and has a background based on the Jacobite leanings of the Sottish Highlanders.

JoePyratA.gif

• The Charles Towne Few - We shall sail... The sea will be our empire.

If you can find it, cuz its been discontinued, the Jonathan Miller production of Beggars Opera (1984), with Roger Daltry as a very good Captain Macheath. There's some great music in this, my fave being (as it should be for all gentlemen of fortune) "Since Laws Were Made for Ev'ry Degree"

Amazon has it here: http://www.amazon.com/John-Gay-Jonathan-Gardiner-Soloists/dp/B00004Y7I5/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1248964263&sr=8-6

Damn, thats sharp!

Brotherhood of the Wolf (mid 1700s, neat stuff, but be prepared to suspend your disbelief)

seriously... come on, it's Don "The Iron Chef Dragon" Wilson. It's a Kung Fu movie thinly disguised as a European period piece. In spite of that... I completely enjoyed it ^^

gallery_10737_100_5347.gif

Time flies when you're having rum

Anyone Mention Sleepy Hallow yet?

Oh, and some Mini Series that I like, courtesy of Sci-Fi (or now, "Sy fy" how ridiculous...) Dark Kingdom: rise of the dragon King, and Legend of Earthsea (based on the book(s) by Ursula LeGuin)

Four Feathers is another good one, though it is, of course, later...

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle

If you can find it, check out "Damn the Defiant." Excellent British navy film.

"In the end, it's not the gold that sets our sails,

'Tis freedom and the promise of a better life

That raises our black flags."