trowsers

Methinks she should change her name to

"Lucy Cannon"

What say, eh Patrick?

Sir Nigel - aka "Sir Freelancealot"; aka "Ace of Cads"; aka "JACKPOT!!" (cha-CHING!)

"Mojitos BAD!...Lesbians with free rum GOOD!!!"

I cannot answer, with any degree of expertise, what pirate reenactors wear for leg coverings, as this needs to be answered by more seasoned pirate reeanctors. But the term "Pirate" means "one who plunders the seas" and, as such, represents people from prehistoric times to present day.

...Therefore, leg wear is/was dictated by the customs of the time (AND geographical location!). Most of the "Pirates" these days (and please correct me if I am wrong) are striving to recreate the "High Wave" of piracy which largely surrounds the 1700s (of course, there were significant Big-Name Pirates in the 1600s, and the "problem" continued well into the 1800s -- don't even bring up Confederate Blockade Running of the 1860s).

One of the best boks I have in my collection is "A History of Costume" (by Kohler; Dover Press; ISBN 0-486-21030-8; 1963), a beautifully researched study into clothing through the ages, complete with pattern drawn from dissected originals.

Men's hose was in vogue until the Sixteenth century -- when the reign of Charles IX (1560-74) largely changed the fashion of the times. Long hose (bas-de-chausses) retained its earlier form, but breeches became stylish as slashed outer breeches (trousses), then widened into tonnelets, and then into "trousers" by lengthening to the knees or lower and omission of the slashes.

"At first these trousers were of the same width all the way down, and were merely gathered at the foot. But ere very long they were made tighter at the knees. This change was accompanied by the disappearance of the padded front flap. Its place was taken by a slit arranged for buttoning."

-- must now put up Christmas lights outside and increase credit limit for Xmas shopping to be done later this afternoon... I can add to this later (going into the 1700s, if needed), if you are interested....

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

awwwwwh... but Capt. Pete.... that is the style of "landsmen" not sailors (who pyrates develope from).... so it get much trickier than that.........

I have two pair of breaches..... both with the "baggy butt" that is period..... one pair is(are?) slightly tight (well not tight, but stove pipe.....) the other pair are pettiecoat breaches........ with the pettycoat breaches.... dang.... I can scratch anyplace on my body that might have an itch...... <_<