Sea coats

Rumba Rue

Quick hint:

If you have a real good thrift store around check out the mens coat section. I have found 4 coats now that could easily double as Capt. coats, perfect length, and by simply adding a cuff you've got yourself a fine coat! All the coats I saw were running about $20.00 each. Look for the long coats in either men's or women's section.

*I would have bought the coats, but none fit me.

Rumba Rue

**Always try to be of help** :lol:

RhumbaRue...he he he..that's what I did....I originally sewed some gold trim on it...but am now in the process of removing it and sewing some more authentic gold trim on it (antique gold 2 inches wide). Mine is a burgandy velvet

~~~~Sailing Westward Bound~~~~

Lady Alyx

bateau-sailor-jerry-tatouage.jpg

I know this is a pretty "newbie" question, but I'm trying to be a Pirate for Halloween (based off Jack Sparrow, but not necessarily excactly the same) and I was wondering what "type" of coat I should be looking for at thrift stores etc. What I mean is, I'm not entire sure what would pass well for a coat a pirate might wear.

I know this is a pretty "newbie" question, but I'm trying to be a Pirate for Halloween (based off Jack Sparrow, but not necessarily excactly the same) and I was wondering what "type" of coat I should be looking for at thrift stores etc. What I mean is, I'm not entire sure what would pass well forĀ  a coat a pirate might wear.

Aye.....Might have what ye be lookin' fer right here mate!

(search through a couple a pages...ye be findin' it)

It'll at least give ye an idea of what ta do.

PIRATE PLAQUES AND STUFF

BLACK SKOT ---(BLACKIE)

"Quarter" Master

Pyrates of the Coast

"Permit me aboard and I'll be takin' over yer ship...

Don't permit me aboard and I'll still take over yer ship"

Ehhh... a little on the pricey side, but it's good to know there's a store like this in my region! I never would have figured it, so thanks alot. :)

Aaaah, grasshopper... :) As you sail the seas of piratical procurement, batten the hatches, for you've some suprising weather ahead, especially in 'weaponry'........enjoy

...I believe this thread's been hijacked, best put it back to 'sea coats'....

Right now I have a short light weight blue wool sailors jacket that I made... in Summer it works fine (ok it was a bit hot at Ojai...) but the wool is not heavy enough for when we play on the San Fransico Bay with the Royaliste...( dang it gets cold out there....) I found an on-line surplus store where I can get Navy blankets for about $20 ... I figure I can make two short sailor jackets out of one blanket...... line them with light denim (turned wrong side out of a lighter shade of blue) ... THAT should keep me warm.....

I concurr with Rue...thrift stores are a most excellent place for all sorts of booty. Not just clothing either...beads, jewels, tankards....don't underestimate the treasures you can find. Besides, it's just plain fun diggin' through stuff that isn't yers.

Love your suggestion about a Sea Coat darlin'. I never e'en though o'that!

::plots a raid on the ragpicker next to the tat shop on Thrusday::

:blink:

"Show me a man with a tattoo, and I'll show you a man with an interesting past." ~Jack London

Life is a Circus, and I am the Human Cannonball.

I have gotten all of my "nautical" stuff at Thrift and Antique stores...

I got an old (owner claimed over 100 years) white oak 3 gallon keg, in GREAT shape, for $20 just the other day, and an antique yacht/ship's bell (HEAVY) for $10...

I *do* need to track down a good captain's coat though.

Captain_Sigart.jpg

Captain of the Iron Lotus

It is the angle that holds the rope, not the size of the hole.