199 years since Trafalgar

Desert Pyrate

Unfortunately, I can't raise me tot today (with anything but water, tea, or coffee). But rest assured, it is being raised ceremoniously, and will be filled many times over tomorrow and the next day. Here's to the old sea dog!

Coastie :D

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

Aye, goode shipmates, ye beat me to it: I just mentioned the anniversary to First Mate Jan; then said, "now I feel I should post the info to the list"; and there 'twas already, in Captain Twill, just where it belongs.

Admiral Nelson: a Seadog among Seadogs! I'll drink to the lad; jine me, won't ye? :D

Does anyone know if they're planning anything in Spain or England for next year?

:D

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

Aye, one for the Admiral!

Next year you won't be able to move around Britain without tripping over some Nelson/Trafalgar event. For example, every year the museums and schools set an historical subject to be the theme for the year, the idea is that by varying it and encouraging everyone to do at least one thing during the year in keeping with the topic (a special museum exhibit or event, or a school trip etc) it will keep the study of our past varied. Next year is going to be National maritime history year.

2005 also sees the International Festival of the Sea (the biggest maritime festival in the world bar none) back in Portsmouth. The theme for the whole event is the departure of Nelson from England for the last time. The centrepiece to the event will obviously be HMS Victory, his flagship at Trafalgar. HMS Victory and Portsmouth historic dockyard are also holding a number of smaller events. One of the other big events I believe is that HMS Victory will finally be taken out of commission as a Royal Navy warship.

The events aren't all taking place around the Victory though, I know there are going to be special events at his birthplace and all over the country. I'm even doing a living history at Ham House near London recreating the tea party held there by some of Nelson's officers after his funeral. I have heard also that there is to be a special memorial service at Westminster Abbey to commemorate his funeral. You yanks probably don't appreciate what that means, but trust me, it's a big deal over here.

On the other hand I don't know if the SPanish will be holding any celebrations - I bet the French wont :D

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

There's a celebration here at school tonight, and a bigger one next year. From the poster: "Featuring period music and dancing from 1805, plus some slightly anachronistic danceable sea songs. Also featuring the ever-popular English country dances!"

Needless to say, I'm organizing it, complete with full sailor kit (trimmed in black for the night).

A toast to His Lordship!

Pipe UP SPIRITS!!

Hawkyns

:D

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

*raises her tankard and trys to smile*

But why is the rum gone?

Save a horse ride a cowboy!

Take me away and take me farther, suround me now and hold me like holy

My toes are getting pruney

Also my head is round that window is square....

My name is Micheal J Kabous and i eat babies!

Your toast has been burned and no amount of scraping will remove the black stuff

• 8 months later...

The 200th anniversary was today., I grabbed a few photos from CNN., What a site., many countires were represented by ships from around the world. The U.S. was in attendance with the U.S.S. Saipan and assault ship..., Better check thru the blogs., what an event !!!

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

Yea I was reading that ., just as it was happening yesterday about Lord Nelsons great great great great grandaughter didnt really think red against blue was too accurate. you gotta figure., the Spanish and the French lost 32 ships to none on the English side . And the french., being french havent really got anything to celebrate LOL., Shoot they were even late to our revolution. They make nice statues tho *Grinning* :lol:

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

political correctness even gets the dates wrong ......in june so the weather's a chance to be better than it can be in october ........and the french are always willing to rewrite history ....and get their noses out of joint ;)

It's 200 years a few days back.

There were huge celebrations, the whole battle was replayed in portsmouth and it was live on both British tv (not a channel i could see though ) and on internet.

They ended with the most spectacular fireworks.

These are pics of the event:

Trafalgar 200 pics

I saw it live but it was dreadfully bad quality.

This is aone of the pics my British friend sent me:

_41244667_trafalgarpa1-fireworks.jpg

hero.jpg

The International Fleet Review was on the 28th of June, that is probably where the confusion lies. Trafalgar weekend is going to be the 21st- 23rd of October, when it should be.

Because the world does revolve around me, and the universe is geocentric....

Some of the recent reads are saying events will be happening all summer and in to the fall and the grand event will be at the right time. I hope its televised or recorder for the public somehow.,, with host of Tall Ships! :lol:

It was *not* 200 years any time recently. According to www.hms-victory.com : 200th Anniversary of the Battle of Trafalgar, 21st Oct 2005.

:huh: How weird..thats pretty silly making the big celebrations and talking about it being 200 years that day (I'm pretty sure they said that)..

The International Fleet Review was on the 28th of June, that is probably where the confusion lies. Trafalgar weekend is going to be the 21st- 23rd of October, when it should be.

Why didn't they do the re-enactment of the battle thát very day then?

They did that the 28th too, and some battle it was, it was spectacular, and mentioning it being 200 years in the program..weird..

Oh well, apairently some reporters mistake, sorry guys oops3.gif

hero.jpg

Well, this is the first night I've been home since going out Tuesday to see the Trafalgar re-enactment.

I think the real reason for holding the T200 re-enactment in June was that the International Festival of the Sea was taking place in June to take advantage of better weather (Portsmouth in October is NOT a place to hold a major event), so the tall ships were here anyway. Fantastic sight it was, and the atmosphere was electric. You'll be pleased to know that there was no mention of that "red and blue teams" nonsense on the night that I heard.

Since Wednesday I've been at the International Festival of the Sea:

Festsea2.jpg

The better half and I on the Quarter-deck of Victory

Festsea3.jpg

How's that for a place to go boating?

Festsea4.jpg

Hard at work supplying the fleet

Festsea1.jpg

I've not got the words for this...

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

I should have known you were going Foxe... alas, I had no means of getting there, a pity because it would have been nice running into you again.

Because the world does revolve around me, and the universe is geocentric....

I am jelous Foxe ! If you got more pics please postem'

especially in yer long boat around Victory ! That is Awesome. I dont think I could be forgettin that day very soon !! ;)

;);):lol: :

Your wish is my command...

Festsea5.jpg

Captain Sir Sidney Smith accepts a lift from a middie

Festsea7.jpg

The Cutty Sark gig crew (foreground) and us

Festsea8.jpg

The gang on Victory

Festsea9.jpg

Nelson on the Victory

Festsea10.jpg

The Bonaventure girls have demanded their own bumboat for next year

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk