My new Cannon

My "smith" came to the event this weekend bearing gifts!

LotusCannon2.jpg

LotusCannon1.jpg

LotusCannon3.jpg

The barrel is 12 inches long by .50 caliber bore, and it'll fire like a thing of beauty! I built the carriage. I know it's not the best, but I think it fits. And the best part... I have 11 more on the way over the next few weeks

What I need to know now is... what are the laws concerning cannons that only fire blank loads? I am only going to fire blank charges in thesse. Are they legal to fire? Is there a permit you have to get? Etc? The thought of that thar gallows (or jail cell) gives me the shakes...

Captain_Sigart.jpg

Captain of the Iron Lotus

It is the angle that holds the rope, not the size of the hole.

The legal issues depend totally on where you live or where you plan to use it. You will have to check on these things yourself, but bear in mind that sometimes asking a law enforcement type person will not get you an accurate answer. Also there may be noise ordinances involved. Pretty much at events all the legal issues have been looked into (or should have been) by the people in charge. Have fun !!!!

>>>>> Cascabel

My main question is:

are they considered primitive firearms, like most muzzle-loaders, or are they considered fireworks? Some lubber told me that it was considered a firework and therefore highly illegal ;);)

I grew up on a 360 acre plot of woods, where we didn;t have to worry about legalities and classifications. ;)

Captain_Sigart.jpg

Generally, I packed a cannon or two around, and it has been considered a device for signal firing. That said, definitely check the laws where you plan on firing it...Noise ordinances relly vary widely :) Your small bore may be an issue closer to primitive weapons, but your intent seems to be signal firing, which is like a 'blank' gun for races, or a signal cannon for yacht races.......But DO have fun, eh?

;)

ROYALISTE The Bay Area's Official Tallship

• 2 weeks later...

ARRR! I love the smell of Gunpowder in the Mornin'!

We got to fire the guns today! Below is a picture and a link to the video of the firing of this particular cannon:

MyCannonFire.jpg

Cannon Firing Video. Click to watch or Right click and hit "Save target as..."

Also, a link to the page with the rest of my little cannons being fired... Be warned, the microphone on my sister's camcorder don't pick up the boom of the cannons too well... they're MUCH louder and more impressive in person.

Cannonfire Video Page

PS: most of my cannons are ghetto... especially the swivel gun, which is made from an old .45 barrel... but they suffice!

:D

Captain_Sigart.jpg

:D:D

should be realistic... 60-70 grains of powder in a .50 caliber barrel... with a _very_ tight wadding... the founder said that it would easily take 100 grains, but I don't want to push it. 60-70 makes plenty a nice boom, flame and smoke in person

Thanky fer the compliment though

And to think... I have 11 more of these beauties coming!

Captain_Sigart.jpg