Cool picture

Toe Cutter

Great movie,based on about 20 books fron a writer by the name Patrick Obrian.a freind lent me 3 of the books ona CD(audio)they are great,alot of sailing and historical stuff....

Hmm, we've restarted a long dead thread from the 'Pop' archives regarding this Master-Commander thread, but.....Actually, it's a hybrid of two books in the series, not all twenty. 'Master-Commander' book one, and 'Far Side of the World', about halfway thru the career of 'Lucky Jack'. So, later in the series, Jack and the 'Suprise' become privateers. I state this because several posters have made comments that it's not about 'pirates'. I put forth that since you don't read much, you didn't realise that it was the beginning of a series that is also about 'pirates'...

..on a related note, there are still a few disgruntled 'crewmen' (I say that lightly because they haven't sailed with me, therefore their ability is regarded as heresay by me) that believe they can 'return' the 'Rose' to her former status. They send out newsletters for support, but 'tis an effort comparable to 'peein' up a rope'.......The H.M.S. Rose (Suprise) will never again be fit for sea duty as a sail training and goodwill vessel. Too many alterations due to filming. And a note to those who consider her the 'Suprise'......You can paint any old thing you weant on the transom, but thar be an ancient, recognised regimen to follow to rename a ship, and until then, she's still the Rose.

;)

ROYALISTE The Bay Area's Offical Tallship

The movie isn't really a hybrid of those two books. It picks and chooses scenes and dialogue from all 20 books. In the book "Far Side of the World" Jack and the Surprise have not yet become a Letter of Marque, or privateers. They are sent by the British government to deal with an American privateer who is wrecking Bristish whalers. Along the way Jack takes on Mr. Hollom who woos the gunners wife. All the hand regard Hollom as very bad luck since terrible things continue to happen to the ship throughout the cruise. Eventually the Gunner bludgeons both his wife and Mr. Hollom to death, he doesn't commit suicide. The Americans are portrayed in a very bad light. The lie, cheat and steal throughout the book. At the end through some very odd circumstances the Americans as well as Jack and a party of Suprises end up stranded on an island.

It isn't until Jack returns to England and takes some ill offered advice that he get arrested for "rigging the stockmarket" and is then out of the service and the Surprise is also sold out.

So the movie is very good. True to the feeling and the characters, but not to the story.

The Duchess