Buccaneer's Ball

Red-Handed Jill

Avast mateys! Anyone planning to be in the San Francisco Bay Area near the end of October? Join Iron Jack and meself at...

THE BUCCANEER'S BALL

A Halloween benefit for Bay Area children's charities

October 29th and 30th

8pm to midnight

At the San Mateo Expo Center - less than 20 miles south of San Francisco

(21 and older only)

There will be plenty of piratical fun to be had:

Live entertainment!

Costume contest!

Fabulous prizes!

Dancing!

Drinks and desserts!

:rolleyes:

Check it out at www.hideandshriek.com

RHJMap.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Yes - Iron Jack outdid himself on the props and sets, as well as the whole setup. (It was nice to see that galleon in a room more accomodating to its size - i.e. larger than our dining room...) A couple of folks have requested cannons from Jack and are already arguing about who will get theirs first!

Ace - you did great! (Even with the acoustic issues, we had no trouble hearing you.) Everyone seemed to be having a great time.

And Skip Henderson and the Starboard watch were terrific, as always!

I'll post pictures as soon as I get them. (Hey - did anyone besides my sister bring their camera?)

RHJMap.jpg

Gosh, what a wonderful night that was. Jack, Jill, and everyone who helped put the Buccaneer's Ball together did a fantastic job. I am crazy about that Revenge model in the corner. What an amazing job on the decor!

The entertainment was great, the food was delicious, and I can't wait to go back for more!

See you guys tonight. . . . :blink:

-Jennifer

"Let them eat cake. No wait, kill 'em all instead, and plunder the cake for yourself. Mmmmm, cake. . ."

Whew - what a night! Jack and I would like to give everyone who volunteered a big THANK YOU for helping us make this happen. This would not have been possible without your participation. And Jack is planning on doing something perhaps even bigger next year...

It was much faster to dismantle everything than to build it, but we were still there until 5:00 AM. But then we realized the time change; it was only 4:00 AM - we were even faster than we thought :blink:

RHJMap.jpg

damn.. I gotta be th" bad guy( glad you all ain't English" )

.....but it was just something missing "something"..... don't know what.. can't figure what "it" is: ...... otherwise....it was cool..............dang... maybe I'm to jaded......

it was cool bits,,,,... and when I figure out what "it is...." then next year....

.....but it was just something  missing "something"..... don't know what.. can't figure what "it" is: ...... otherwise....it was cool..............dang... maybe I'm to jaded......

it was cool bits,,,,... and when I figure out what "it is...." then next year....

Yes it was missing something - your payment of $75. If you didn't pay for the evening's food, dancing and entertainment, then there's really nothing for you to criticize.

I'm sorry to be sounding bitchy about this, but Jack and I put a lot into this (including paying for ALL of it) and it really bothers me to hear someone who didn't pay a cent to get in criticize it.

RHJMap.jpg

.....but it was just something  missing "something"..... don't know what.. can't figure what "it" is: ...... otherwise....it was cool..............dang... maybe I'm to jaded......

Yes it was missing something - your payment of $75. If you didn't pay for the evening's food, dancing and entertainment, then there's really nothing for you to criticize.

I'm sorry to be sounding bitchy about this, but Jack and I put a lot into this (including paying for ALL of it) and it really bothers me to hear someone who didn't pay a cent to get in criticize it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aside from this probably better left to personal email, I was led by Claire to believe that 'Tales' members were waived on the fee...Perhaps you should clarify this next 'time', last time I looked, Patrick was a Tales member. I'd best be updating myself on who are members and who aren't, as it also affects people's access to my ship.

I re-read my post, and can see that I didn't explain what I ment very well.

As soon as you entered the front door, it was very obvious that a lot of effort and hard work went into putting the Buccaneer's Ball together. What I was trying to say is that something outside to set the mood as you walked to the entrance. The Skull and crossbones above the door were cool, but I was trying to figure what else could be done (and something simple....)

I am sorry that my post sounded like I was critisizing The Buccaneer's Ball, I only wanted to offer a sujestion, and unfortunatly I didn't do a very good job of it.

Once again, I apologize for not making myself clear, and causing any hurt feelings .

Most of that was due to the constraints of working at the San Mateo Expo Center. They have certain events that they do every year and have the signage for and our brand new event really threw them off. They couldn't even cope for two days and provide signage or even adequate support for our event. They made promises and we took them for their word, but they fell through. Otherwise, there would have been, say, a line of pirate flags along the route to the event or some such thing.

Needless to say, next year's event won't be held there.

Thanks for clarifying your point, Patrick.

RHJMap.jpg

I'll post 'er here too, just fer S & G's (don't mean to be steppin' on anyone's thread afterall, 'natch)

Ahoy Mates!

Just want to say a quick word 'o thanks to all of ye folks wot helped with preparation and assistance with the Buccaneers Ball this year (sorry, fer takin' me dang time in gettin' this out, but I've been a bit catatonic this last week with windin' everything down 'n all).

So anyway, a BIG THANKEE to the died-in-the-wool Hide and Shriekers fer stickin' with the vision and helpin' to put the whle thing together in the first place:

- Red-Handed Jill (me own darlin')

- Rowdy Phil

- Joanne Ireland 'n staff (who isn't a "brethern 'o the coast" yet, but we be workin' on 'er)

An all of the actors 'n entertainers who participated in putting the show together:

- Ace Miles (me boy, ye be a true talent!)

- Claire (Poison Quill 'erself)

- Scott (Darkthing, ye be a fine one fer pitchin' in at the last minute, mate)

- Rowdy Phil

- Richard Brown and the Highlanders (ye be true talents with the blades, boys, 'n, Richard, I think ye be born to play Blackbeard, mate!)

- Barry Strauss (our fill in DJ fer Saturday night. Also not a pirate, . . . yet)

- Skip Henderson and the Starboard Watch (Brilliant as always. Be sure to catch their show evey Thurs. night at Quinn's from 8-10 PM)

An everyone who volunteered to help with setup, teardown, or any of the other million things that always need doing with this kind of event:

- Bob

- Rich

- Greg

- Nicole

- Cyrus

- Stephanie (of the Olsen clan)

- Adam (also of the Olsen clan)

- Jim Corder (whom I had just spoken to for the first time the day before and who showed up and immediately headed up the ladders to help with some of the rigging (that I really didn't want to do meself) Thanks, mate!)

-Vinnie (who did everone's makeup on Friday)

'An our wonderful vendors:

- Stich 'n Yolanda (thanks fer the beautiful bottle, mate!)

- Jamaica Rose and 'er helper (from NQG)

- Richard Becker and 'is lovely wench (who's name presently escapes me feeble mellon).

And plenty of others, which I'm sure I'm forgetting to name some (jest knock me over the 'ead the next time ye sees me if'n I forgot to mention ye).

Overall, I think the Ball was a grand success! 'O course there would be plenty of things which would be different if'n we 'ad 'er to do over again ('n hindsight be 20/20 as always), but all 'n all she wearn't all that bad fer our first year out of the box, methinks, and everyone I've spoken to seemed to have had a really good time. Which is most important.

So, we Hide and Shriekers already be looking forward to next year with a bigger and more well-rounded piratical event in the works!

So, once again, from the bottom of me weasely black guts, a heartfelt thanks to ye all!

Iron Jack

Iron Jack: Scourge 'o the Shores!

Some mornings, it just doesn't seem worth it to gnaw through the leather straps.

- Emo Phillips

Damfino!

Buccaneers Ball Info

Ahoy Pat!!!

Its so easy to misunderstand someone when your just dealing with text messages, been there and done that.

Jack and Jill...

What a great job you did putting this monster event together, from what I saw, eveyone had a great time and I'm sure all eyes are looking for the one next year.

Saber

• 2 weeks later...

Though I wounldn't a been able to buy me a golden ticket, looks like a grand occassion. And nothin better than to see some new goins on for me favorite holiday. Good luck to you and your venture. Perhaps I be able to give a visit in the next year of business.

Who said bein' a hag were a bad thing?