Ships and the Sea

This weekend my husband, son and I went out to the Royaliste to lend a hand sanding the ship's wheel and the spindles on the taffrail (rail at the back of the ship) I took the opportunity of having the Royaliste docked for the day to photograph a few of her details.

The Royaliste is a beautiful ship and the closer you look at her, the more care and detail you see that went into the making of her. The more I learn, the more appreciation I have for the art of ship building.

Here is the Royaliste, in port getting her beauty treatment

RoyalisteFlysHerColors2.jpg

(Note she's flying her colors... the Jolly Roger!)

Here is the Royaliste's lovely figurehead, which keeps with the old tradition that a woman's bared breasts can calm storms. I keep wondering if the female members of the crew are going to be asked to put that to the test one day!!

RoyalistesFigurehead.jpg

RoyalistesFigureheadUpClose.jpg

The catheads of the Royaliste have these unique carvings... what else would you find on a cathead, but a cat's head, eh? Another example of the loving attention to detail on this ship!

Here is one of the two cat heads, and the name plate on the port (left) side of the Royliste:

RoyalisteCatAndName.jpg

Here is the cat's head up close:

RoyalisteCatHeadUpClose.jpg

The R's (or are they ARRRRRRRRRR's?!!) On the window of the Captain's cabin. These R's are unique to the Royaliste and no other ship has them.

RoyalisteWindow.jpg

-Claire "Poison Quill" Warren

Pyrate Mum of Tales of the Seven Seas

www.talesofthesevenseas.com

Aye Lass,

I admire any wooden hulled, tallship, square rigger, etc...

There is a small river sloop pirate ship in me area named either "The Ark" or just "ARK".... she be 42' abeam... single mast sloop... I gotta get a note ta the Cap'n one o' these days... Las' tyme I was on her was at least 3 years ago.... lost touch wi' th' Lad since then...

I'll agree, beautiful pics o' the Royaliste...

'ow 'bout some pics o' them new carronades??? :ph34r:

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

*Quoting the Dentyne gum commercials of the 1960's pirate style!*

"Who want guns?!!"

"I DO !!! I DO !!!"

:ph34r:

Here are photos of the existing guns:

The bigger gun...

RoyalisteCannon.jpg

Lighting the swivel gun...

RoyalGaryAndBobLightSwivelGun.jpg

Those two are what she has on board now, not counting what the crew comes armed with. :ph34r:

Here is a link to a video of my husband catching a back blast from the swivel gun's touch hole in the face!!

Click here to view the AVI file

And here is a photo of my husband, bleeding, but grinnin' from ear to ear! He still gives me grief because I yelled "Don't wipe the blood off until I get a picture!!" (is that pirate love 'er what, eh?!!)

RoyalBobBloody.jpg

I am pretty lucky,in that the 'Lady Washington' is home ported a couple hours drive from me.

she is a beauty and I had the pleasure of visiting her once when she was in port in Vancouver,Wa just across the river from me.

Lady Washington

Capt Weaver

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned. A man in jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company. "

Dr. Samuel Johnson

Capt Weaver's Pirate Perversions

Aye Claire, Royaliste,

Great Pics!!!

Excellent AVI!!!

So, Who's who? Mr. bloody nose be Claires' Hubby, but who else be there? Tis a goode thing 'avin' names ta faces...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

I'm sitting on the left, holding my hat on in the wind. My husband, Bob, was the one who caught the back blast. Royaliste, our captain, is in the blue shirt and the black hat. The red-haired wench who you see up close is Sasha, who comes up from southern CA to join us and the guy behind her with the blonde hair is Neko. Up in the bow, were two pirates that didn't get on the video, Patt and Ron.

Aye Lass,

Goode set o' pics on th' site!!! Great AVI too!

Royaliste,

Might I ask, on seein' them pics n' the avi, how was it yer makin' some goode tyme, wi' out any sails set? Or didja just 'ave yer topsails out an' they weren't inna pics, etc...?

Ye weren't usin' any modern type propulsion, were ye? :ph34r:

I'd give me left leg fer tha' kinda fun..... :ph34r:

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

I liked Sasha's digital camera with the AVI feature so much, that when our old digital camera started to go south, I got one too. So I hope to get some decent video of the Royaliste firing at....?!!!

Hmmmm.... maybe we can instigate a fight!! Battle on the Bay 2003!!! ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

_ThumbnailAnimated%20GifsObjectsCannoncannon_face2_wte.gif

I've sailed on the Royaliste, and we worked with the Juan Sebastian de Elcano of Spain while she was in port in San Francisco last January. We are scheduled to work with the Californian while she is in port in Oakland in September. What I mean by "work with", is that the ship is docked and our pirates are down on the pier working as volunteers, raising havoc and bringing guests in off the streets to visit the ship. (I'm not going to count my husbands sail boat as it isn't a tall ship!)

The Royaliste, without a doubt, has been the best. She's truly the pirate of the bay. What can I say... Nothing beats hiding in a cove, sneaking up on a ship and engaging her in a sea battle or firing the ship's guns at a camera clicking crowd of tourists! (who love it!) ...And the captain is good company, he hasn't keelhauled us or even flogged us yet!!

:ph34r:

Aye,

Well, I just this day found out I will, unless things change, be in Oakland CA, right around the piers (where ever Matson trans. ships into) for a few days in Sept.... the 24th to either th' 27th or 29th...

Should I pack a set o' me best? An' 'ow in blazes do I gets me cutlass n' pistol thru th' airport?

:ph34r::huh::huh:

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Arrrrrrrrrrrgh!!!

We will be in Ojai for the Pirate Faire the 26th -29th!!

Here's how I travel with weapons.

Two weeks before you go, call the airline and get the low down on the current requirements. It is in a constant state of change. But be flexible. It can vary, depending on who's in charge of security that day.

Have a business card with you reenactors info on it and present it at the check-in counter so that they know you are a reenactor. This was recommended to me by Southwest Airlines, who also said not to come in costume, security would freak.

One week before you actually fly, take the suitcase you're using with you to the airport empty. Let them know that you'll be coming next week and explain what weapons you'll be carrying. Ask them which counter you'll be going to to check in your baggage and have them inspect the empty suitcase to make sure it meets their standards for what you want to do.

Be sure to ask if they want the suitcase locked or unlocked. This is one thing that changes frequently. Sometimes they want it tiewrapped.

If you 've been firing blackpowder, you need to let them know because it will show up when they do a wipe-down of the baggage. If you are carrying blackpowder or ammunition, it has to be in a separate case from the gun itself. None of this can go as carry-on of course.

On the day you are traveling, allow plenty of time for inspections. Go straight to the counter where you've been told to check in your bags, give them your business card first and TELL THEM VERBALLY WHAT IS IN THE SUITCASE BEFORE YOU OPEN IT.

If they seem unconcerned, great, but be sure to ask them to advise the CTX scanner operators that your gear is coming so that they don't freak when it comes through the scanner.

Some places inspect heavily, others not. Smile, be friendly, cooperative and patient, plus willing to compromise what they told you to do the week before with what they tell you to do now!

Aye Ladd, Lass,

Hmmm.. seein' as it be a business trip, I'll 'ave on'y a wee bit o' free tyme... I hope mostly on th' saturday, an iffn' I hasta stay thru th' weekend, sunday for sure will be free... I nay know me way about th' area, so I'd hafta trust yon natives...

I shall keep ye posted as I knows wot be happenin'

I thinks me weapons will be stayin' in their home port... I'll just hope bein' armed wi' me wits shall be enough ta get me thru...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

I started out working on shrimp boats in thr Gulf and Atlantic then served 3 1/2 years on the USS Kenedy and finally was Captain of a crab boat....nothing under sail...but now I write nautical fiction...I'll get my chance at sail on August 15th when my friend from England and the Bolitho Group comes to visit me in St. Augustine, Florida. We are going out on the local schoon Freedom. We are excitedly looking forward to our sail.

Image007.jpg

Captain Viper