Pirate rank

Captain Rum Lady

Pirates didn't really have ranks. What little organization they did have was carried over from their Naval days with some changes.

There was an elected captain, and a quartermaster who acted as liason between the crew and captain, administered discipline when needed, and kept tally of the plunder taken. Otherwise it was the same as any other ship of the day, with a bosun, coaxswain, and hopefully a carpenter and perhaps a doctor.

newbannersigtar0db.gif

I'm not sure that you mean rank so much as you might mean station or a manned position aboard ship. Like Joshua was saying, there would be a certain amount of crossover from one’s previous duties or abilities. Someone who had previously been a Navy sailor would likely carry on similar duties aboard a Pirate ship. Likewise for lubbers pressed into Navy or Pirate service, a cook on land would likely become ship’s cook, a carpenter on land would likely become ship’s carpenter.

Now for a list of possible positions available aboard ship of the time. . . I don’t have them in my head or at me fingertips at the moment.

Anyone else know?

Arrrgh!......In keepin' wif the 'day', by lifestyle and necessity, we 'ave RR 's whilst maintainin' some semblance of sailin' efficiently. Aboard this 'ere Ship, thar be a Cap'n, Quartermaster, First mate (who carries more weight on a privateer than in the R.N.), Bos'n, deck officers (foredeck, quarterdeck, poopdeck), officer 'o the guns, helmsman as opposed to a pilot, and gunners. Thar be a few unfilled permanent ones such as cook and coxs'n, and 'o course on a small vessel, several 'o these positions be overlappin', bein' in the interest 'o maritime duality 'n all. My First Mate 'n I share duties as quarterdeck captains, one each side, during sea battles and multiple ship events for safety purposes. And even tho' this is in good fun, strict observance 'o discipline an' the ways 'o the Sea always be in effect. Thar'll be no mutinies aboard this Ship.

<_<

Ahoy mate! :ph34r:

Here be somethin' ye might think horrid..sometimes the ship's carpenter had t' be th' ship's surgen...only because the tools they used were similar! Imagine havin' a venerial disease an the carpenter whips out his tools.....Ouch is all I gotta say! So's ye see...sometimes crew members had several duties upon a ship...especially if the ship were short handed.

Deadly Drucilla

<_<

Pause My Friend, As You Pass By. -As You Are, So Once Was I. -As I Am, So Shall You Be. -Prepare You Then, To Follow Me.

(written on a gravestone)

Aye Master Steele, the "Daily Life -> Officers & Crew" link on the Rumskulls site tis a great resource for this!

ARRRRrrggggg!!! Everyone seems to think I'm a "Master" or "lad" when in fact I be a lass!!! :ph34r:

But anyway, here's another pretty good link for running a ship in the 19th Century. The Boy's Manual Of Seamanship and Gunnery from the Royal Navy. - http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~p...M/Contents.html

here is the list that I have.

Captain (of course)

First Lieutenant

Second Lieutenant

Master

Surgeon

Officer of Marines

Prize Master

Carpenter

Master Gunner

Captain Gunner

Gunner Mate

Boatswain

Master's Mates

Captain's clerks

Steward

Sailmaker

Boatswain's mates

Carpenter's mates

Cooper

Surgeon's mates

Armorer

Sergeant-Marines

Cook

Gentermen Volt (trs)

Powder Monkeys.

(source "Pirates & Patriots of the Revolution _ An illustrated Encyclopedia of Colonial Seamanship")

A good portion of a time a ship may mutiny and go on the account. They would elect a captain, but the others would maintain their ranks as they had before the mutiny.

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Captain of SIREN'S RESURRECTION,

Her fleet JAGUAR'S SPIRIT, ROARING LION , SEA WITCH AND RED VIXEN

For she, her captains and their crews are....

...Amazon by Blood...

...... Warrior by Nature......

............Pirate by Trade............

If'n ye hear ta Trill ye sure to know tat yer end be near...

i knew a quartermaster who bit me at a ren fair once i saw him a couple weeks ago and if i see him again and i'm not in chains i'll punch his lights out.

But why is the rum gone?

Save a horse ride a cowboy!

Take me away and take me farther, suround me now and hold me like holy

My toes are getting pruney

Also my head is round that window is square....

My name is Micheal J Kabous and i eat babies!

Your toast has been burned and no amount of scraping will remove the black stuff

ARRRRrrggggg!!!  Everyone seems to think I'm a "Master" or "lad" when in fact I be a lass!!!  :ph34r:

(berp)

Sorry about that lass. . . Does that mean I'm not getting anymore rum?

Hummmm... well lets see here.................. *ponders*

Okay, you can have more rum... as long as your a good little pirate! :huh:

If a captain has charge of more than one ship, what's his rank? Commodore?

In the Royal Navy, a Commodore was not an actual rank I believe, it was merely a title/commission, and it simply meant someone had command over several ships. Just like captain, was not an actual rank, theoretically anyone could be a captain(like a Lieutenant). After three years of a captaincy, if one survived and distinguised oneself, then one could be called to be employed in the rank of Post Captain. That was a real rank.

After that were Admirals, but they would never have command over a ship. The vessel would be under the command of a Captain (or Post Captain) while the entire fleet would be under the command of an Admiral.

According to US Navy regulations in 1814, they were called a Commander of a Squadron, although they were like the Admirals in the Royal Navy. And also in the 1814 regulations, it seems that Captains and Commanders shared the same responsibilities. 1814 US Navy Regulations

Clear as mud?

Ahh... This gets a tad complicated...

In the SCA... I seem to have started something... I had a ship, the 'Iron Lotus'. (Not a physical ship, mind you... not yet anyway...) Well, last weekend, my Quartermaster was having a little drinking contest, as he boasted that no one could out-drink an "Irish Pirate". I'm not sure what HE wagered, but one of the other participants wagered their ship... Long story short, My Quartermaster now owns his own Ship, which he is assembling a crew for and is going to "sail under my colors".

Since I am still the Captain of the Iron Lotus, I'm not an admiral... thus, I am now a Commodore, yes? :lol:

:lol:

'opefully I dinna confuzzle ye too much...

Captain_Sigart.jpg

Captain of the Iron Lotus

It is the angle that holds the rope, not the size of the hole.

If he is the captain of the "new ship" and sailing under your colors, and your orders, then yes, you are a Commodore. And he best be sharin a bit of the booty with ya!

If he is the captain of the "new ship" and sailing under your colors, but not your orders, then you are not a Commodore. But he still best be sharin a bit of the booty with ya! Otherwise, he should think about gettin his own set of colors. (IMHO)

If you give up your captain's post on your ship giving it to another, but stay on board your ship as it being your flagship, but both ships sail under your orders and colors, then you are an Admiral.

I think.... LOL

Ok my stupid assistant principal said i couldn't have a pirate club, but if i changed it to a renaissace club then i might be able to have it! so now i need what they ate, like snacks cause i ain't making stew! or meat! How about this we kill the school board! B)B)B) then we party like pirates do! B)

'Rum, rum, rum!'

Rum, rum, rum. I want my rum! If you don't give me it I'll put you in a kilt and make you dance like a irishman! Rum, rum, rum! I want my Rum!