Check out my new pirate web site!

Just took the plunge and bought my own domain name. I had an old site called Red Flag... I change names and move the content over to

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Its still a work in progress but I would appreciate ANY critisism (positive or negative)

Thanks

in advance

Greg

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Personally I think it's great..Just needs more color. I would try to find an old parchment background..Give it the old world feel..and perhaps change the font to Olde English or to that Pirate Font Black Skot found a while back. Although I could not download it. That thread for the font was under Beyond Pyracy..I think..Ill have to double check..And I love the pics. But im in no way a professional..But I give it two thumbs up.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

Excellent ...

The only things I would recommend is perhaps, downsizing the font on the articles just a tad.

And perhaps, if possible some links to some 18th century medical information. Cause even pirates needed to stay in one piece to take a prize. And since they had parts in the articles about those that lost a limb and such... am sure they were rightly concerned with it too. I think that might set your site a bit apart from the rest of them...just a thought.

:lol:

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Captain of SIREN'S RESURRECTION,

Her fleet JAGUAR'S SPIRIT, ROARING LION , SEA WITCH AND RED VIXEN

For she, her captains and their crews are....

...Amazon by Blood...

...... Warrior by Nature......

............Pirate by Trade............

If'n ye hear ta Trill ye sure to know tat yer end be near...

Not bad, the layout is clean. The main problem I see is the font you've chosen: Blackadder ITC.

It's a cool font, but unless a person's bought the font (that's right, it's not available for free) and downloaded it or it came with an application they've installed, they won't see it. Based on some of the posts, I'm guessing most people don't have this font on their system. Most systems will default to something like Times New Roman or Arial.

Look for a free font and invite viewers to download and install it to better enjoy your site. Maybe you can find one similar to Blackadder ITC.

Melusine de la Mer

"Well behaved women rarely make history." - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I have already made some changes regarding font size and such. I did not realize that folks would not have BlackAdder font.... not sure what to do about that.

Still learning about this web site stuff!

And does anyone know where I can find info to link to about 18th Century medical stuff? :lol:

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Aye! Nice site.

I noticed ya sez ya haven't seen any sites for 18th century reproduction ships afloat...

Well the Royaliste is not only afloat but we attack the SF Bay, cannons a blazing fairly regularly.

She's a 71', gaff-rigged, square-tops'l ketch. With the specs of an 18th-century dispatch gunboat.

The captain is always about on the pub.

Take a peek at her site Royaliste

Take a peek at her site Royaliste

The pictures of the Royaliste greeting the Nippon Maru in San Francisco Bay are fantastic. So was the artwork. Thank you for the link.

Rotten, evil, no-good plotting, spoon-fed, going-to-hell-in-a-handbasket lass!

Always trying to bury that little devil on my shoulder and go to the angelic side -

even if just for a moment - choking down whatever evil scheme I was plotting!!!!

PirateFlag_sig.gif

A Fine Crew Indeed

My Webpage-----Pyrate Invasion at PARF-2004-----MDRF 2004 Opening Day

Not bad, the layout is clean. The main problem I see is the font you've chosen: Blackadder ITC.

It's a cool font, but unless a person's bought the font (that's right, it's not available for free) and downloaded it or it came with an application they've installed, they won't see it. Based on some of the posts, I'm guessing most people don't have this font on their system. Most systems will default to something like Times New Roman or Arial.

Look for a free font and invite viewers to download and install it to better enjoy your site. Maybe you can find one similar to Blackadder ITC.

I got Blackadder ITC for free from Font Freak. It may well have been there improperly, but the webmaster seems to do a pretty good job of only putting up legit files.

Thanks again for the kind words and suggestions.

I have added the Royaliste to the ship page.

Now I am looking for other topics to cover on the site. As you can tell, the theme is more of the Authentic clothing, as weapons, Famous Pirate Bios, and Flags are really covered on other web sites.

I have been toying with the idea of putting info on "What does an Early 18th Century Tavern Wench really look like".

Any other suggestions are greatly welcomed.

I got Blackadder ITC for free from Font Freak.

When did you download it? I just checked and couldn't find it, either in the B's or the I's. And neither in the PC section, nor the Mac section.

Could be he realized it wasn't freeware or shareware, and he took it down since then.

Melusine de la Mer

"Well behaved women rarely make history." - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Very nice., I have been enjoying it off an on for a couple of days now., its a great bookmark ! ! !

Thank You For Sharing

HarborMaster

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Captain of SIREN'S RESURRECTION,

Her fleet JAGUAR'S SPIRIT, ROARING LION , SEA WITCH AND RED VIXEN

For she, her captains and their crews are....

...Amazon by Blood...

...... Warrior by Nature......

............Pirate by Trade............

If'n ye hear ta Trill ye sure to know tat yer end be near...

Hmmmm 18th Century Medicine....

Thanks for the links. I took a look at them and added the "A Primer on 18th Century Medicine. While the three sites do have useful information, The large majority of it is for Rev War (or at least POST-1720).

The scope of my site is to help the would be Pirate Re-enactor/Living Historian research their clothing and weapons of the period and hopefully find sources to flesh out their kits.

And since I don't have the time or resources to cover aspects of each persons particular sub-set of their pirate persona (i.e. information on Coopering during 1690-1720), I am just going to stick to clothing and weapons.

I hope that doesn't sound too pretentious... I just can't be all things to everybody without my wife complaining that I spend too much time on the freakin' computer!

:ph34r:

I just added a "weapons" page to my site. This is an area that I am kind of weak in so I would appreciate any feed back you can give.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions (both on this post and via PMs) :unsure:

fantastic start sir look forward to further improvement

But why is the rum gone?

Save a horse ride a cowboy!

Take me away and take me farther, suround me now and hold me like holy

My toes are getting pruney

Also my head is round that window is square....

My name is Micheal J Kabous and i eat babies!

Your toast has been burned and no amount of scraping will remove the black stuff