props?

robert

this is a stupid question i'm sure, but what exactly do you do with movie props anyway? I've been looking at these type of items an they seem to be generally greatly overpriced and made of inferior materials. example would be the pirate coin from potc. Would'nt something orginial or a good copy of something be as good? example would'nt you rather have a real period sword over a rubber prop sword? or is a fake prop onion bottle more desirable over a true 18 century onion bottle? Something intangable about them? thanks in advance

Well, ye do have an interesting question thar Robert.

I guess people want AUTHENTIC movie props for collecting purposes and to generally say they have an authentic movie prop!!

I would LOVE to have an authentic POTC anything for this very reason!

I would think that the authentic movie props hold their value and more than likely, appreciate in value!

I think the more popular the movie determines the price! However, I have seen plenty of movie props from movies that people can't give away!

This was quite a number of years ago...I read somewhere thatg somebody bought the original Maltese Falcom for approx 3 million!!

Recently Johnny Depp's costume he wore in "Don Juan DeMarco" went for somethin like $1500.00 - $2,000 ish!

I can't imagine what the authentic Jack Sparrow would get!! WHOOO!!

I lucked out on EBAY a few years back and found one of the deck cannons from "HOOK". It was sent to a statue company in Chicago, where two other copies were made. If anyone is interested, I'll send info about this company. I'm sure they still have the mold.

"Remember, on a pirate ship, in pirate waters, in a pirate world, ask no questions. Believe only what you see. No, believe half of what you see."... Burt Lancaster

iiiiii.jpg

DUM SPIRO SPERO... WHILE I BREATH, I HOPE

Copies can infact be better depending on what it is and who made it and from what. For example a Star Trek Phaser :huh: can not be had. But a GREAT copy can be. And some originals were in fact junk., resin dummies. Now with that said a HERO prop., or copy of one is what you are really wanting .

For example my POTC coin is made of pewter which for me is garbage gold plated or not.

However the fine detail of it under a magnifying glass reveals HIGH detail., which is why I cast it in RomaGold Alloy and Sterling Silver and ., yea I have a 14k solid at 38 grams.

Then again the original chain tho it my be movie accurate for me is not too good and certainly doest warrant enough trust to hold my SS let alone my 14k coin there for I have chosen something non movie accurate however it looks great...,and is much stronger,

All in all it depends on the prop.., and how bad YOU want it., and how rare it may be and whats it made from?

:huh: HarborMaster :huh:

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

Actually, the one off of EBAY was the real deal. It was made of wood with the barrel being resin covered in a thick metal foil. The other two are 100% fiberglass. But I agree, many repro's are better than the real thing.

"Remember, on a pirate ship, in pirate waters, in a pirate world, ask no questions. Believe only what you see. No, believe half of what you see."... Burt Lancaster

iiiiii.jpg

DUM SPIRO SPERO... WHILE I BREATH, I HOPE

I have many of the original costumes and props from Cutthroat Island - they were purchased through Hollywood CPR, a charitable organization that teaches kids in need how to work in the prop industry...

Frankly, I wear them out all the time and use the props as well... Luckily, Cutthroat Island's costumers were obsessive about detail and authenticity so they're not cheaply made. And since no one was interested in piratephenalia back then, most of the sets (coat, pants, shirt and hat) could be had for $250. Geena Davis' white dress in the auction scene only went for $1500. I bought another dress and the thing must have weighed 10 pounds.

I originally got a few of the pieces to display, but they were really meant to wear. What's the point of having a piece in a display case in your home when it can be seen as a wearable collection at an event...

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Hello all,

I purchased a couple of things from the Disney ebay auctions and just like having them. If you browse any Christies or Sotheby's prop auction catalog you will see some props are indeed a good investment. I think some if the Ebay auctions were very well priced as no one at the time had any idea how popular POTC would be.

Lady Maudelynn

Yes, soon after the movie came out the principals outfits were up for bid on Disney's auction site as well as some props. Then the receipts started rolling in from the box office and that gig ended pretty quickly as they'd be needing them for the sequels.

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

I was lucky and got a medallion and the Will Turner Jacket. I really wanted a dress but was outbid at the last second. I cannot imagine what the dresses, or even the 2 things I have, are worth now. I have my COA's from Disney in a safe place :D

My treasure chests are overflowing, well ok not overflowing but a good start has been made

I have many of the original costumes and props from Cutthroat Island - they were purchased through Hollywood CPR, a charitable organization that teaches kids in need how to work in the prop industry...

I would LOVE to get some costume pieces from that film! I bid on some last year and was outbid at the last moment. I had heard that they were really well done, and so the money they were going for, even for the costumes for the extras, they were worth the money spend, and it really was not all that much.

*sigh* That is still my second favorite pirate flick, in spite of its really cheesy script!

When I found out the Cutthroat Island costumes and props were avaiable, I went right to the prop house and bought several prop and costume items. What I got was had for INCREDIBLY low prices. (costume items $5.00 each, weapons and parts $10.00 each), but I payed $125.00 for one of the fancy coats from the ballroom scene. Got some swords, both rubber and aluminum, and also some costume coats, a couple of which were like new and never got the "artificially aged" treatment. Also got one of the Jolly Roger flags and a hat.

Most of what was there had been poorly stored and had gotten wet and stayed wet for a long time, but the stuff I got had remained dry, and is in excellent shape. The bulk of the costumes were very small sizes, so not a whole lot would fit me. Filming was done in Malta and Thailand, and most of the extras were pretty small people. I wound up getting a total of five coats that I could fit into.

The costume items were very well made, and probably quite expensive to produce. More like real clothing than cheaply put together costumes. The prop weapons were typical prop Items that look great from across the room, but up close they leave a lot to be desired. The aluminum bladed swords are fight-worthy, and have obviously seen action. I have a rubber example of Dawg Brown's serated bladed sword that was of course not meant to be used.

>>>>> Cascabel

I've heard of some of the extra's in "The Patriot" grabbing some of the items there cause they could use them for the re-enactments. Some were sold as well. Not all the items were to standards with some units... but others would allow it.

I know someone who bought Tavington's finale scene uniform. It was cool... but curious enough to know what she was going to do with it. Last I knew, she just.... had it. No practical use for it. Ooooh, how I would have LOVED to have the helmet! The rest of the uniform, I couldn't use.

I guess.. for me.... if I buy a prop... #1, I would REALLY have to want it. #2, I would want to find a way to use it.

I'd STILL love to get my hands upon a replica of Barbossa's/Dawg Brown's pistol. & Barbossa's ring.

::ponders:: though a carbine from PotC would be cool... as long as I would be able to use it. But if it's no better than the one Art, my commander has & more expensive.... Ummm, I will take Art's... cause I know it works. :D

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

I recently bought a couple of props from a local costumer who has

hollywood conections, and who stil on occasion does movie costuming.

She had a set of clothes used on a bad movie "Robinson Caruso"

starring Pierce Brosnan. I wound up with his Gillet and a pair of

buckskin gauntlets. Plus I got a rubber musketoon that was used

by one of Tavinton's men in the Patriot. All pretty cool stuff.

The gillet and the gauntlets have been artificially aged, the gillet

has been sanded in may places to give it the "shipwrecked" look.

It's a great material; black with gold embroider....I wish it was

in better condition...it's still usable for that "ratty" piratical look! :lol:

A lot of the way a prop looks and it's construction has to do

with whether it's being used in the foreground or waaay in

the background shots, and of course film budget!

Redhand

Alot of the costumes are not as subtle in person as the detail has to be tripled for it to show up on film. I have been trying to match the fabric of the dress Elizabeth wears at the end of POTC for a year now and I believe it must be a hand painted thing. But it looks quiet different on screen than in person

Fabrics are used in filming that are less intense than in person, due to the way film, well, films. The bright red jackets in Cuttroat Island of the soldiers is actually a very washed out red. Plus, those costumes used in background shots tend to be more flat in color and of monotone palettes. The farther back they are used, the more blah they are colorwise...

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny