Ted and Terry on Barbossa...

Iron Bess

I can't for the life of me remember who asked but... I know I said I'd ask the writers about where the name Barbossa came from.

This email came from Terry today. Hope it helps!! :unsure:

<omited>

<omited>

Barboss'a name had, oddly, many influences.

You might think it began with the Barbarrosa Brothers but at the time we were (or at least I was) only vaugely familiar with that reference. I would have probably associated the word more with the old Willie Nelson film.

I think it started with the notion of the Barbary Coast or the Barbard Coast Pirate. Thr Barbary Coast Pirates were located in North Africa. I believe, though the reference is maybe more common to the San Francisco brothal section around the time of the gold rush. I'm almost certain the San Francisco Barbary Coast was named for the Africa Pirate coast. In any case it was renowned for the certain level of wickedness and debauchery.

The word which also calls to mind the word "Barbarian". We were a little concerned about the less then scary call to mind of the word "barber" but then again, you've got Sweeny Todd, the Deamon Barber of Fleet Street. We decided barbers are scary enough. I also liked that there was a bit of a hint of the phrase Sargasso Sea... If you took Barbary and Sargasso you might get Barbossa.

The fact that the original Greek word for Barbarian is something like barbaros helped us think it was right. The connection to Barbarrosa Brothers we decided would be a cool 'echo' and not a confusion (but by that time we just decided that we liked how Barbossa sounded.)

Terry

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Now can you ask what Commodore Norrington's first name is? My guess is John, sort of boring and straight-laced like he is. :ph34r:

(No, really. I've looked at the scripts that are online and there is no reference.) :unsure:

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.

I've only heard it mentioned as James. Hmmm.... ;)

Johnny Depp teased Geoffrey on the set, calling him Hector. So even tho, it's never mentioned in the movie, it just fits for Barbossa. :ph34r: I like the mystery with just the last name tho. :unsure:

Governor Swann's first name was also never mentioned. I've heard it being Weatherby.

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

Christine, here is the description from the script (borrowed from SimplyScripts.com, content is copyrighted to the writers and Disney):

NORRINGTON, a dashing young man, Royal Navy to

the core, glares sternly at Gibbs. Standing beside him is GOVERNOR

WEATHERBY SWANN, a man of obvious high station, brass buttons on

his thick blue jacket. He is Elizabeth's father.

(Chuckle) You guys...

I'll see what I can find out next week, okay??

:ph34r:

We're just giving you excuses to go visit the writers, Bess. :ph34r:

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.

Hi bess :ph34r:

That be me who asked :)

I was trying to find out, thanks so much for getting this information.

Would it be a problem if i passed this news on?

I don't want to get you into trouble but i know this subject is a regular one amongst Pirates of the Caribbean fans! :)

Sorry being late responding *blush*, i'm stressed and tired, and i am not posting as much as usually, but i'll be around :)

hero.jpg

Hi bess :P

That be me who asked :)

I was trying to find out, thanks so much for getting this information.

Would it be a problem if i passed this news on?

I don't want to get you into trouble but i know this subject is a regular one amongst Pirates of the Caribbean fans! :)

Sorry being late responding *blush*, i'm stressed and tired, and i am not posting as much as usually, but i'll be around :)

No, I think it would be fine if you shared.

Terry knew I was asking for a board. I think he was detailed BECAUSE he knew it was for the fans and such like.

Feel free lass, spread the word. :P

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

I've only heard it mentioned as James. Hmmm.... :P

Johnny Depp teased Geoffrey on the set, calling him Hector. So even tho, it's never mentioned in the movie, it just fits for Barbossa. :P I like the mystery with just the last name tho. :P

Governor Swann's first name was also never mentioned. I've heard it being Weatherby.

Yes, it's James Norrington ;)

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Thanks Bess, i'll be passing it on then :P

Have a ncie Sunday, all ! :)

Oh I will.

I'm gonna watch MONK all day. :P

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Uhm...i'm not aware of what MONK is *blush*

Is it a movie or American series?

Monk is a TV series that one of our producers does. It stars Tony Shaloub as a detective who is odd to say the least.

Add to that that he is a very nice guy and I enjoy it all the more.

I don;t really watch much of anything we do. It's all pretty brainless if you ask me. :ph34r:

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

[Monk is a TV series that one of our producers does. It stars Tony Shaloub as a detective who is odd to say the least.

Now there's an actor who would be a great foil as a Corsair for Johnny Depp's Captain Jack Sparrow. That is, of course, if Geoffrey isn't available.

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

[Monk is a TV series that one of our producers does. It stars Tony Shaloub as a detective who is odd to say the least.

Now there's an actor who would be a great foil as a Corsair for Johnny Depp's Captain Jack Sparrow. That is, of course, if Geoffrey isn't available.

Ooooh.... Capt'n Johnny will have PLEANTY to keep him busy, belive me.

:ph34r:

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Ye'll beat me to it, Charity. Feel free to mention it on the Lost Soul of Barbossa chat list. :)

Aye... one of the Deleted Scenes on the DVD where Elizabeth & Norrington are talking just after she accepts his proposal after she asked Norrington to rescue Will as a wedding gift. When she & Norrington were talking, she called Norrington... James.

As to Barbossa, aye, heard that on the comentary by Johnny about Jack teasing Barbossa about his first name being Hector.

Actually, Hector is a fantastic first name being as it's Greek meaning "Hold fast". I think it's just absolutely befitting & perfect. As well as it reminds one of the great commander Prince Hector of Troy. Umm, no real reference to the recent movie.

Well... luckily, we won't ask the full names of all the rest of the characters, Bess! :(

Thank you so very much for all the info.

:(:( "Monk"... odd? :( He acts like one of the family! Seriously! I swear my family could be the next "island" for Survivor!

:(

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

I've only heard it mentioned as James. Hmmm.... :ph34r:

Johnny Depp teased Geoffrey on the set, calling him Hector. So even tho, it's never mentioned in the movie, it just fits for Barbossa. ;) I like the mystery with just the last name tho. ;)

Hon If your first name was Hector wouldn't you prerfer to be called Barbossa? I know he's a hero in the Illiad but it'd still a geeky name!

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

"Odd" does not even begin to describe "Monk", Bess. :ph34r:

But it is a good show; which is saying a lot in today's bleak TV landscape.

I LOVE that show!

I watched the *Chunkof Monk* Marathon all day Sunday!!

(Wipe!)

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

I don;t really watch much of anything we do. It's all pretty brainless if you ask me

But those are often the most fun!

I love silly humor, like mr Bean, no brains there are all but it's hilarious :ph34r:

Ye'll beat me to it, Charity. Feel free to mention it on the Lost Soul of Barbossa chat list

Oki Doki, i will ;)

hero.jpg

I have the deepest sympathy for people who share their last names with popular movie characters. My real last name is most unfortunate.

I share the exact last name with a freakishly popular 1980's serial killer who inhabited the dreams of teenagers.

Here's the kicker, my grandfather's name was Freddie Krueger. True story. "Nightmare on Elmstreet" came out in 1982??? To this day, I am still the brunt of jokes and strange looks. Go figure... over 22+ years later.

I would imagin that anybody who has Barbossa as a last name will suffer the same fate. :lol:

Edited post to say:

AVAST!! I have a brilliant idea...I will start a "People Who Have Infamous Last Names Support Group" It will be HUGE!!! ;)

I will open my doors to all Barbossas, Kruegers, Turners, Sparrows, Bundys....