Storms a' brewin'!

Master Sully

Here's hoping that the Tortuga Mutineers and all the other Pirate crews, friends, and families in the Keys stay safe and dry from ol' Hurricane Charley. The same goes for all you Buccaneers in the Gulf with Bonnie breathing down on ya'll. Batten down the hatches good!

"Remember, on a pirate ship, in pirate waters, in a pirate world, ask no questions. Believe only what you see. No, believe half of what you see."... Burt Lancaster

iiiiii.jpg

DUM SPIRO SPERO... WHILE I BREATH, I HOPE

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dances down the beach..Whee Storms a comin..Anyone up for a little party..Hurricane parties are the best..ok this is weird but I LOVE storms..just something in the air that seems to energize me

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

I understand that feeling completely! There's something dynamic about a coming storm. I've seen my share of flooding and hurricane related damage, but there's still something about them that I find, as you said, energizing!

However, as I said, I've seen my share of hurriane damage (I missed MD Renfest last year because of Isabel) so I hope these two do little to no harm.

Blackjohn

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Aye Siren, iffn ye a citizen of the republic of ole florida then ye be a knowin all about thee hurricane party. Water and basic supplies have been selling off the shelves like mad. All I want is me favorite cocktail to keep me adrift.

:lol:

hdgene sadly I have never been to Florida..im in the gulf..The great lone star state..But closer to the hill county than my beloved coast where I practically spent every summer..Wither crystal beach riding horses on the beach or in Galveston..But I miss the hurricane parties here..

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Key west is starting to batten down. all touristy type folks have to leave the islands. we are under a mandatory evacuation for non residents. predicting the eye will come within 30 miles of our lovely little island. The fun will be starting tomorrow afternoon. i will be drinking many a toasts to those lost in hurricanes past starting tomorrow night.

:lol::lol:

hurricane party it is!!!

Key west pirate

deadly aim

pil'-lag-ing

It's like looting, but the shopkeeper is watching from behind some hastily contrived shelter.

Rum Wench - Pyrates of the Coast

The only good thing about these storms is that THE SURF'S UP!!!!! and my stick is going to get wet ripping some big waves!

"Remember, on a pirate ship, in pirate waters, in a pirate world, ask no questions. Believe only what you see. No, believe half of what you see."... Burt Lancaster

iiiiii.jpg

DUM SPIRO SPERO... WHILE I BREATH, I HOPE

The only good thing about these storms is that THE SURF'S UP!!!!! and my stick is going to get wet ripping some big waves!

Second that!!! But, I'm too far away....damn the luck. Gotta promise to give Doc and I a full report, bra.

Privateer & Commander of "Finnegan's Wake"

Faodaidh fearg sealltainn a strigh air cridh an duine ghlic, ach comhnaichdh i an amadain.

(Anger may look in on a wise man's heart, but it abides in the heart of a fool.)

Dances down the beach..Whee Storms a comin..Anyone up for a little party..Hurricane parties are the best..ok this is weird but I LOVE storms..just something in the air that seems to energize me

True, true...

Some of the most powerful magick's can be worked in the midst of a storm.

Love 'em says I!! :unsure:

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

For the likes of me I can't understand why people pay $3 for a gallon of bottled water (insert exquisite brand name) when they can go outside a Publix, Food World (etc), and fill up a gallon jug for thirty cents at a vending machine (reverse osmosis and the works). Heck, a little shopping and I located two 2 gallon jugs fer just $1.90 each (already filled with nice clean treated water). The tap water here is too heavily chlorinated for my liking.

Since I don't partake of rum anymore (or any other alcohol), I stocked up the larger with ye Mountain Dew spinoff ("Citris Hit") and various other goodies for the relatives.

If I'm lucky my copy of Osprey's "Pirates" will be in, along with the DVD "Cutthroat Island" (hey gimme a break, it's two hours of piracy) before the Bonnie lass makes landfall. I may even break down and get my very own copy of POTC (returned copy to brother across town) early tomorrow before the winds pickup.

Here's hoping that our pirate brethren in other parts of the state of FL (and elsewhere) don't endure much damage.

Yours, &c.

Mike

Try these for starters- "A General History of the Pyrates" edited by Manuel Schonhorn, "Captured by Pirates" by John Richard Stephens, and "The Buccaneers of America" by Alexander Exquemelin.

Magic Iron Bess? Hmm perhaps I should have been a sorceress instead of a mere Siren..That sounds appealing...Isnt it Irish folklore that has a woman conjuring a raging stallion from stormy seas..or something to that effect?

Magic Iron Bess? Hmm perhaps I should have been a sorceress instead of a mere Siren..That sounds appealing...Isnt it Irish folklore that has a woman conjuring a raging stallion from stormy seas..or something to that effect?

Speaking as a Celt who can trace her family back to when they were called tribes.... you are thinking of the Sea God Mannanon perhaps? His horses rose from the foam of the waves to carry him in his chariot.

Mmmmm... magick. Sea Magick. It's why I am moving to Carmel by the Sea in two years.

We have a rather nice *clan* there.

Keeps an eye on the tides they do. :)

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

*sighs* I wish i was going as well. I miss the sea..I miss the storms..As for the story im not sure..the stallion was gray and named Taran. So it could be..But supposedly it could only be summoned from the sea by a woman.

Hmmmm.... I'm not familiar witht hat name so I'll ask about for ye. Do you recall if it were a sea maid or forest water sprite??

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

<So Bess, you're makin' the move up north to the Montery area?

My brother use to live there until marriage ended. He just bought a house in some place called Aptos, near Santa Cruz. But he still works in Salinas.>

Sorry, I admit I'm not up on the lore of stuff, (ok whip me with a wet noodle), can't help you out.

As for hurricanes, I'm glad I don't live on east coast. You people have to deal with them every year! Here on the west coast we only get earthquakes once in a while.

Tell me, as it floods all the time in Florida areas, do you people all have throw-away furniture? Seems like the furniture companies are making a mint there!

Rumba Rue

**West coast gal to the end!** :rolleyes:

Been here on the NC Coast for a second year in a row. Season already started for us last month! And I live about 15 minutes from the beach and about 5 minutes from the ICW.

I can't understand those water prices in Florida! Last year you could buy 6 gals of water for $1.50 at Food Lion two days before the storm hit. But you couldn't find a battery anywhere in town. It was even on the news about the lack of batteries.

Oh, by the way. This is my first post. :)

My brother use to live there until marriage ended. He just bought a house in some place called Aptos, near Santa Cruz. But he still works in Salinas.>

As for hurricanes, I'm glad I don't live on east coast. You people have to deal with them every year! Here on the west coast we only get earthquakes once in a while.

Rumba Rue

**West coast gal to the end!** :rolleyes:

I've been to Aptos. Cool little town. Nice beach. Ye need to go visit sometime.

Hey, we get hurricanes on the West Coast. They usually come up the Baja and sometimes veer over into Arizona. Don't last long much from there. Desert soaks up all their moisture. Although I think they are called typhoons because the come off the coast of Japan.

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

<So Bess, you're makin' the move up north to the Montery area?

Yes indeedy!

As we speak... the Mitchell-Group real estate co is looking at the homes we may be interested in. Look up Carmel by the Sea and or Pebble Beach, that is where I will be landing.

Mmmmmmmm... think of the Pirate Parties!!

You know it would be worth the drive! :rolleyes:

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Oh, by the way. This is my first post. :)

If'n this be yer first post mate then best haul yer kesster over the the first section of this site and introduce yer self right and proper!!

After all... the drinks will be on YOU when you do!! :rolleyes:

Go to the heading of Initiation rites and Pub Management.... make yer introductions there...

Welcome aboard! :)

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

There's few nicer places to move than the Monterey peninsula. I'm hoping to get an internship there next summer doing oceanographic research and automated video system development. Plus, when ye move, ye'll be nice and close t' all o' the Tales folk!

Here's hopin' the hurricane isn't battering FL too bad.

Iron Bess Thank ye for yer help..I tried to find the book again to no avial..The Woman was a mortal and could only be mortal to summon the water stallion. At least according to that book..But you know as well as i do that lore gets twisted. So your version would probably be more correct than mine. But the stallions name was definitely Taran..May be short for a longer name. As for the hurrican..it's been a while since we had a good one..We got hit by Hurrican Bonnie a while back and it was a doozy. And it looks like this one is creeping up on our coast. All ye pirates in Florida..Batten down yer hatches...

Iron Bess Thank ye for yer help..I tried to find the book again to no avial..The Woman was a mortal and could only be mortal to summon the water stallion. At least according to that book..But you know as well as i do that lore gets twisted. So your version would probably be more correct than mine. But the stallions name was definitely Taran..May be short for a longer name.

Water horses are very prevalent in the Isles... and they are shape shifters ino the bargan as well.

I'll check with my family in Lough Mask, maybe they remember.

:lol:

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Aye. Storms be a powerful thing. In more ways than one. Last hurricane we had up RI way was Bob. I were a wee thing o' about five then, but I remember very well. Loved it. Since then we 'ad a few close calls. Mostly though we just gets a strongish southerly wind some rain, an' a tropical dampness wot makes yer hair curl. Not that mine needs it B) But truly there's sommat magical an' energisin abou' storms. Methinks tis all the anticipation.