Fabrics for garb

Since I er... left my wench garb at Comic-con, I have to scramble to get a new one made before the next faire, the Big Bear faire.

I have multiple patterns of what I want, but now I need to know what kinds of fabric to use. I don't want anything synthetic, I need it historically accurate (kind of) and BREATHABLE. Bloody damn hot at faires, I need some air!

What materials did wenches normally use for bodices, for chemises and skirts? I know I'm looking at natural weaves... is linen okay for one or everything?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Captain Wolfy Wench

Hello Captain,

I don't really know anything about wench garb. But I've been doing historical clothing for a long time and perhaps I can give you some advice.

Linen is absolutely the best fabric you can use. Number one, as you mentioned, it's a natural fibre. Number two, the long fibre length of flax (the plant linen comes from) causes linen to stand away from the body a bit. That way when you get sweaty, it allows air to get between your clothing and you, cooling you off. Cotton, although a natural fibre too, tends to stick to the body when wet, so it feels icky when you're hot.

But if for some reason you can't use linen for everything, at least make sure your chemise is linen. Having linen next to the skin is ideal. Here's a great place to plunder for linen.

Hope that helps.

Kass

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

Anything in cotton is good. Don't use bright colors. Nuterals are best. For skirts, try a not too heavy cotton duct (it will hold up quite nicely over the years) if doing gored skirt type. If not and just gathering material at waist, use something lighter weight.

Did you leave your costume in your hotel room? If so, call the hotel and ask. There should be a lost and found and if there, they can probably mail it back to you.

If you left it at the con itself, it's gone.

I'll send you a PM.

Rumba Rue

**I'd rather be in a boat with a drink on the rocks, then on the rocks with a boat in the drink** :ph34r:

Yeah linen is the best fabric but can be pricey. Because it is cool it's best for fair's and such.

You could try what I just learned using muslin.You will be creating heirloom fabric and it's really cool.

1. Cut out the pattern piece, sparay it wirh wash-out fabric stiffner.

2. If you can it's best to use a double winged needle, I just thread the 1st thread to the right of the tension and the 2nd to the left. Use a 2 ply white thread in the top and bopbbin thread in the bottom (make sure the thread you use in the bobbin says it is bobbin thread). I use Mettler thread (keeps your machine cleaner and doesn't ball up or shread as much. Top tension should be the default and so should the bottom. Use a stright stitch.

3. Using a washable maker make the first line. Now sew on line in the fabric to the end.

4. This is the tricky part so go slowly until you get the feel. Turn the fabric until you can sew back the way you came. One of your needles will still be in the last hole. Sew back to the other side.

5. So the first row will look like this (as you face your machine):

...................... Left needle

...................... Right needle

The second will look like this:

...................... Was the right now is the left needle

...................... Right needle

NOTE: the second row only shows a total of 3 rows. Let's assume you turned the material so that the needle is on the left. You must make sure the needle (in this example the left one) goes in the previously sewn hole to the left.

It is a great way to make the pattern and fabric your own, it is heirloom sewing at it's easiest. If the directions are too dificult to understand or you have problems please email me and I'll try to help.

I enjoy taking the fabric and turning it into something no one else has. Muslin is cheep and easy to work with just use wash-out fabric stiffner and it becomes easy to work with. you can die it. and it frey's for fringe too.

Hope this helps. :)

What materials did wenches normally use for bodices, for chemises and skirts? I know I'm looking at natural weaves... is linen okay for one or everything?

Linen is great for everything. You can't go wrong with it. Well... you could, I've had some fine linen shirts disintegrate on me with a year of heavy wear. But that's what I get for wearing a fine linen shirt into battle! Of course, now it makes a really good pirate shirt if I want to look like I've been marooned.

Blackjohn

ps - wool is good too! Nothing beats wool for giving you that extra needed warmth in the summer! :D

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Surprisingly enough, I've found great buys on linen cloths at Wal-Mart!

I picked up 6 yards of nuteral a few months back for $1.99 a yard compared to 6.99 at JoAnns!

Got a Wal-Mart nearby, check them out for good buys on materials!

Rumba Rue

**We are the Best dressed Pirates around!** :rolleyes:

For bodices it is best to use two to three different fabrics. My ex makes bodices and I helped her with them for 3 years before we split. We're friends and I recomend her alot as she is a great seemstress. In her bodices you can still breath and move with adding 2 -3 cups sizes and reducing your waist by 2 inches. What we did was redesign the pattern and made them in true pattern sizes as opposed to S, M, L, & XL. As far as fabric choices you need to use a none two way stretch fabric. It can stretch one but not two. Carie's Bodices were reversable and used a heavier inner fabric. So pick a nice fabric and use a heavier fabric (even burlap) in between the layers as a "core" material.

--------------

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty well preserved piece without an even a kiss your hand, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, smelling of powder, shouting ARRRG!!"

sig1.jpg

I live in LA, where they hate Wal-mart. O_o But I hear of so many nice things about the fabrics there... that really is a steal!

Wal-Mart is where I get most of the fabric I use to make desinger/heirloom fabric out of. I usually only spend about 2-3 dollars per yard. Sometimes Jo-ann's has fabric on sale but you need to look for it. If you sign up for Joann's newsletter you get great discounts for the store. If you have a Handcocks near you they have great home dec fabric on sale most of the time, and that's what I use for a lot of my stuff. It can give you a very "english" look without a lot of the work. since my husband and i are magicians the heat held in by the garment is a consideration and Home Dec fabrics can give you the look with the weight.

Hope this helps. :)

I live in LA, where they hate Wal-mart. O_o But I hear of so many nice things about the fabrics there... that really is a steal!

there's one off the 91 just east of the 605. in Cerritos.

(in L.A. every thing is done by the freeway,s )

I live in LA, where they hate Wal-mart.

And for several good reasons, but I won't open that can o' snakes here. :lol: -- You're welcome --

There's a pretty good fabric outlet just down the street from the Citadel outlet complex, right off the 5 freeway:

Fabric Outlet

6001 Telegraph Rd

Los Angeles, CA 90040

(323) 728-1506

This is a favorite source for several of the Port Royal Privateers (who probably now hate me for giving away one of their favorite "secret" sources).

Melusine de la Mer

"Well behaved women rarely make history." - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich