Favorite Pirate Book

blackjohn

lessee... kinda hard now ta say. bein' as I've read so many. I gots ta say that Under the Black Flag an' A general history are excellent. The Pirate Hunter an' A Pirate o' Exquisite mind are on me list. Fer fiction I likes Pirates! by Celia Rees, an pyrates by George Macdonald Fraser is an absolute riot. :ph34r: I just picked up this book abou' pirates o' the New England Coast, an' me home state is mentioned right in the beginnin' fer bein' a pirate haven, 'specially the town cross the bay fra me, so that makes it excitin'. Good local histry wot has a wee bit o' irony in it, that book.

I went on a book buying binge thru Ebay a month or so ago.

I finished "Treasure Island" almost immeadiately. Loved it.

I finished Blackbeard "A reappraisal of his life and times. Loved it.

I am just starting "Under the Black Flag. I wanted to save what I thought would be the best for last.,so far this is pretty great. Loving it.

After its finished I will be reading "Terror on the high seas". Looking forward to it.

With all the software out there a really good book is a quite refreshing and welcomed change of pace.

These books are GREAT!!! Highly recomended.

:huh: HarborMaster B)

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

After completing Treasure Island by Stevenson, I want to get though some of my historical books, Under the Black Flag, and one of my favorites is Sodomy and the Pirate Tradition by Burg. Sorry, boys, I like... butt pirates. :ph34r:

Also, I want to get to Kidnapped, another Stevenson book about a boy who is kidnapped and escapes with a pirate. Looks very good, and was well recieved at the time he wrote it.

Captain Wolfy Wench

Kidnapped is absolutely amazing!!!! Definitely read it. Has to do more with Scotland than pirates. In fact, I've heard Stevenson himself liked Kidnapped better than Treasure Island. There's also The Master of Ballantrae, by the same author, which is very good, and involves pirates. I think I want to read that one again...

Currently I'm reading "The White Headhunter" by Nigel Randell. Here is Amazon's description:

In 1876, sailor Jack Renton was rescued from the Pacific island home of the headhunting Malaitans, after spending eight years in their captivity. His best-selling memoir of how he went from the slave of their chief, Kabou, to his most trusted warrior and adviser remains the only authenticated account of a Westerner’s "heart of darkness" journey. But his sensational story turns out to have glossed over the key events of his transformation. Renton's story began with being shanghaied in San Francisco, escaping from the ship in an open whaleboat, and drifting for two thousand miles across the Pacific before washing up on Malaita. Through subsequent generations, the Malaitans’ oral history has passed down detailed stories presenting a different version. Documentary filmmaker Nigel Randell spent seven years talking to the Malaitans to piece together this different account. The White Headhunter tells the story of a man who not only adopted their customs but did his best to prepare a people he had grown to love for the onslaught of Western civilization. He lives on in the Malaitans’ memory, his hut and weapons preserved as a shrine still visited by the islanders today.

--------------

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty well preserved piece without an even a kiss your hand, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, smelling of powder, shouting ARRRG!!"

sig1.jpg

My favorite is "Howard Pyle's Book of Pirates". I have an old edition from 1925 (it's enscribed from a father to his little boy on Christmas on the inside cover, with the date...really cute).

REDD.jpg

YARRR! The Oktober be silent now! Just call me "REDD!"

Aye, Redd! Howard Pyle rules!

Well, he and Wyeth.

But they rule!

Oh, and then there's...arrgh, forget it - back to the original thought:

Howard Pyle Rules!!!

Sir Nigel - aka "Sir Freelancealot"; aka "Ace of Cads"; aka "JACKPOT!!" (cha-CHING!)

"Mojitos BAD!...Lesbians with free rum GOOD!!!"

Well, he and Wyeth.

But they rule!

Howard Pyle Rules!!!

Aye indeed...I know I've mentioned this before...but I be sort of a long decendent of Pyle's (He taught a woman, who taught a guy, who taught a guy, who taught Norman Rockwell, who taught a guy, who taught a guy, who taught his daughter, who taught me how ter paint)...funny ol' world ain't it?

REDD.jpg

YARRR! The Oktober be silent now! Just call me "REDD!"

Well, he and Wyeth.

But they rule!

Howard Pyle Rules!!!

Agreed!

And if you love Howard Pyle, you would've loved the Howard Pyle Festival.

I should really try to resurrect that event.

Blackjohn

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

OMG Black John, I WENT to the very first HP Festival!! LOVED IT! I still got my pics, my Howard Pyle pirate shirt and more! (at least I think it was the first. Sept. of 2000, right?)

Ahhh those beautiful dunes of Cape Henlopen. And the Kalmar Nyckel is just about the best "pirate ship" a band of miscreants could hope for.

I tell ya, I'm moving back down to the Philly area in a month or so, so if you need help putting it back together for next summer, we should hook up. As an artist and pirate fanatic, I have the deepest respect for Pyle's work. He deserves a good party!

:lol:

newbannersigtar0db.gif

There were a festival!?! By the sweaty jowels o' Bartholemew Roberts! I'm sorry I never got ter go!

Aye, that there was... and not one, but two. Sadly, the second was on the weekend of 9/9 and 9/10. The weekend before 9/11. Talk about coming off of a high the hard way. Check out the pics on my site:

http://www.piratebrethren.com/gallery

Blackjohn

My Home on the Web

OMG Black John, I WENT to the very first HP Festival!! LOVED IT! I still got my pics, my Howard Pyle pirate shirt and more! (at least I think it was the first. Sept. of 2000, right?)

Ahhh those beautiful dunes of Cape Henlopen. And the Kalmar Nyckel is just about the best "pirate ship" a band of miscreants could hope for.

I tell ya, I'm moving back down to the Philly area in a month or so, so if you need help putting it back together for next summer, we should hook up. As an artist and pirate fanatic, I have the deepest respect for Pyle's work. He deserves a good party!

:lol:

I couldn't agree with you more!!!

You have pics!!! Let ME see!!!

Yes, HP 1 was in 2000. There was going to be an HP 3 in 2002 but something unravelled. I'll ask around and let you know if anyone seems interested.

Blackjohn

My Home on the Web