Ye Adventures o' Long John Silver

JoshuaRed

So I finally found this 2 DVD set at Best Buy after a month stakeout. What a steal at 5.99! 13 out of the total 26 episodes of The Adventures of Long John Silver! Each one about a half hour, full color. Poor quality though. Not the dvd, but just the fact that it is early 1950's TV and was never intended to be preserved or restored by it's creators. Robert Newton continues to be a joy to behold as our likable scalywag.

Unfortunately, as it was for tv, the budget was smaller. Hence, there are precious few seafarin' scenes. (and those that are, are models) Instead, 90% of the episodes occur on the fictional island of "Porto Bello" which the creators placed just northeast of Cuba in the Bahamas. John and his crew are freelancing privateers for the English, and spend most of their time carousing in Miss Purity Parker's "Cask & Anchor" Tavern on the waterfront. Jim Hawkins is there too, who is mysteriously an orphan now, and has come to Porto Bello to live under Long John's care. :huh: What about his fortune in Flint's treasure??

The show really plays up Long John's "heart o' gold" aspect, and frequently he gets sucked into doing the right thing to save the town, or to save foreclosure on Purity's inn, etc. Typical 1950's fare.

But don't let this deter you. Trust me, it's WELL worth the mere 6 bucks for this collection of formerly lost TV history. Just the show intro alone is worth it. Ha-Harrr mateys!!

Personal favorite cheese-factor: The Christmas Episode, where John and Jim give the orphans of Porto Bello a real Christmas at the Cask & Anchor, and they help melt the icy heart of the once-cruel lady that runs the orphanage. :huh: How DID they get a fine Douglas Fir to the Bahamas unscathed? How DID they learn about 19th century Christmas festivities in the mid 1700s? How DID they get a complete 20th century Santa costume to amuse the orphans with?? :huh:

newbannersigtar0db.gif

Dunno 'bout most 'o the questions, but I've stumbled across some fine fir trees in S.E. Asian jungles, and on Pacific islands, so I can't discount seed oddities..Thor Heyerdahl on several of his explorations; Fatu Hiva, Kon Tiki, and the 'Ra', proved well that seeds will end up in the most illogical of locations.........

Ya lucky ol' sea dog! Not easy to come about items like that in big name place such as Best Buy, Sam Goody, or other establisments of the sort.

I've been wanting to see it for years! FINALLY got to see the movie version over a month ago. Had Silver pitted against another pirate named Mendoza ... :lol: personal amusement.

Now.. did I see that correctly... Jim Hawkins was becoming attatched to the young daughter of the Governor? :lol: I thought that to be amusing as well.

One I would LOVE to see again.. has the late Bob Hope in it.. "The Princess & the Pirate". I enjoyed that one greatly.

Supposedly some classics are supposed to be out... like "Pirates of Tortuga" or "A High Wind in Jamaica".. but every time I go in to search for them or order them... no one has means to get a hold of them. Rather disappointed there, mates. Granted, I REALLY don't want to order a lot online.

Oh, well....

But.... Robert Newton is always a treat to watch. No matter what film he is in.

<_<

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

LadyB, I'm fairly certain you'll find ol' Long John at any Best Buy. Huzzah!

Here's wot ye do: Go to the DVD area, find the 5.99 or less shelf, and it's right there under "L".

Why, I heard about it on this very board from at least two other people who got theirs the same way from other Best Buys around the country...so at this point I'd say it's worth looking into, matey!

newbannersigtar0db.gif

Personal favorite cheese-factor: The Christmas Episode, where John and Jim give the orphans of Porto Bello a real Christmas at the Cask & Anchor, and they help melt the icy heart of the once-cruel lady that runs the orphanage. <_< How DID they get a fine Douglas Fir to the Bahamas unscathed? How DID they learn about 19th century Christmas festivities in the mid 1700s? How DID they get a complete 20th century Santa costume to amuse the orphans with?? :lol:

Now you STOP THAT!!! :lol:

You'll be after ruining the magic!!! :)

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Here we go again. You want realism from a 1950's TV show? If you want realism, go play with SCA. You must have taken a film analysis class in college. Education will do things like that to you.

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

Don't take my lighthearted rant the wrong way now, I LOVE cheesy 1950s tv. But this xmas episode had me rolling on the floor. It's over the top even for the 50s!

Of course I won't take your rantings the wrong way. I just be yanking your chain a bit myself. :rolleyes:

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

Congratulations :)

That's a good buy indeed.

I'm sad to say i've never seen the series, i cannot remember ever hearing of this here in Holland.

I've got some movies coming to myself though.

Enjoy them :)

hero.jpg

Thank ye! I'll be lookin' there soon enough. :P

I would LOVE to get my paws upon "Blackbeard the Pirate" with Robert Newton. But looks like I will only be able to get it online. :P

Ahhh, yes... film class in college. & Theater was always so enjoyable as well. :lol: I guess, I can't really complain too much... at least I know a little of what I am talking about when debating with another film buff. Which was my boss at the IMAX... Ooooo, that was some interesting debating there. <_<

:lol:

I got Blackbeard the Pirate on VHS a few years ago, from a video rental store. They also are worth checking out sometimes, as they often have bins full of previously viewed movies for sale cheap. I think I got Blackbeard for 3 bucks, Jackie Cooper/Wallace Beery Treasure Island for a few bucks, as well as The Black Swan for 4 bucks.

newbannersigtar0db.gif

Well... I got it. Found it at Best Buy... like ya said.. bought it.. & watched several of the episode... up to... ship o' the dead, I believe.

I'd like to get "Blackbeard the Pirate".

I admit... I like Disney's "Blackbeard's Ghost". Rather amusing. I read a book titled "Blackbeard's Ghost", it was somewhat similiar to the Disney film.. but dealt with 2 teenage boys. The book was funny. Wish I could find it again. I want it.

I'd like to see all the old pirate films like "The Sea Hawk", Black Swan", etc... :; le sigh:: oh, well...

But I will ALWAYS LOVE "The Goonies"!!! :D

:blink:

I note that Amazon.com has Long John Silver Vol 1 & 2 for like $5 or so each... You suppose all 26 episodes are available? As Best Buy doesn't exist in our part of the US (actually nothing much in the way of anything is anywhere near here...) I can't go look. Amazon says it'll take 3 or more weeks to get them...

Just a thought.

:rolleyes:

I just watched a movie, the sequel on Treasure Island, it's a two feature dvd.

I have to say, it's just too comic for me, i love the more rough&tough movies like Cutthroat Island.

Anyone have a tip on more movies like that? :)

hero.jpg