Hats

Arr sorry for waiting until the last minute fer this, real life and kid school projects be getting in the way of me ship and pub duties here.

For those of you that be looking to make less serious pirate hats for Hallareen, here be a couple of ideas that be costing $5. - $10. if it not be to late to find the materials.

For instance I be finding some summer like straw hats on clearance at Wal-Mart for a dollar each.

cheapStraw10232003a.jpg

After I be removing the cord that wraps it's self around the crown, I bent up the sides and back brims, stitching them to the crown with some leather laces.

cheapStraw10232003d.jpg

Be warned, they can become a bit floppy like the best of us, even if they be taken cared of and loved to death like in the case of this poor hat.

cheapStraw10232003c.jpg

So if you be wanting some thing to be lasting a bit longer, it’s probably best to just go with felt. . .

I went to the local Five n’ Dime junk store and bought a felt hobo type costume hat for $5. bucks. It has a couple holes in it and originally had a brightly colored orange foam patch stapled to it. I took off the patch and steamed the felt for a long while. Then I stretched it over a small head size bowl shape, the hat was really small.

seaSparrow10232003a.jpg

Once it be a wearable size, I pulled up the sides and back using clothespins to make sure that the shape was roughly what I be after.

seaSparrow10232003b.jpg

seaSparrow10232003c.jpg

Once I was happy with the height of the back and side of the brims it was time to stich them to the crown. I hadn’t really need much more than a pencil for the straw hats but felt is a bit tougher so I grabbed a screwdriver and punched through, both the brim and the crown, making holes for the laces. “KIDS DON’T TRY THIS AT HOME”

seaSparrow10232003d.jpg

Then it be just a matter of threading the leather lace through the newly punched holes in brim and crown.

seaSparrow10232003e.jpg

Put a feather in 'is cap and call it macaroni.

seaSparrow10232003f.jpg

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye, that be mighty fine hat work, considering what you had to work with. I really like the last one. That's a great idea. I never thought about stretching an old felt hat like that.

And I see you kept a remnant of the poor swab who used to own the hat...just fer modeling purposes. Heh!

:ph34r:

Capt. WE Roberts

"I shall uphold my indignity with the utmost dignity befitting a person of my undignified station."

nice illustrated tutorial

...er...I mean...AARRRRRRRRRRRRR!!! good hats!

Capt Weaver

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned. A man in jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company. "

Dr. Samuel Johnson

Capt Weaver's Pirate Perversions

Arrr Stynky, ye be a pirate after me own heart - resourceful and economical.

I purchased a Cavelier hat from them thar Spirit stores ($12.99). It be having a piece o'velcro ter hold up one side. I be shiftin' the brim around and pullin' it up ter make a tricorn. A couple o'staples on each side and "viola" - pirate hat!

An when I wants ter be Musketeer, then alls I has ter do is let the brim down again. :(

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.

Arr mateys, thank you everyone for all the kind words. Though it not be the other tricorne steam and shape tutorial that I mentioned some pages back, but I had these sitting around and figured I’d share the pictures before it be to late for some to enjoy ‘em.

And WOW Captain Westyn Elizabeth Roberts, that new hat and avatar of yours is amazing! (drool) I want to see some better close up pictures, it doesn't look like I'm going to make your wedding.

Arrrrrgh......so many grand hats!

I finished my first tricorn just last month, complete with plumage. Now that was quite the adventure in "how to curl an osterich plume". Answer: curling iron....but only heat up the back side of the spine, and curl with your hands. It be a grand hat now! Currently, it shares the space of my hotel room, whilst I'm down here in the San Diego area for the Cedar Fire. There's something about wearing it whilst pillaging and cavortin' around this forum. B)B)

Captain of The Morrighan.

Ok, didn't read all the posts but this is a good source for hat blanks.

--------------

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty well preserved piece without an even a kiss your hand, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, smelling of powder, shouting ARRRG!!"

sig1.jpg

Arr buried in the depth of this hellish hat thread, Lady MacSnood has been mentioned once or twice before. But there be no harm in mentioning it again, this thread has been going on fer a while mat, and there be way to much to keep up with. Plus she be having some new pictures posted since the last time I visited anyway.

Arrr, I found me a good hat maker in me hometown of Scottsdale, AZ. He be postin a hat on Ebay that went fur over $300. I thinks his prices might be going down after Halloween. Looks like he did a fine job.86_1.JPG

Here be the url to his ebay pages if yur be interestin.

http://cgi2.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?...k&userid=user19

~Tori

Like any unmanned ship, a novice sailor will eventually steer into the wind and then in circles.

anybody got any new hats ta show ?

or mebee tel us about

Just got a new suede hat. It's more of a musketeer style (I'm going for ye buccaneer look) with one side turned up. But it's a nice brown suede with brown and green ostrich plumes and a pheasant feather. It's an Excalibur Leather hat. Got it off Ebay for a pittance! Pics coming soon!

Here's Luck,

Broadside

Well, mateys, here are the promised pics of me new hat. Hope ye like it!

nov10_23.jpg

nov10_31.jpg

Broadside

Every normal person must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats! - Lucanus

• 1 month later...

Since this seems to be the designated area for hat chatter, I thought I'd post here to talk about my hat. I got the blank from Jastown. I wanted a working hat, plus I'm very impatinet sometimes, so I didn't trim it, because That would involve me going to the store and I have a bit of a bug and don't like to leave the house. The shaping went well, and I'm going to try to get some emu feathers from the farm near my parents house. I'm now ready for a dressy hat, and should be working on one in the future.

<_<

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Since this seems to be the designated area for hat chatter, I thought I'd post here to talk about my hat. I got the blank from Jastown. I wanted a working hat, plus I'm very impatinet sometimes, so I didn't trim it, because That would involve me going to the store and I have a bit of a bug and don't like to leave the house. The shaping went well, and I'm going to try to get some emu feathers from the farm near my parents house. I'm now ready for a dressy hat, and should be working on one in the future.

Be sure to post some pictures mate!

Arrrr!

Broadside

Every normal person must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats! - Lucanus

The costumer who made my black leather tricorn is brillliant. It has a dome top (not the cheesy bucket top like some hats on ebay) and a wire so that you can custom shape the brim (which I spent a lot of time playing with - very handy.)

Her name is Joanne and she runs Costumes Period in Auburn, WA.

Her website url is:

http://members.aol.com/dressmup/

and her email is

DressMup@aol.com

If you contact her ragarding a hat or costuming, please be sure to mention that Nigel referred you.

She is also brilliant in all aspects of costuming, fast, friendly, her work is downright gorgeous!

I can upload some pix from Key West to show as samples if ya like.

Sir Nigel - aka "Sir Freelancealot"; aka "Ace of Cads"; aka "JACKPOT!!" (cha-CHING!)

"Mojitos BAD!...Lesbians with free rum GOOD!!!"

BTW, I mean no offense to wearers of bucket style crowns, I just think they don't make for a good 'tricorn' style, that's all. A tricorn with a bucket crown always looked like a misshapen cowboy hat to me. I had a traumatic experience with a cowboy hats as a child. I dinna wanna talk about it. I gotta go now.

Sir Nigel - aka "Sir Freelancealot"; aka "Ace of Cads"; aka "JACKPOT!!" (cha-CHING!)

"Mojitos BAD!...Lesbians with free rum GOOD!!!"

Arr sorry for waiting until the last minute fer this, real life and kid school projects be getting in the way of me ship and pub duties here.

For those of you that be looking to make less serious pirate hats for Hallareen, here be a couple of ideas that be costing $5. - $10. if it not be to late to find the materials.

For instance I be finding some summer like straw hats on clearance at Wal-Mart for a dollar each.

cheapStraw10232003a.jpg

After I be removing the cord that wraps it's self around the crown, I bent up the sides and back brims, stitching them to the crown with some leather laces.

cheapStraw10232003d.jpg

Be warned, they can become a bit floppy like the best of us, even if they be taken cared of and loved to death like in the case of this poor hat.

cheapStraw10232003c.jpg

So if you be wanting some thing to be lasting a bit longer, it’s probably best to just go with felt. . .

I went to the local Five n’ Dime junk store and bought a felt hobo type costume hat for $5. bucks. It has a couple holes in it and originally had a brightly colored orange foam patch stapled to it. I took off the patch and steamed the felt for a long while. Then I stretched it over a small head size bowl shape, the hat was really small.

seaSparrow10232003a.jpg

Once it be a wearable size, I pulled up the sides and back using clothespins to make sure that the shape was roughly what I be after.

seaSparrow10232003b.jpg

seaSparrow10232003c.jpg

Once I was happy with the height of the back and side of the brims it was time to stich them to the crown. I hadn’t really need much more than a pencil for the straw hats but felt is a bit tougher so I grabbed a screwdriver and punched through, both the brim and the crown, making holes for the laces. “KIDS DON’T TRY THIS AT HOME”

seaSparrow10232003d.jpg

Then it be just a matter of threading the leather lace through the newly punched holes in brim and crown.

seaSparrow10232003e.jpg

Put a feather in 'is cap and call it macaroni.

seaSparrow10232003f.jpg

OMFG that's a great idea!!!

Pushing the limits means getting out of my comfort zone and giving more when I don't think I have any left.

Duchess, I love your sig quote . . .

Yayyyayyyyyy Excalibur Leather!!!! A great company to deal with; I can't recommend them highly enough. If anybody here is looking for a good pirate hat, go for it. They aren't taking any new orders until after Christmas -- but believe me, they're well worth the wait of a few weeks.

I am now "Captain Charlotte Savvy." Sorry for any confusion -- I'll only be making this user-name change this once! :)

Aye Thank you. It speaks to my way of living...

Excalibur has a booth at the local Ren faire. I've been a purveyor of their goods for nearly ten years. Though the quality is such I've only bought one of each thing. Unless those things be gloves an then I've a pair o' thingys. woops.... :)

The Duchess

Kinflum has a store on Ebay that might be worth looking at. The hats are very detailed, a little flamboyant, but that could be the look you are after. Nonetheless, very striking and AFFORDABLE.

"Remember, on a pirate ship, in pirate waters, in a pirate world, ask no questions. Believe only what you see. No, believe half of what you see."... Burt Lancaster

iiiiii.jpg

DUM SPIRO SPERO... WHILE I BREATH, I HOPE

"Broadside" Long, that hat is amazing!

Did you get it from a regular vender on ebay or was it just a lucky chance find?

It was a lucky find, mate Stynky! Somebody bought it I think and just didn't want it anymore.

Duchess,

Aye, it is an Excalibur Leather hat as I mentioned in me original post.

Arrrr!

Broadside