History Channel Program "Lost City of Pirates"

Wartooth

Last night on History Channel International, a show aired about Port Royal and its debauchery and destruction. I had thought by reading the description that it would delve a bit into the history of the pirate city and then go deeper into the marine archaeology aspect. However, it was narrated by Leonard Nimoy and spent 90% of the program on rumors and myths of the pirates in that area. They had four "experts" on with interviews. Two out of the four were interesting to listen to. The others were flaky and opinionated.

In fact, one of the authors interviewed (Jennifer Marx) claimed that pirates dressed in outrageously colorful silks, because most were dandies and gay. She proceeded to explain that homosexuality was rampant aboard ships. :angry: Also explained that the reason Mary Reade and Anne Bonny were able to get away with hiding their genders was due to the fact that all the male pirates on board were extremely young and naive. Please.

Anyway, if it airs again, it was worth watching most parts ... as long as you filter out opinions. The title of the program was "Lost City Of Pirates".

Wartooth

Cool, I like HCI. Only ones showing Hornblower right now. I'll keep an eye out for this one.

--------------

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty well preserved piece without an even a kiss your hand, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, smelling of powder, shouting ARRRG!!"

sig1.jpg

In fact, one of the authors interviewed (Jennifer Marx) claimed that pirates dressed in outrageously colorful silks, because most were dandies and gay. She proceeded to explain that homosexuality was rampant aboard ships. <_< Also explained that the reason Mary Reade and Anne Bonny were able to get away with hiding their genders was due to the fact that all the male pirates on board were extremely young and naive. Please.

Anyway, if it airs again, it was worth watching most parts ... as long as you filter out opinions. The title of the program was "Lost City Of Pirates".

Wartooth

Sounds like someone has read too much Berg. There were gay pirates but the vast majority were straight. As to wearing silks and dressing like dandies well if part of your share of booty includes fine clothes you're going to wear them! Curse the sumpturary laws! :lol:

I didn't see the program and I don't recall seeeing it in the cable gudie last night. Maybe it will show again and I can give you a better assesment on how good it is. Not all the HC & HCI are badly made documentaries. The recent Kidd one was quiet good.

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

Sounds like someone has read too much Berg. There were gay pirates but the vast majority were straight. As to wearing silks and dressing like dandies well if part of your share of booty includes fine clothes you're going to wear them! Curse the sumpturary laws! :lol:

I agree. What some historians tend to ignore is the fact that in most tribal cultures and communities (of which a pirate ship would certainly be included), dressing in finery was more of a "Hey, look at me ... I'm better than you!" statement. Look at the various germanic tribes, mongol hordes, native indian tribes, etc. The strongest and best warriors tended to dress more vibrantly and elaborately. Same in nature. The male birds with the most colorful and flamboyant plumage wins the wenches ... errr ... female birds. <_<

Wartooth

Sounds like someone has read too much Berg.  There were gay pirates but the vast majority were straight.  As to wearing silks and dressing like dandies well if part of your share of booty includes fine clothes you're going to wear them! Curse the sumpturary laws! :lol:

I agree. What some historians tend to ignore is the fact that in most tribal cultures and communities (of which a pirate ship would certainly be included), dressing in finery was more of a "Hey, look at me ... I'm better than you!" statement. Look at the various germanic tribes, mongol hordes, native indian tribes, etc. The strongest and best warriors tended to dress more vibrantly and elaborately. Same in nature. The male birds with the most colorful and flamboyant plumage wins the wenches ... errr ... female birds. <_<

Wartooth

The 17th through 18th centuiries flambouancy in male dress was the rule! Acting foppish was fashionable! It wasn't a reflection on a man's sexuality. :)

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

• 2 weeks later...

Bein' a larger than "average' man, I kin tells ye that ye wears what ye kin find what fits. If'n it be bright an' shiny, oh well.

Reminds me of claims that the USSR was providing the IRA with weapons because of a photo of a cadre with AK's and RPG's.

The IRA claimed that the Russians must be suppling the Afgans with weapons because of a picture of a Muhajadin with an RPG's and AK's.

Ye use what ye kin get!

Evil Tiny

I'm not really evil...oh wait...yes I am!

Discipline is on the severe side of harsh, and I likes it that way.

Hmmmm, those so-call 'experts' seem to be in the 'not an expert' catagory.

Obviously, some haven't done their homework.

Don't you just hate it when we know more than TV twits do? YES!!!

Rumba Rue

**I say forget the pillaging and plundering on them types and jest burn 'em** :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I missed it, dandy pirates! I love it ! :ph34r: Having broken with convention, and having the opportunity to finery they'd never have afforded in their previous employment, I can see them wearing anyting they chose not to sell, and as much as they wanted of it all at the same time. Most pirates seem to have had a highly disposable attitude about property, and as you said, had fun showing off. Amazing that the wenches in port were so, uh, busy considering the pirates were all gay...

It's the "not thinking" angle that amuses me so much, watched M&C, far side the other night. Loved "the oceans are now battle fields"...like battles on water have not been going on since man learned to float .......Cordingly's assertion that most pirates came from merchantmen 'cause navel regulations made life kinder in the navy.....

• 1 month later...

I'm looking forward to the War of 1812 series, the reenactors look great and hopefully there will be some discussion on privateers.

Yours, &c.

Mike

Try these for starters- "A General History of the Pyrates" edited by Manuel Schonhorn, "Captured by Pirates" by John Richard Stephens, and "The Buccaneers of America" by Alexander Exquemelin.